Join Early Retirement Today

Huge increase in my health care from Oxford
Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Huge increase in my health care from Oxford

I just love how all this Health Care Reform does nothing to help my health insurance rates. I got a letter this week from United Health Care informing me that due to the Health Care Reform Act, chapter 38, my rate is now based on my age. I turned 50 this year so my monthly premium will be going from $665 to $906 for an individual plan. A family plan would be $2644. Even with this high premium I pay $300 copays for each day I am in the hospital. $30 copays for Dr's.

This is nuts! How do they expect us to afford these rates?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
I just love how all this Health Care Reform does nothing to help my health insurance rates. I got a letter this week from United Health Care informing me that due to the Health Care Reform Act, chapter 38, my rate is now based on my age. I turned 50 this year so my monthly premium will be going from $665 to $906 for an individual plan. A family plan would be $2644. Even with this high premium I pay $300 copays for each day I am in the hospital. $30 copays for Dr's.

This is nuts! How do they expect us to afford these rates?
My United Health Care policy has always had rates based on age, and as far as I know, all individual and small group policies are the same. The increases have been double digit for many years now.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That does sound high. Maybe in 2014 you'll have better options. Nothing much has happened so far from the reform. I'm hoping I can even get insurance when DW retires and COBRA runs out.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Someone has yet to tell me how forcing health insurance companies to take on 40-50 million new insured and accept all pre-existing conditions, while heaping on whole new helping of regulations going to make things cheaper.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
Someone has yet to tell me how forcing health insurance companies to take on 40-50 million new insured and accept all pre-existing conditions, while heaping on whole new helping of regulations going to make things cheaper.
Just as no one has told me how so many other countries have at least as good, if not better, medical outcomes at a MUCH lower cost per person and with considerably less inflation year after year.

There are a lot of moving parts involved here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am a UHC customer as well. A quick Google search shows State Legislation with this title in New Jersey, Massachusetts and New York (and maybe more). What "Health Care Reform Act" is your letter was referring to?

The Federal bill passed in March 2010 was named "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)" and does not seem to have a Chapter 38:
Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Can you provide more details on your letter/location?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #7

Hello markelp, welcome to the forum. Tell us a little about your self over at the Hi, I am... forum here
Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #8

I think it is easy for the insurance companies to blame premium increases on the healthcare reform. I can't recall any insurance companies reporting sudden big losses, their profit margins seem to be surviving just fine.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

I live in NJ, the letter mentioned chapter 38 in the Health Care Reform Act that gives them the right to charge based on age now. I just don't understand these increases and how they expect us to afford them. My health care was slightly under $500 in 2009, now it's $906 as of Jan 2012. That's just plain crazy increases. If I was 55 years of age that $906 is over $1400 bucks!! And this is not a family plan, individual.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I was surprised to see my contribution through my company did not increase this year. First time in several years my employee contribution did not go up.

I am single and enrolled in a HSA plan but my biweekly contribution is only $20.77. I am not complaining!
Old 11-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #11

What MichaelB wrote - health plans are by age bracket. The "Health Care Reform" excuse also doesn't explain why my rates went up in 2000 and 2001 and 2002....
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
I live in NJ, the letter mentioned chapter 38 in the Health Care Reform Act that gives them the right to charge based on age now. I just don't understand these increases and how they expect us to afford them. My health care was slightly under $500 in 2009, now it's $906 as of Jan 2012. That's just plain crazy increases. If I was 55 years of age that $906 is over $1400 bucks!! And this is not a family plan, individual.
If you're still relativily healthy why not buy a high deductible HSA?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Prior to this health care reform stuff NJ had a 15% max rate increase per year. That went out the window now.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #14

Talk about outrageous, my son grad college and will come off of my health plan at year's end. They sent him a Cobra package to continue with the same coverage at a price tag of ~ $9,000, and thats for a 25 yo with no health issues. My retiree coverage from mega corp is such a rip off.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I, too, am feeling pummeled by the letters DH and I have just received "explaining" the reasons for our outrageous premium increases. I think the problem is partly due to the way doctors code the visits. For example I went to my primary care for what should have been (according to my insurance "cost" site), a low level appointment. The doctor coded it as a "high level" visit and instead of paying the $40 I expected, I paid $80. This same doctor's office has been phoning and writing me letters practically demanding that I get an annual physical. And it's not just his office. At a dermatologist's office the person at the desk got down right irate when I refused to make an appointment for a full body check. When she asked, "Well when are you going to make this appointment," I replied, "When you tell me that you're paying for it."
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

My rates have increased 12% every year for the last five years. This year no rate increase yet but I did get a letter from my insurance company explaining that we now have no cap on preventive care including physicals annually. I never was able to get a full physical for $300 so some always out of pocket but not this year. Our family has saved about $500 total on preventative care this year. The letter attributed the change to my policy not being grandfathered and subject to the new law. Because of this I called the insurance company to see what this new coverage was going to cost me. They said that I was in a larger pool now and rates were not expected to rise this year. Additionally they said the new law only allows them to make a certain percent profit and they had been above that so that was another reason rates would not likely go up. I hope not but I will believe them when it is in writing at my renewal date. If it is 12% or less then it was a good thing as that is the standard increase I have been paying. It sounds like there is some cost control on our side in the limit to their allowed profit percentage.

The above are just my actual costs and information received for my HD HSA family policy. They are not a political statement in any direction. I hope this information will be of some use to others.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got in on a 5k HSA HD plan right before the healthcare went into effect. So I dont get the benefits of the law. But, I also have avoided the costs of it too. 18 months into it, my premium is actually a dollar less than what I started out at, $72.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Per month? year? you do not say...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=fisherman;1129267]The letter attributed the change to my policy not being grandfathered and subject to the new law.

Please clarify. It is my understanding that if a policy is NOT grandfathered it IS subject to the new law. The letter I received from my insurance company stated that because my policy is grandfathered, it is not subject to the new rules* and that if I changed policies I would lose this status and would then pay more in premiums. Are you saying that if I changed and lost the grandfathered status that I would be in a larger pool and could potentially pay less?

*The letter I received last year from my insurance company attributed some of the increase in premium to the fact that I was subject to the new rules. A lot of contradictions going around.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #20

The monthly rate on my Healthnet plan went up from $650 to $682 ~ 5% which is the smallest annual increase I've seen in the roughly 10 years I've had the policy. I assumed that this was perhaps due to some provision of the Health Care Reform Act but after reading prior posts I am not so sure. Just when are $ impacts from that act supposed to to be really occurring?