Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
HSA Fundings Questions
Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: westerville
Posts: 243
HSA Fundings Questions

2014 DW and I were in HSA compatible Bronze plan and funded the HSA for 2014. For 2015 we moved to a Silver plan that is HSA compliant on its own however we have income that put us in cost share thus reducing deductible from 3500 family to 2000 Individual/family thus does not meet IRS HSA requirements .
1. If I funded the HSA again this year not knowing the cost share knocked us out what happens? or what to do? How would IRS know without audit?

2. Can I use funds leftover from 2014 HSA to cover 2015 Expenses ?


Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 579
I'm assuming you took the cost share model on the marketplace and thus it didn't offer an HSA, you simply forgot and contributed to your existing HSA anyway. I'd call them and verify, but I'm pretty sure if that is the case, you need to withdraw that money and any interest earned on it. If you do nothing, then when you file taxes, you will have the HSA contribution form they will have sent, and when asked about your health plan, it will flag it wasn't eligible and you shouldn't have contributed at which point not sure if there is a fine but you would have to take it back out. If you take it all back out, it will show the net contribution as "zero" on the tax form and thus "undo" the mistake so you won't have to worry about it. It should be no harm, no foul at that point unless you contributed to the HSA via pre-tax dollars at which point you would then owe the taxes on that money.

Your 2014 HSA if you were eligible at the time is all good... you can use it as you like to pay qualified medical bills. its just the 2015 money that is at issue.

karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by Trawler View Post
2. Can I use funds leftover from 2014 HSA to cover 2015 Expenses ?
You can use the funds leftover from 2014 HSA to fund 2099 expenses, if you want. There is no time limit.

Many retirees, like myself, figure it is just an expanded Roth IRA. I know I will use at least that much for healthcare sooner or later. Even medicare premiums will be OK to pay.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,851
Q: It’s December and I have noticed that I have overfunded my HSA. What do I do?

A: You have until your tax return is due to make corrections to an overfunded HSA. You’ll need to withdraw the overfunded portion. You can do this by contacting your HSA administrator, and they can provide you with the proper form to request a withdrawal.

Q: I just realized I overfunded my HSA and the tax return deadline has passed. What do I do?

A: Because you missed the withdrawal deadline, you’ll have to pay a 6 percent
excise tax on the excess funds and claim any earnings as income on your tax
from here
note... I would assume this info is still valid.
My HSA charges a fee to withdraw over funded contributions.... check yours.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about the HSA plan but my kid also has a non-HSA plan dvalley FIRE and Money 11 11-11-2015 03:35 PM
Transferring HSA money to a new HSA account Mulligan FIRE and Money 13 06-27-2014 08:26 PM
HSA Questions kaneohe Health and Early Retirement 13 11-11-2006 04:08 PM
HSA's - more questions justin FIRE and Money 16 10-25-2006 09:23 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.