Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Humana HDHP Renewal -15% increase
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Humana HDHP Renewal -15% increase

Just received our new rates for our individual high deductible policy from Humana. We have Humana One with an $11,900 family deductible and then 100% coverage. We have an HSA. Humana "owns" the Tampa Bay area with respect to individual health insurance so there are really no other competitive options. We work this every year with our broker.

Our premium for the last year was $375 and it has increased to $430 for the coming year. About a 15% increase. We had an 8% increase last year. I am 54 and DH will be 64 this year. Medicare for him next year.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #2

are the premiums you mentioned per person? Per month?
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Premiums are per month and cover both of us.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My family and I are paying more than that and both much younger with a 10K deductible from Humana One. We have been with Humana for the last seven years and premiums have increased 12 - 15% per year each year but this is the last as Ocare subsidies kick in next year! Current calculator numbers look great with a monthly savings of around $300 per month and a deductible of half as much. Will report in detail once we can buy a family plan on the Exchange to compare.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
My family and I are paying more than that and both much younger with a 10K deductible from Humana One. We have been with Humana for the last seven years and premiums have increased 12 - 15% per year each year but this is the last as Ocare subsidies kick in next year! Current calculator numbers look great with a monthly savings of around $300 per month and a deductible of half as much. Will report in detail once we can buy a family plan on the Exchange to compare.
Does you family include children? Our policy is for 2 adults only.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:00 AM   #6

When your policy renews in 2014 and they offer you the option to switch to a "metal" plan or terminate it, $430/mo will look cheap by comparison.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
When your policy renews in 2014 and they offer you the option to switch to a "metal" plan or terminate it, $430/mo will look cheap by comparison.
Do you know any other songs, or is this the only one in your playbook?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Do you know any other songs, or is this the only one in your playbook?
Sorry you didn't like my response. In 2014 there will not be any metal plans for $430/mo for a 54 and 64 year old couple unless they qualify for a subsidy. Average rates for that age are expected to be $600-1000/month or more depending on the plan type. Rumors are that carriers will terminate all of the existing non-grandfathered business as of 12/31/13 or the policy's 2014 renewal date, forcing current insureds to move to a metal plan or choose a non-metal plan and pay the penalty.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
Administrator

Not about like or dislike. Just wondering if there was anything more than "the price is going up for everyone". That point was made long ago, but now we have calculators, tax credits, substantial changes in coverage, and new policy options that make this a much more complex discussion. States are also beginning to bring their exchanges online.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Not about like or dislike. Just wondering if there was anything more than "the price is going up for everyone". That point was made long ago, but now we have more details from some states, calculators, tax credits and subsidies, and substantial policy and coverage changes that make this a much more complex discussion.
The price isn't going up for everyone, I never said that. Prices will go up for those with HDHP/HSA plans and younger/healthier people, while prices will generally go down for the older/sicker people who are already paying high rates. The idea of all policies being terminated on 12/31/13 or upon policy renewal in 2014 is relatively new. It has not been confirmed by insurance companies publicly yet, but from internal sources through the grapevine, I have heard that from more than one company.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Administrator

Rumors and grapevine? That's different.

What we know is some policies currently held may be withdrawn because they do not meet mandatory coverage standards. We also know some policies may see steep price increases because they are currently underwritten and enjoy the most favorable risk profile for the insurer, these may be withdrawn. HSA policies will continue to be offered, and there is no reason their pricing needs to change other that underwriting. In fact, the primary force driving potential change in policy pricing is underwriting, and to constantly talk about one without the other is pointless.

We have already seen Vermont publish its proposed exchange policies. Surprisingly, prices seem quite similar to current levels.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
This is what Humana wrote in response to my question as to whether my plan was a qualified Obamacare plan. I forgot to ask with which "metal" my plan aligned.

"Thank you for your recent inquiry submitted through the Message Center.

According to the new healthcare reform regulations your current plan will stay as is and would only change if you qualify for government subsidies (payments to offset the cost) if you cannot afford coverage. Once the healthcare reform regulations are made available to us, we will be providing the information to our members. You can expect to receive additional information regarding the changes to healthcare later on this year.

Thank you for contacting Humana where it is our vision to be the most trusted name in health solutions. If you have further questions, please continue to use the Message Center or call our Customer Care Department at 1-800-833-6917."
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #13

Quote:

What we know is some policies currently held may be withdrawn because they do not meet mandatory coverage standards. We also know some policies may see steep price increases because they are currently underwritten and enjoy the most favorable risk profile for the insurer, these may be withdrawn. HSA policies will continue to be offered, and there is no reason their pricing needs to change other that underwriting. In fact, the primary force driving potential change in policy pricing is underwriting, and to constantly talk about one without the other is pointless.

We have already seen Vermont publish its proposed exchange policies. Surprisingly, prices seem quite similar to current levels.
The "rumors and grapevine" I referenced are coming straight from the horse's mouth, they are just not officially published because final guidance from HHS has not been given yet. Each company I sell for has stated either in webinars or over the phone that all non-grandfathered plans will be terminated or converted to metal plans eventually (automatic conversions are unlikely IMO), but whether that will be on 12/31/13 or at 2014 policy renewal date has yet to be determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
This is what Humana wrote in response to my question as to whether my plan was a qualified Obamacare plan. I forgot to ask with which "metal" my plan aligned.

According to the new healthcare reform regulations your current plan will stay as is and would only change if you qualify for government subsidies (payments to offset the cost) if you cannot afford coverage. Once the healthcare reform regulations are made available to us, we will be providing the information to our members. You can expect to receive additional information regarding the changes to healthcare later on this year.

Thank you for contacting Humana where it is our vision to be the most trusted name in health solutions. If you have further questions, please continue to use the Message Center or call our Customer Care Department at 1-800-833-6917."
Key phrase highlighted.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:

Or highlight this line.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:

Michael-please don't give me another reprimand-but Vermont like mass and a few other states had already higher rates than most other states because of guaranteed issue. it's the state that essentially had no cost controls on insurance that will see the highest increases. in mass(which i live) will actually see decreases.

Ciao
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Or highlight this line.
$11.9k deductible HSA plans are not going to be qualify as metal plans. They don't have a 60% actuarial value and the "catastrophic" (a.k.a. HSA) plans available under the metal tiers are only available to people under age 30 or with insurance costs over 9.5% of income. Unqualified HSA plans may be available outside the exchange but it would incur the same penalty as not having any insurance, and the existing policies are still going to be terminated.

Believe me, I hope it doesn't happen this way. I have over 400 clients on the books and if all of the policies are terminated this law is probably going to cost me half my book of business.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Michael-please don't give me another reprimand-but Vermont like mass and a few other states had already higher rates than most other states because of guaranteed issue. it's the state that essentially had no cost controls on insurance that will see the highest increases. in mass(which i live) will actually see decreases.

Ciao
x2

States like MA, VT, NY, NJ that already had guaranteed-issue policies will probably see only a slight increase or decrease in premiums. States like VA, DC, MD, OH that have significantly lower average costs will see huge increases for anyone under the age of ~55.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #18

Quote:
$11.9k deductible HSA plans are not going to be qualify as metal plans. They don't have a 60% actuarial value and the "catastrophic" (a.k.a. HSA) plans available under the metal tiers are only available to people under age 30 or with insurance costs over 9.5% of income. Unqualified HSA plans may be available outside the exchange but it would incur the same penalty as not having any insurance, and the existing policies are still going to be terminated.

Believe me, I hope it doesn't happen this way. I have over 400 clients on the books and if all of the policies are terminated this law is probably going to cost me half my book of business.
So what Humana wrote in their email to me is a straight out lie. Humana lie to me? Really?

I did send them another email asking what "metal" level I would be. Their answer should be interesting.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #19

Quote:
So what Humana wrote in their email to me is a straight out lie. Humana lie to me? Really?

I did send them another email asking what "metal" level I would be. Their answer should be interesting.
They aren't lying, they just don't have the HHS guidance to give you a different answer yet. The law as written states that all non-grandfathered plans must adhere to any and all requirements imposed by the law, including all of the essential health benefits, which your existing plan does not have. Originally it was thought that insurance companies would just add those benefits to the existing plans and modify the deductibles/coinsurance to comply with the law, but that no longer seems to be the case. Terminating the existing plans and replacing them with new compliant plans looks a lot more likely. Supposedly we will be getting a final answer on this within the next 1-2 months.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
They aren't lying, they just don't have the HHS guidance to give you a different answer yet. The law as written states that all non-grandfathered plans must adhere to any and all requirements imposed by the law, including all of the essential health benefits, which your existing plan does not have. Originally it was thought that insurance companies would just add those benefits to the existing plans and modify the deductibles/coinsurance to comply with the law, but that no longer seems to be the case. Terminating the existing plans and replacing them with new compliant plans looks a lot more likely. Supposedly we will be getting a final answer on this within the next 1-2 months.
My plan definitely doesn't have maternity coverage so I guess that knocks it out immediately. Their answer may not be an outright lie but I would say it's very misleading in that it puts forth more certainty than really exists.