Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Just when are $ impacts from that act supposed to to be really occurring?
They apparently occur as parts of the bill go into effect, some of which (such as allowing 26 yr olds to stay on their parent's policies) went into effect this year. Other provisions (such as mandating coverage) go into effect in coming years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Per month? year? you do not say...
Per month!! My yearly is now $10,872

Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retired in 06 my 5000 DD family coverage was $362./mo. for the 4 of us. It is now $832.......This is with Aetna

There has to be a breaking point on these monthly charges.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=SkisALot;1129309]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
The letter attributed the change to my policy not being grandfathered and subject to the new law.

Please clarify. It is my understanding that if a policy is NOT grandfathered it IS subject to the new law. The letter I received from my insurance company stated that because my policy is grandfathered, it is not subject to the new rules* and that if I changed policies I would lose this status and would then pay more in premiums. Are you saying that if I changed and lost the grandfathered status that I would be in a larger pool and could potentially pay less?

*The letter I received last year from my insurance company attributed some of the increase in premium to the fact that I was subject to the new rules. A lot of contradictions going around.
I bolded the answer in my previous post and will clarify now. My policy is not grandfathered as I moved to a higher deductible last year. Since it is not grandfathered it is subject to the new law I got the additional benefits this year without a premium increase yet (please see the remainder of my previous post for the insurance companys premium statement)
Old 11-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada
Someone has yet to tell me how forcing health insurance companies to take on 40-50 million new insured and accept all pre-existing conditions, while heaping on whole new helping of regulations going to make things cheaper.

Just as no one has told me how so many other countries have at least as good, if not better, medical outcomes at a MUCH lower cost per person and with considerably less inflation year after year.

There are a lot of moving parts involved here.
There is a lot of meat in these two posts.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

chap 38 referred to is for a law in the State of NJ, not the federal law....the section in question says: The rating system shall provide that the premium rate charged by the carrier for the highest rated individual or class of individuals shall not be greater than 350% of the premium rate charged for the lowest rated individual or class of individuals purchasing the same individual health benefits plan. The rate differential among the premium rates charged to individuals covered under the same individual health benefits plans shall be based on the actual or expected experience of persons covered under that plan; provided, however, that the rate differential may also be based upon age. The factors upon which the rate differential is applied shall be consistent with regulations promulgated by the commissioner, which shall include age classifications established, at a minimum, in five-year increments. There may be a reasonable differential among the premium rates charged for different family structure rating tiers within an individual health benefits plan or for different health benefits plans offered by the carrier.

The core of this is a limit of 3.5x between highest and lowest rates, and allows for age rating based on five year tiers. So a person who is 50 this year should see the same rates for the next five years, absent general rate increases.

Most states allow age banded rating tiers. Also, as people age they have more health problems, so if you are a for profit company, you want to link what you charge to the sections of your population of insureds who generate claims.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Oh this is less than thrilling... my COBRA coverage ($475) ends Jan. 31 and I'm shopping for a policy to cover me for the 16 months until I can go on medicare. I haven't applied yet - so no quotes so far. I planned for it to be hideously expensive so if it's less than my worst case scenario I'll be happy (sort of). I will hit Medicare 6 months before 2014 when most of the new provisions go into effect.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Oh this is less than thrilling... my COBRA coverage ($475) ends Jan. 31 and I'm shopping for a policy to cover me for the 16 months until I can go on medicare. I haven't applied yet - so no quotes so far. I planned for it to be hideously expensive so if it's less than my worst case scenario I'll be happy (sort of). I will hit Medicare 6 months before 2014 when most of the new provisions go into effect.
Rates drop drastically if you are willing to carry a high deductible. Be sure to use a broker. They are free and they can be of great assistance in the crazy world of individual health insurance.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25
I suggest you dont delay too long as you never know what snag might occur at the end. If you go to ehealthinsurance, you can put in your age and where you live and you can get an idea of how much a person in excellent health will pay at your age and location. If I remember correctly you can go out to 90 days to set your initial date of coverage, so you are inside that number now. Best of luck!