Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I could understand the reason given by the broker above as being valid... that is "that by getting cost sharing means you should not have enough to fund an HSA". However, I would wonder if the cost sharing my change the character of the plan (reduced deductibles, etc) such that the plan my not qualify for an HSA. I would think they they would have to consider the form of the resulting plan after the inclusion of cost sharing.

Exit, I believe your assumption is correct.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my zip code 201% FPL results in a small cost sharing reduction that allows Silver plans to remain HSA eligible. At 199% FPL, the major cost sharing reduction kicks in making the plan non-HSA. YMMV.
Cost Sharing Reduction Subsidies (CSR) - Obamacare Facts

Old 11-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
That is how I understand it also, assuming you want to avoid cost sharing but still buy a silver plan.

Or go for bronze plan, then 250% of FPL is meaningless, you just need to be above 138% of FPL +$8750, no cost sharing danger for you if you are in the state with expanded medicaid
When I search for a plan, stating income of $40,000 (The strategy being $48,750 from pre-tax minus $8,750 going into an HSA) - why do only Silver plans pop up and no Bronze plans?

I would prefer a low premium as we have minimal healthcare needs. I understand that will require a high deductible and OOP max.

The other tip I could use - is how do I determine if there is nationwide coverage (expect to fulltime RV when house sells).

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
When I search for a plan, stating income of $40,000 (The plan being $48,750 from pre-tax minus $8,750 going into an HSA) - why do only Silver plans pop up and no Bronze plans?

I would prefer a low premium as we have minimal healthcare needs. I understand that will require a high deductible and OOP max.

The other tip I could use - is how do I determine if there is nationwide coverage (expect to fulltime RV when house sells).

Thanks for any help.
When you click "learn more about this plan", in the list that shows up has a couple check boxes dealing with notional coverage or multi-state.
As for why do no hsa plans come up?, good question. Are you doingt any other selection/filtering on plans? I would expect some bronze plans would show up too unless they were filtered out. Either filter only for bronze plans or sort from lowest premium to highest. Without knowing exactly what you are doing, it is hard to tell you why something is happening
Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
When you click "learn more about this plan", in the list that shows up has a couple check boxes dealing with notional coverage or multi-state.
As for why do no hsa plans come up?, good question. Are you doingt any other selection/filtering on plans? I would expect some bronze plans would show up too unless they were filtered out. Either filter only for bronze plans or sort from lowest premium to highest. Without knowing exactly what you are doing, it is hard to tell you why something is happening
Could be a characteristic of the Maryland Connection website...? After a couple of Silver plans pop-up, I go back and click on Bronze and a couple of Bronze plans are added to the list.

If I go to healthcare.gov and put in my zip, it only directs me to the Maryland website. I can only guess that a BCBS PPO is my best bet for national coverage...

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
In my zip code 201% FPL results in a small cost sharing reduction that allows Silver plans to remain HSA eligible. At 199% FPL, the major cost sharing reduction kicks in making the plan non-HSA. YMMV.
That is my assessment of the situation also. Going back to MichaelB's post HSA and HDHP with ACA cost sharing and his bolded portion of https://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Resources/...-5-14-2013.pdf "This may result in the plan variation not meeting IRS standards for an HDHP and therefore not being eligible to be offered in conjunction with an HSA" I believe the words "may result in" are being construed as "must result in" by some. In my opinion, and I do wish to be corrected if mistaken - as long as the cost sharing component does not result in deductible or OOP max being driven outside the HSA min/max a HDHP plan can remain HSA compatible, even with cost sharing.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
That is how I understand it also, assuming you want to avoid cost sharing but still buy a silver plan.

Or go for bronze plan, then 250% of FPL is meaningless, you just need to be above 138% of FPL +$8750, no cost sharing danger for you if you are in the state with expanded medicaid
So for Bronze - in a state with expanded Medicaid, for a family of two - would this be (round up the $21,983 which is 138% of FPL to) $22,000 minimum plus $8,750 = $30,750 in order to contribute the max with catch up to HSA ?

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
So for Bronze - in a state with expanded Medicaid, for a family of two - would this be (round up the $21,983 which is 138% of FPL to) $22,000 minimum plus $8,750 = $30,750 in order to contribute the max with catch up to HSA ?
So confused (not really)
Using your numbers I just look at this as
ACA-MAGI $22000 minimum AGI
The $8750 HSA Contribution is part of that calculation, make sure you put proper amounts in each spouse HSA! Yes I see what you are doing here.
Possibly another 3000 if you have >=3k in total losses after truing up gains and losses.
Any other subtracters (deductible T-IRA contributions or others?)

The next question is how to generate income. At these levels Q-divies and LTCG should be federal tax free.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
I found the exact same thing, although I am only looking at one Anthem/BCBS plan in a single zip as well. But yes, it seems that the insurance companies are designing in "cliffs" of their own to watch for. My 2016 target income is 249%. I over estimated income for 2015 and it was too late in the year before I realized I could have saved several thousand $ through cost sharing as our expenses were lower than planned (a good thing, for sure) and therefore our income being pulled from pre-tax funds was less than anticipated also. Our higher deductibles had already been met, and there is no mechanism to be credited for that water under the bridge. <head exploding now>
Old 05-09-2016, 08:28 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I currently have BCBS multi state plan and when talking to a BC customer service representative yesterday she said that multi-state is a marketing tool that may not mean what it says. What??

So the conclusion at the end of the conversation was like this. Yes, I have coverage in other states 1. IF they offer the BCBS Blue Network at the dr. office, hospital or facility. 2. IF they are in the Blue Network services are covered under my plan in network.

I don't know if all states offer BCBS but if you rv travel it is something to consider and research. Of course, emergencies out of state should be covered under the plan.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
I currently have BCBS multi state plan and when talking to a BC customer service representative yesterday she said that multi-state is a marketing tool that may not mean what it says. What??

So the conclusion at the end of the conversation was like this. Yes, I have coverage in other states 1. IF they offer the BCBS Blue Network at the dr. office, hospital or facility. 2. IF they are in the Blue Network services are covered under my plan in network.

I don't know if all states offer BCBS but if you rv travel it is something to consider and research. Of course, emergencies out of state should be covered under the plan.
From what I've talked about with my insurance company, "emergencies" are "life threatening". A simple broken bone or stitches would not count. Compound fracture likely would.
Yes, for multi-state coverage, the medical care would need to be done in network facilities excepting emergencies as defined by the plan. With a non-multi state plan... this is no in network out of state.
And the insurance companies have been shrinking the networks both in and out of state, so follow your plan rules and networks. If you have to have a pcp referral as part of your plan, do so even when you are out of state.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
Multi-State Plan refers to selling plans across state lines in multiple states. It does not refer to the size or scope of the provider network your policy is connected to. This means out of state non-emergency care may be out-of-network unless the BCBS policy participates in the BlueCard Program.

Quote:
An ongoing source of consumer confusion is the name: Multi-state plans don’t necessarily offer a national network of providers or in-network coverage away from home, except in emergencies. Some plans do, but consumers need to check the plan documents for network coverage just as they would with any plan.

Average premiums at the bronze, silver and gold levels for the Blues’ multi-state plans were all higher than average premiums for regular individual Blues plans at those metal levels.

“Because the multi-state plans are always priced higher, they’re not really increasing competition,” says Caroline Pearson, a senior vice president at Avalere. “They’re potentially providing a modicum of consumer choice. But they’re not injecting competition into the market.”
Reference: Despite Hopes Of Health Law Advocates, ‚€˜Multi-State‚€™ Health Plans Unavailable In Many States | Kaiser Health News

Blue Cross Association agreement to sell across state lines: https://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insur...am-fact-sheet/

BCBS BlueCard Program: Manage Healthcare Coverage for Travelers and Students | BCBS.com
Old 05-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I am confused here.

If a couple with a family policy has a Bronze HDHP that has a deductible of $5,000.00 per person, and the state exchange is paying (subsidizing) about 80% of the premium to the insurer, can one contribute to an HSA when the policy qualifies for HSA?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I am confused here.

If a couple with a family policy has a Bronze HDHP that has a deductible of $5,000.00 per person, and the state exchange is paying (subsidizing) about 80% of the premium to the insurer, can one contribute to an HSA when the policy qualifies for HSA?
yes. The PTC does not change the plan's parameters. Cost sharing with a silver plan can change deductibles and max out of pocket in addition to providing help paying the premiums.
The bronze HDHP plan does not change deductible or max out of pocket.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you very much, bingybear. Your explanation made the light finally go on in my head. I guess I was confused with the term "cost sharing".