Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just turned 64 and I have had some aching at the top of one leg and right below the knee on the other leg. It has bothered me some, when I am lying down to go to sleep. I have rubbed Bengay on my legs. I have also noticed that I am not going up the stairs as easily as I used to before this year.

My girlfriend was just diagnosed with bursitis of the hip and she is only 62.

I would say that it is probably a combination of getting a little older and a physical job.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #22

A little pain reminds me that I am alive.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #23

Most likely, the aches are due to BOTH, getting older AND doing physical activities your body is not used to.
I took 10 years away from playing golf, from ages 48-58 I barely ever picked up a club. Before that I would play, walking and carrying my bag, 3-5 times a week, during the season (April-November here).
When I picked the game back up at 58, (I'm 63 now) I went through a myriad of issues. Although I had done a lot of walking, golf course walking is different, so my legs took a little while to catch up. But my golf swinging muscles still aren't what they were at 48.
I went through some pretty serious tennis elbow and "golf" elbow problems in both elbows, a nasty bout of plantar fasciitis in each foot, and issues with knees, hips and wrists.

30 years ago my buddies and I would go on a 4 day golf trip and play 36 holes a day. Now, if I'm walking, I stick to 9 holes. I can play 18, but the last 4 are not really any fun.

I agree that easing into new activities, and doing other "occupational therapies" such as core strength exercises, will help, but I would not expect your body to respond to new physical challenges as it would have a decade ago, let alone 2 or 3 decades ago.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting hearing your life story's and what you have learned about your body in doing physical work as we age. The mind says I can and the body wants too but in most cases it is to much for the body to do to much.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I certainly have more aches and pains at 62 than I did in my 50's. But not complaining as I can still golf and bike. A neighbor who is 3 years older has had knee and hip replacement surgeries. Two days ago had rotator cuff surgery. Nope......I'm not complaining.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I certainly have more aches and pains at 62 than I did in my 50's. But not complaining as I can still golf and bike. A neighbor who is 3 years older has had knee and hip replacement surgeries. Two days ago had rotator cuff surgery. Nope......I'm not complaining.
Exactly! I feel very fortunate also and not complaining one little bit. lol
Old 04-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

One thing I have found is that doing things in the gym is not the same as doing things i real life. I can ride their spin bikes 5x a week, but get me out on my new bike and suddenly some muscles are complaining. Spinning and actually riding a bike on a road or trail apparently do use some muscles differently.

Same with a treadmill and hiking. I can walk the treadmill very often, but get out on a mountain trail and different muscles complain.

Not that the spin bikes and treadmills are not good. They just aren't the same as real life. My 2¢.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:09 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Your hiking doesn't prepare your frame or muscles for lots of upper body work that you describe. And since this is a job, you won't have the luxury or waiting a few days to rest those worn out muscles ready for next time. So your recovery will not be ideal. Rest on your day off and it should get easier. And next year if you go back, incorporate some exercises that work the whole body into your regular routine at least a month before you resume work. (not a bad idea to have a bit of that all the time tbh).
You nailed it. Hiking and "active" living will not prepare someone for a physical job. Walking for 3 or 4 hours is entirely different than pushing a wheelbarrow for a day, or digging holes for half a day, or shoveling 20 yards of gravel....and then doing it all again the very next day.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

No aches or pains to complain about. Just lucky. Have never run, and walk like a duck, so biking has been the "exercise" choice. Beginning to get a little more of a challenge, so don't do hills, and stay away from heavy traffic. With 43 miles of roads at Woodhaven, and virtually no traffic, a perfect way to keep the muscles stretched out without risking life and limb. Hmmm... that said, maybe I should do that.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

imoldernu >>> you are doing well! I wouldn't start or stop what you are doing now.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 65 and more sedentary than I should be. This time of year, I start getting outside more, do more walking and more yard work. For the first month, it hurts to get up in the morning. Every year is a little bit harder.

I've found that stretching is a lot more important than it used to be for me. I get a little less flexible every year and lot of what I thought was joint pain is tight tendons. My spouse has dragged me to yoga classes twice a week and that makes a big difference for my lower back, hips and knees. I've found that if I do a thorough routine of stretching at least twice a week, the pain gets much less.

I've also found that you've got to watch the side affects of any medications you might be taking regularly. My doctor did have me on a daily statin because my cholesterol numbers were a little high. I mentioned at my yearly physical that my joints were sore in the morning (which I attributed to old age) and was surprised when he told me that this was a known side affect of statins. After trying a couple of different ones, I finally got him to take me off of them altogether and my pains got much better.
Tractor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor guy View Post
I'm 65 and more sedentary than I should be. This time of year, I start getting outside more, do more walking and more yard work. For the first month, it hurts to get up in the morning. Every year is a little bit harder.

I've found that stretching is a lot more important than it used to be for me. I get a little less flexible every year and lot of what I thought was joint pain is tight tendons. My spouse has dragged me to yoga classes twice a week and that makes a big difference for my lower back, hips and knees. I've found that if I do a thorough routine of stretching at least twice a week, the pain gets much less.

I've also found that you've got to watch the side affects of any medications you might be taking regularly. My doctor did have me on a daily statin because my cholesterol numbers were a little high. I mentioned at my yearly physical that my joints were sore in the morning (which I attributed to old age) and was surprised when he told me that this was a known side affect of statins. After trying a couple of different ones, I finally got him to take me off of them altogether and my pains got much better.
excellent point about the statins! I've known several people who have had your experience.
I am not a physician, but I really question the validity of using them to adjust cholesterol numbers that are "a little high".
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Very good point about statins. My mother was on them for many years and that was the side affect and can cause permanent damage to muscle and joints. That is what I have been told and read. I'm not on any but my Doc. wanted me to go on them and mine is just a little high. He did leave it up to me but I feel the side affects would be more harm then good. That is my thinking but not sure if that is correct or not.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Thankfully I'm not on any meds, since it appears, with many of them, that the side effects (almost) outweigh whatever benefits are obtained.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
excellent point about the statins! I've known several people who have had your experience.
I am not a physician, but I really question the validity of using them to adjust cholesterol numbers that are "a little high".
I had a cardiologist tell me I needed to be on one cause my numbers were a little off. I agreed to talk to my PCP. His response was 'I'll write you a script, but I wouldn't take a statin with the numbers you have".
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
you hike 100's of miles
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #36

you hike 100's of miles

you wrote you hike hundreds of miles, hahahahah, its not age, its the hard work, i joined the army at 17, i was in great shape. the first few weeks i was in agony, i think your fine its just a exhausting hard job you have, glad you love it, enjoy ur summer job,
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I've had a sore right leg for 3 months. I must be old or gettin' there.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm a big believer in phasing into any new activity. That includes boosting the activity to a higher level. One does not want to get an "over use" injury and then have to stop entirely or end up requiring some medical procedure.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

IIRC George Burns had a saying: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
IIRC George Burns had a saying: If I wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, I must be dead.

Frank and I think it is hilarious that our "aches and pains of aging" are proceeding at about the exact same pace. When we stand up after sitting for a long time, for example, we both make the same faces and stand there for the same amount of time before we feel we can start to walk.

But gosh, even with the aches and pains, life is so much better in our sixties than it ever has been before, for both of us. My heart goes out to those who are both old and poor, and have to work in their old age whether they want to or not.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote