Join Early Retirement Today

I can only hope to be doing this well at 94
Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can only hope to be doing this well at 94

DH and I took his 94 year-old mother to a Reds game today for her birthday. He dropped us off in front of the stadium before parking the car but MIL walked to her seat on her own. No cane, no walker, no wheelchair. We had to take two escalators each way but she stepped on and off with perfect balance and timing. She has excellent insurance but she takes only a blood pressure pill, a potassium pill, and a water pill making her drug bill $10 a month. She could probably use a new hearing aid but her glass is always half full. The only thing she really complains about is the quality of the food at her assisted living facility. Doesn't get much better than that!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

My 95 year old grandmother still drives (locally). Right now she's on a Baltic Sea cruise. She's still living independently. She thinks George Bush is an idiot. All things considered, not bad for 95!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #3

Amazing! Quite a contrast to what I see on a day to day basis (I work in a nursing home). You should ask them what their "secret" is - I always love hearing those responses from the fit elderly that I have worked with in the past. Usually staying active all their life and having a positive "can do" attitude is what I hear. Of course good genetics doesn't hurt either

In contrast, I've seen some 65 year olds that your 90-something year old parents/grandparents could run circles around! The variation in physical abilities as we age is amazing. Seeing what I see every day is a constant reminder to eat well, exercise, and be thankful for the simple things in life!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
In contrast, I've seen some 65 year olds that your 90-something year old parents/grandparents could run circles around! The variation in physical abilities as we age is amazing. Seeing what I see every day is a constant reminder to eat well, exercise, and be thankful for the simple things in life!
Yep. I see plenty of 60-year-olds who seem to look and feel 90, and some 90-year-olds that seem to look and feel 60.

Usually it's a matter of staying active and engaged with the world around you. Oh, and good genes don't hurt either.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Amazing! Seeing what I see every day is a constant reminder to eat well, exercise, and be thankful for the simple things in life!
And choose your parents well.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

In the local obit's yesterday was a man who passed, after retiring many years ago from the same company that I retired from last year.

My age - 60
His age (at passing) - 103

Since my/DW's retirement plan forecast is "only" up to age 100, we're rethinking about going back to work ...

(no, not really )

- Ron
Old 06-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm planning on holding off any thoughts of going back to w*rk until I'm absolutely certain I have no other choice to survive. I've run lots of calculations and know that if I live to 95 I'm definitely going to have to reenter the work force. Depressing, yes. But I must face reality...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #8

I met a 65 year old woman yesterday who was caring for her 85 year old sister AND her 104 year old mother at home!!!!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #9

A 104 yr old mother!!! Oh my! I haven't accounted for that kind of longevity --need to go back to FIRECALC straight away. I don't want to have to go back to teaching at age 100!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #10

65/85/104

That means mom had kids 20 years apart, one at 19 (in 1923) and one at 39 (in 1943). Interesting.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
65/85/104

That means mom had kids 20 years apart, one at 19 (in 1923) and one at 39 (in 1943). Interesting.
Isn't it though? She had a total of 6 kids. This is the youngest and the oldest that I am referring to.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:33 PM   #12

I also find it interesting that the oldest and the youngest women grew up in very different worlds. The youngest could easily be the child of the oldest.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #13

Planning to make savings last past 100? I expect to have begun rotting in the ground 25 years earlier. I guess every family is different. I'll be shocked if i'm physically independent into my 70's. I'm in my late 20's and have as hard a time getting up a flight of stairs as my 59 year old overweight dad who has heart problems. And I have about 20 years left of 12 hour shifts in a factory. I'll be lucky to be without a walker by the time social security kicks in. I "plan" to live until age 75. That seems very optomistic for me. I have a strong feeling if i'm still alive past that age that i'll wish I wasn't.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM   #14

I'm hoping that a combination of inherited genes and better life style will keep me healthy and long-lived.

DW just un-earthed my Great Grandfather's Military Record. This was a man who I knew very well and used to run errands for. He was mentally sharp right up to his death at age 92 when I was age 14, and was still walking around with the aid of a stick.

We have photos of his medals including a medal for bravery (Mlitary Medal) rescuing a horse-drawn artillery piece under fire in 1917. He was a deep mine coal miner all his working life and joined the reserves (in England) in 1909, served throughout the war (1914 - 1918) including Flanders and both battles of The Somme. He was gassed twice and shot in the right arm. In 1919 he was discharged age 40 and 60% disabled according to his record. He never ever spoke about the war to me so reading his record was fascinating.

He went back down the mines and in 1938 (age 59) fell down a mine shaft and shattered both legs, one of which had to be amputated above the knee, so I always knew him with a "wooden" leg. The last few years of his life he lived with one of his daughters and her family. Like all my family he was also a heavy smoker.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

All four of spouse's grandparents were Russian (pre-Soviet) Ashkenazi emigrés who lied about their ages so many times that they couldn't remember their actual birthdates.

But all four were documented well into their 90s and probably all joined the century club. Her parents are the same so far. My surviving grandparents & parent show the same longevity tendencies. We've planned accordingly for lifespans of 120 years.

If we undershoot, we won't care. If we overshoot, we'll be immortalized as holographic Wal-Galaxy greeters...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Plan ahead - My brother, years ago, had neighbors down the block - daughter was 80+, and doing fine, mother was 100+, and doing fine, and the cat was 20-something. We wondered about the pipes ....

Ta,
mews
Old 06-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #17

My grandfather just turned 97 years old, and he still dances, swims three times a week, walks 2 miles every day and occasionally lifts weights. He does wear bifocals has 2 hearing aids, and in terms of drugs he takes Aricept to slow any mental degradation (and there have been signs over the past couple of years).

Surprisingly, he still drives extremely well -- better than most of my family at times. I chalk this up to the fact that he used to teach defensive driving for ticket recipients.

I think his secret to longevity is the fact that he has stayed active every day of his life. He is the last of seven brothers by many years, but interestingly enough, wasn't the youngest (I think he was one of the middle brothers).

He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote