Join Early Retirement Today

I am Reading "UltraPrevention".........
Old 01-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am Reading "UltraPrevention".........

Interesting book, basically they think a lot of the diseases people suffer from are due to a lack of certain minerals and/or amino acids or proteins or vitamins in the body. They say a simple blood test can tell if you have a deficiency in one or more of those areas.

I asked my GP about it, but she is not a fan. Maybe for my next blood test, I'll request they test for my levels on all that stuff...........

May be Rich will comment. There is a local MD that will do this kind of work, and I am considering going to see her.........thoughts??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It cant be that simple.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
It cant be that simple.
Agreed.

However, SciAm had a wonderful article a few issues back on vitamin D, how it helps, and the fact that many of us are deficient, especially during the winter in the north.

I've been taking 1000 IU of D daily since October and haven't been sick or died yet!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

FinanceDude- Be careful about requesting testing on level of such things in your blood. If your doctor cannot substantiate a disease process that she is trying to evaluate, your insurer will likely deny coverage. Esoteric testing is very very expensive and you will be left holding the bill.

I think this stuff about nutritional deficiencies is absolute garbage. We are far better fed in all respects ( proteins, vitamins, trace minerals) than any of our forefathers. Taking a daily multivitamin is fine. But unless you have specific symptoms, screening is worthless.

And the local MD who does this sort of thing is usally a fringe-type person who will want to sell you something. In our area, the guy usually wants to sell you chelation therapy too, cash only- no insurance accepted.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
And the local MD who does this sort of thing is usally a fringe-type person who will want to sell you something. In our area, the guy usually wants to sell you chelation therapy too, cash only- no insurance accepted.
That's because of the big Pharma/big medicine CON*SPI*RACY!! They don't want us to learn of the benefits of Noni juice, homeotherapy, etc becase it threatens their MON*O*POLY! The only reason these alternative cures aren't being proven in double-blind studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals is the vested interests of BIG MED*I*CINE. Just like the SOB's at Exxon suppressed the 200 MPG carburetor!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That's because of the big Pharma/big medicine CON*SPI*RACY!! They don't want us to learn of the benefits of Noni juice, homeotherapy, etc becase it threatens their MON*O*POLY! The only reason these alternative cures aren't being proven in double-blind studies published in reputable peer reviewed journals is the vested interests of BIG MED*I*CINE. Just like the SOB's at Exxon suppressed the 200 MPG carburetor!
What the hell is noni juice?
Old 01-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What the hell is noni juice?
Noni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apparently much different than nana juice.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Noni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apparently much different than nana juice.
Bet its a great laxative.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Eat your fruits and veggies. A multivitamin can't hurt, though probably unnecessary unless you don't do the former. Live north? A touch of vitamin D is probably reasonable. Fats and sweets? You know the routine. Stay or get skinny and active. Wine's nice, too.

Then go forth and be happy.

But... for $189 I'll check your porcelain level. I take Paypal.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Diet Pepsi, homemade bacon cheeseburger, fried potato wedges(aka chips). Did have a small bowl of homemade veggie soup for desert. Equate(WM generic) multi vitamin as the magic silver bullet.

heh heh heh - skipped running in the snow .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Diet Pepsi, homemade bacon cheeseburger, fried potato wedges(aka chips). Did have a small bowl of homemade veggie soup for desert. Equate(WM generic) multi vitamin as the magic silver bullet.
Aaahh - job security.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Aaahh - job security.
WHAT! he had a diet pepsi in that order
Old 01-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Bookends of health with plenty of delicious sin in the middle!

I didn't live thirty years in New Orleans for nothing!

"Live to eat - not eat to live."

heh heh heh - ok ok so there are no studies to support my theory. I'll eat a bag of oranges tomorrow to atone - or something.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Bookends of health with plenty of delicious sin in the middle!

I didn't live thirty years in New Orleans for nothing!

"Live to eat - not eat to live."

heh heh heh - ok ok so there are no studies to support my theory. I'll eat a bag of oranges tomorrow to atone - or something.

I could live on fried potatoe wedges. With ranch or blue cheese dressing. Well maybe if you threw in some buffalo wings with extra hot sauce...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
amen !
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

heh heh heh - skipped running in the snow .
With that diet, you'll live to be 120...........

Old 01-31-2008, 07:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Eat your fruits and veggies. A multivitamin can't hurt, though probably unnecessary unless you don't do the former. Live north? A touch of vitamin D is probably reasonable. Fats and sweets? You know the routine. Stay or get skinny and active. Wine's nice, too.

Then go forth and be happy.

Ok, ok. How come a C-reactive protein test isn't a standard check for folks with a family history of high cholesterol? It's not like the test is brand new.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:53 AM   #18

Quote:

I think the local PFALTZGRAFF outlet does it for $79.99
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote