Join Early Retirement Today

Hyaluronic acid injections and knee problems
Old 11-04-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hyaluronic acid injections and knee problems

Does anybody have any experience with having hyaluronic acid injected into the knee joint to relieve pain and improve mobility? Some articles claim it can help quite a bit. Other say it is no better than a placebo. I trust this group more than any article.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 03:21 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

SO had a series while delaying her third scoping.

They allowed her to delay surgery until after the summer sports and vacation season. (We are not a cold weather sports couple.) They did not eliminate the need for her surgery, merely made the waiting time bearable.

As for placebo effect or not, do you really care so much about the pathway if you get the results? I do not believe they were exorbitantly expensive nor had significant risk of side effects; she experienced no side effects, just some relief. Her surgeon was very supportive.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I am hoping that the injections can delay any surgery for several years. My plan is to get the knee fixed once and be long gone by the time the artificial joint wears out.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for posting this. I hope there are more replies. I have a knee that's just about worn out...doesn't bend much, doesn't straighten out all the way, and hurts if I sit still for more than 5 minutes. I have wondered whether these injections would prolong the useful life of the knee for a while.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I have osteoarthritis in the knee and seriously aggravated it, could barely walk. Got an injection almost two years ago. Still pain free. A friend who has had them says each one he gets lasts a little less long than the one before, but he's successfully putting off knee replacement for some years. (Note: not for people allergic to birds or feathers.)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Act2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

DW Has had three rounds of the injections in her bum knee. She wasn't "bone on bone", but was in a lot of pain and had trouble walking. She got great relief from them, and hasn't needed one for over a year. The needle is a big one, and placement of the goo is critical. I've heard some places are using imagery of some type to help guide the needle, which sounds like an improvement over relying on the tech's experience and technique.
I'd definitely give it a go before getting a knee replacement, it might buy enough time to avoid a second replacement. Knee replacements can go wrong, so going with a less invasive approach for a while is attractive.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had three knee surgeries (two on one knee and one on the other) and the shots delayed one of my surgeries for over six years, though eventually I needed it done. Whether it was a placebo effect or not, I didn't care; it stopped bothering me. Good luck in your decision!
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Don't underestimate the placebo effect. It seems to be an effective pain reliever for many people. Anything that helps with the pain is fine with me.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you or a loved one has had these injections were there any significant side effects? Can you drive home after getting the injection?

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If you or a loved one has had these injections were there any significant side effects? Can you drive home after getting the injection?

Thanks for the advice.
No side effects for my sample size = 1.

Seemed beneficial; maybe medical impact, maybe placebo effect; regardless, benefits reported. (Note sample size.)

Definitely drove home post injection.

Notes from others: Skill (maybe experience) of person administering injection seems to be a significant factor in satisfaction with results.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #11

I had it, but my doc did it after the knee was cleaned out. Knee is bothering me again and the doc would like to use it, but I will have to pay out of pocket. BCBS in Mass no longer covers it. Make sure you check your insurers.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had the shots 3 times now. The first was called Orhovisc and worked great. Insurance stopped covering it and recently got something called Synvisc which seems to be working.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

DW reports some discomfort at the site of the injection (despite some numbing/cold treatment before the needle). No problem walking back to the car, driving home, etc. She had a three-shot series, and felt more fullness/pressure with each shot. No real pain, and it felt better than before the treatment right away.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

No complications here!
Speculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Thanks for posting this. I hope there are more replies. I have a knee that's just about worn out...doesn't bend much, doesn't straighten out all the way, and hurts if I sit still for more than 5 minutes. I have wondered whether these injections would prolong the useful life of the knee for a while.

I'm scheduled for TKR on Thursday - the second round of shots just didn't work. The first round I believe gave me 7 months relief. Of course it is hard to talk about pain you didn't have.. Sounds to me like you too are a candidate for TKR. It isn't an easy choice but when a bad knee is altering your life style - it is time.

There is a guy who walks the neighborhood early in the AM he's older, done both and he says no more pain... That got me interested.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I'm scheduled for TKR on Thursday . . . .
There is a guy who walks the neighborhood early in the AM he's older, done both and he says no more pain... That got me interested.
Best wishes for a successful procedure. I'm no expert, but several friends have had knees replaced and they've told me consistently that the post- op physical therapy is key to getting good, pain- free leg function back. It's not fun, but it needs to be treated just like a j*b and worked at with a lot of discipline and diligence. There's a limited window of days to regain full range of motion and glitch- free movement, after that you're not going to see any significant improvement. Those who work hard at it are rewarded with decades of improved QOL.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I'm scheduled for TKR on Thursday - the second round of shots just didn't work. The first round I believe gave me 7 months relief. Of course it is hard to talk about pain you didn't have.. Sounds to me like you too are a candidate for TKR. It isn't an easy choice but when a bad knee is altering your life style - it is time.

Good luck with your total knee replacement surgery this afternoon! We'll all be cheering you on, and hoping that soon you will be walking the neighborhood like that older guy, with no more pain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Best wishes for a successful procedure. I'm no expert, but several friends have had knees replaced and they've told me consistently that the post- op physical therapy is key to getting good, pain- free leg function back. It's not fun, but it needs to be treated just like a j*b and worked at with a lot of discipline and diligence. There's a limited window of days to regain full range of motion and glitch- free movement, after that you're not going to see any significant improvement. Those who work hard at it are rewarded with decades of improved QOL.
DW had left TKR done in August, her QOL has improved dramatically - as has mine! Her limited mobility and pain was preventing us from making any kind of plans (shopping, travel, even getting the mail) that included much walking, it is a great relief for the both of us to have that burden removed. Point is, QOL factor impacts those around the affected individual also.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:09 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My mid 70's mother had the series of 3 "gel shots" (as she calls them) to her knee recently. She had issues with her knee buckling under her previously along with arthritis pain.
She says that she feels much better and would do it again if needed. (She is trying to avoid knee replacement surgery).
And she drove herself home after every shot. Though she did say the shot itself was a little painful.
Morgan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a synvisc shot in a knee once. I asked the ortho about it because he said I would probably need a knee replacement in the near future. At the time I was walking with a lot of pain. Had mri and told arthritis and resulting almost bone on bone because of almost no cartilige left. The doctor ordered it and did a fantastic job of injection. Less pain than a cortosone shot...the first of which had worked previously, but not the second. Anyway - the effects lasted about 8-10 months and during that time I started really exercising to build up my quads. That was about 8 years ago and so far I am doing well. The key is the muscle development around the knee to support it...at least for me. Guess where I got this info - from a Dr. Oz program. I dont watch it, but a friend told me that was going to be a subject - and that started me down the right path. But synvisc really gave me the relief and I think must have also tamed the inflamation. Now dont go for more than a day or two without my leg exercises....good info on specifics for knees on the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
itsmyparty is offline   Reply With Quote