Humana vs Blue Cross??

reubenray

Recycles dryer sheets
Being I am retired and my wife will be in a few years we need to get some insurance in case of some emergency. Going through "Ehealthinsurance" there are several plans with both Humana and Blue Cross for us in Louisiana. They range from $300 up depending on the plan and deductible. We are hoping to get something around $500 a month.

We very seldom (knock on wood) go to the Doctor except to get our few (blood pressure) prescriptions refilled. So we believe a high deductible plan would hurt us more than help. Some type of major medical plan may be best.

Trying to get a live person to discuss these two insurance is just about impossible. Everyone wants to do it online. We want to sit down and discuss our options. I also believe insurance agents are just as bad as car salesmen.

Does anyone have an preference of one over the other?

eHealthinsurance IS an insurance agent. They earn a commission when you buy coverage through them. All of their employees are licensed agents. They do have customer service staff (agents) available to discuss your options.

Just because you are not sitting across a desk with an individual doesn't mean that you aren't dealing with an insurance agent. With this Agency, most of their effort is over the internet as that's all many need.

Some people think they are avoiding paying a commission when they buy directly from a company or on the internet. In fact, for personal coverage, the commission (which is small) is built into the price and cannot be eliminated as that is how the rates are filed with the insurance commissioner.

So, if you would feel more comfortable talking with someone, use their 800 number, or find an insurance agent who you do feel comfortable with.

-- Rita

IMO, I think that Blue Cross has better name recognition. This isn't to say that Blue Cross is better than Humana. When I got my own insurance a few years back, I chose Blue Cross over others even though I may have had a better deal with others.

Or, the choice may just be a matter of personal preference -- such as Coke vs Pepsi.

Last edited:
eHealthinsurance IS an insurance agent. They earn a commission when you buy coverage through them. All of their employees are licensed agents. They do have customer service staff (agents) available to discuss your options.

Just because you are not sitting across a desk with an individual doesn't mean that you aren't dealing with an insurance agent. With this Agency, most of their effort is over the internet as that's all many need.

Some people think they are avoiding paying a commission when they buy directly from a company or on the internet. In fact, for personal coverage, the commission (which is small) is built into the price and cannot be eliminated as that is how the rates are filed with the insurance commissioner.

So, if you would feel more comfortable talking with someone, use their 800 number, or find an insurance agent who you do feel comfortable with.

-- Rita
+1

Comparing insurance policies is very difficult and there is no advantage to using the online service vs a local agent. Look for a couple of agents in the local phone directory and call them.

Do you not currently have insurance ? With existing conditions ( high blood pressure ) you probably will be rejected, or rated up. It's not easy to purchase insurance over the age of 50 plus existing conditions.

If you do use an agent, you should consider going with an agent with NAHU

NAHU - Consumer Information - Find an Agent

It doesn't cost more to talk with a person. Plus, the agents should have experience with dealing the the insurers.

Do you not currently have insurance ? With existing conditions ( high blood pressure ) you probably will be rejected, or rated up. It's not easy to purchase insurance over the age of 50 plus existing conditions.

We do not currently have insurance due to me retiring about 5 months ago. I do expect to pay more than the basic quote, but do not think we would be turned down. Our blood pressures are controlled and by one of the most basic type of medication.

We was able to get a policy with Humana for $514 a month with no pre-existing clauses.

Congrats! Everyone I know that has tried for an individual policy has been rejected or uprated/exclusions such that it was worthless. Most had no conditions.

Back
Top Bottom