Join Early Retirement Today

I am seeking olive oil with premium taste
Old 09-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am seeking olive oil with premium taste

Hi. Some mornings I want to used my rower soon after waking up, before I turn on the heat in my unit. It seems not to be ideal for my blood sugar to exercise hard on an empty stomach. I decided to drink a small glass of olive oil before I start. Well, taste problems that I never noticed on a salad or coked vegetables come out clearly with straight olive oil shots. I have been using a medium quality oil from California Olive Ranch. It costs about $10 for 750 ml at Safeway. The label says "for everyday meals". It is actually better than anything I have tried from Trader Joe. Anyway, taken neat it burns the back of my throat. I am ok with paying more, because I would never use more than ~a jigger per day. I do prefer California brands, because I think I am more likely to actually get olive oil than with the product from Greece or Italy or Spain or North Africa. The "for everyday meals" suggests to me that California Olive Ranch has some better quality oils, I just do not know their names or where to buy them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Swap to coconut oil.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Costco olive oil is often recommended - it stands up to the purity tests, it's less expensive, and you can get organic too if you wish. It's beautiful stuff.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Costco olive oil is often recommended - it stands up to the purity tests, it's less expensive, and you can get organic too if you wish. It's beautiful stuff.
+1. He asked for CA, but since you already mentioned Costco olive oil...we like it a lot too.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Swap to coconut oil.
I'd try something different. Walnut oil tastes pretty good straight. Also good for you.

If it has to be EVOO, I like Colavita. It's got a nice flavor, and doesn't taste bitter when I lick it off my fingers. Never tried it straight, though. It's Italian, not CA, but pretty widely available.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #6

Not what you requested as it is Spanish but my go-to olive oil is Columela. I buy it at the local big grocer.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:57 PM   #7

We like two brands: Temecula Olive oil (California). We have it shipped to Colorado https://www.temeculaoliveoil.com/

The other is Olea Estates Home which import in bulk from Greece, repackages it for online sales, farmers markets, etc. In Colorado we use their Colorado site https://oleacolorado.com/
The Olea Estates stuff is great, and their olives sold separately are awesome.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Swap to coconut oil.
+1
I really like the taste of Costco's coconut oil. I generally have a tablespoon or two per day.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Any suggestions?
Have you got an "olive oil bar" somewhere near you? I had no idea such places existed (being a man of simple tastes), but one just opened up near me in Dayton, so they must be all over. Sounds like you could stop in at a place like that and taste several types, infusions, etc. I'd expect the products to be premium priced, but maybe it would be worth it.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Have you got an "olive oil bar" somewhere near you? I had no idea such places existed (being a man of simple tastes), but one just opened up near me in Dayton, so they must be all over. Sounds like you could stop in at a place like that and taste several types, infusions, etc. I'd expect the products to be premium priced, but maybe it would be worth it.
+1

we do not have an olive oil store by that name, but we have 2 or 3 independently owned and franchise olive oil stores. Really a nice variety to choose from
Old 09-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Temecula Olive Oil Co. I am a member.

info@temeculaoliveoil.com
Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

Dunno about the price point, but we've gone through 3500 ml of this California company's meyer lemon olive oil this summer for our nightly caprese. Their regular stuff is good too. https://www.ooliveoil.com/

Another step up in price, which we loved at their onsite tasting, but can't justify buying given that we aren't drinking it, is https://shop.roundpond.com/store/ind...category_id=71
Old 09-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
There's a place near me that opened up recently too. I bought a creamy butter OO and a killer Walnut OO. They've also got a large selection of vinegars. The Walnut OO and an Anjou Pear Balsamic Vinegar make an incredible caprese. If they've got a store like this in Snow Hill (known as Slow Hill) MD, they've got to be on every corner in Seattle.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. He asked for CA, but since you already mentioned Costco olive oil...we like it a lot too.
He said he preferred CA olive oil because he thought it was less likely to be tampered with as compared to imported. The Costco Kirkland brand has been proven to be 100% olive oil.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the very helpful and experienced responses. It will take me a while to run these down. When I start trying them I'll report back.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I think that California Olive Ranch offers the best value and that's the one I use everyday. They have different blends of EVOO with various taste profiles, so you may find one that suits you better although some are harder to find than others. I have tried other California brands like McEvoy Ranch Olive Oil, very good but over my budget for everyday use. I have also heard of, but have not tried Stonehouse California olive oil.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vegetable oil and sport, the original bio-diesel.
In the early days of self supported ultradistance cycling, renowned rider John Stamstad hit upon the idea of filling one of his water bottles with canola oil - readily available, easy sipping, calorie dense food delivery. Eureka
Old 09-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #18

But why olive oil? Sorry, kind of makes me gag thinking of chugging a shot of olive oil. I like it on my salad and cook with it. I microwave a very small portion of regular oatmeal and a slice of precooked bacon before working out. Even yogurt is fast. I haven't tried it in the morning yet but I just bought a Vitamix and smoothies (frozen fruit, yogurt, water, milk, protein powder) take about 5 minutes to make. Is there some benefit to drinking olive oil?
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #19

Costco also has avocado oil, tasty and smooth, and soooooo good for you.

10 Amazing Avocado Oil Benefits For Your Health & Beauty
Old 09-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Interesting how many people report olive oil bars in their neighborhoods. We too have one a few blocks away. When it opened I doubted that it could become a viable business but it has been thriving for a couple of years. Ha is in Seattle so there must be some OO bars nearby.