Join Early Retirement Today
HSA question
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HSA question

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I can't find in a search.

We have about $24k in an HSA account but DH is no longer in the health plan that enabled us to contribute to the plan (he was laid off).

Can we use the $24k to pay medical expenses once we're on the exchange even if the plan we go with is not an "HSA" plan?

The HSA money is with Chase and there is a debit card associated with the HSA account.

Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Yes, as long as the expenses qualify as eligible medical expenses.

Not only that, you can also withdraw funds and "reimburse" yourself for any qualifying medical expenses since you started the HSA. Just keep good documentation.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
Thanks, makes me feel better that we aren't going to lose the money or have to go with a high cost HSA eligible plan on the exchange.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
Related question...

What constitutes "good documentation?"

2014 was our first year with the HSA. We had substantial expenses paid from regular savings and I reimbursed us from our HSA for a portion. I will reimburse us again for another portion soon.

Is the list from the insurance company showing our billed expenses and our costs good enough? Or do I need individual EOBs or bills from the provider? Do I need proof of how the bill was paid like the check number or charge card statement?? I tend to think I need to keep everything, but what will really be enough if we are ever audited on this?

We are now on year 2 of the HSA. We have a debit card for the HSA but so far haven't used it, we just pay for the small stuff and leave the HSA money invested.
Married, both 61. DH retired June, 2010. I have a pleasant little part time job.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Related question...

What constitutes "good documentation?"
A copy of the invoice that shows it is an eligible expense, along with a record of the payment.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote