Join Early Retirement Today

I can tell you when it's going to rain now...yippee?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can tell you when it's going to rain now...yippee?

Last night I went to an auction where it was gawdawful humid even with some fans going, and I found my right hip/calf in my leg aching so badly that I started squirming after a couple hours there. It's kinda a constant thing when I sit in humidity now I find--any other weather I can take except humidity or when it's going to rain. Yes, folks, I have now officially entered old age where I can really tell the weather by my aches and pains...OMG, I AM old now!

I figure it was cause I was thrown over a car (as in completely over a car like a swan dive) in my early 20's and that's where the arthritis landed as it always hurts in the exact same place--my right side where I landed!
Ironically, the wrist I broke never gets shooting pains or aches anymore at all, but did the first 7 years or so after the accident.

So, I guess this is what it means when old folks get aches and pains when it's going to rain? Swell, another reminder that time is not on my side.
Anyone else here have something similar? Can you tell when it's going to rain now, too? Dang, some of us really have hit geezerhood....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

The bass tell me when it's going to rain. They start bitin´!

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can tell when it's going to rain as well. I use radar.weather.gov though.

I have had several broken bones and related surgeries. I have metal bits, grafts, plastic, and bionic materials inside me. I make grinding and creaky noises whenever I move. None of them seem to indicate any changes in the weather. Some things hurt rain or shine.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
gone traveling

I fell down my grandparents basement stairs before the age of ten, and broke my collarbone.

Today (in my 60's) over a half-century later, I can forecast rain/snow better than AccuWeather ...

The difference? I don't get paid for a correct forecast...
Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Administrator

It rains a lot here. We got 10" of rain, off and on during June. I can't tell if it is going to rain, but my sinuses tell me when the barometric pressure drops so I guess that's related.

Aches and pains increasing? Nope - - the weather doesn't affect me that way. I love rainy days. But, I have never broken any bones except my toes, and they never ache.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have some arthritis in one hip, also from trauma, but weather doesn't seem to affect it.

Ha
Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Sure, whenever I decide to play golf in the afternoon.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #8

If I don't have an umbrella and am all dressed up, chances are it will rain.

But in terms of the senses, I can smell rain coming at times.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #9

I used to have a forecasting humerus, which broke into three pieces after crashing with a hang-glider, that predicted the weather for about eight years.

For the last twenty or so it has been mute. Now rely on the weather radar.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
If I don't have an umbrella and am all dressed up, chances are it will rain.
Washing the car always worked for me.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Last night I went to an auction where it was gawdawful humid even with some fans going, and I found my right hip/calf in my leg aching so badly that I started squirming after a couple hours there. It's kinda a constant thing when I sit in humidity now I find--any other weather I can take except humidity or when it's going to rain. Yes, folks, I have now officially entered old age where I can really tell the weather by my aches and pains...OMG, I AM old now!

I figure it was cause I was thrown over a car (as in completely over a car like a swan dive) in my early 20's and that's where the arthritis landed as it always hurts in the exact same place--my right side where I landed!
Ironically, the wrist I broke never gets shooting pains or aches anymore at all, but did the first 7 years or so after the accident.

So, I guess this is what it means when old folks get aches and pains when it's going to rain? Swell, another reminder that time is not on my side.
Anyone else here have something similar? Can you tell when it's going to rain now, too? Dang, some of us really have hit geezerhood....
Hi Orchidflower. I feel your pain. Really. It's not the age, it's the abuse. I too can tell when it's going to rain or storm. Swan dives over cars - now that's a story.

Funny - the first Rheumatologist I saw (Yale Hospital) insisted that there was no such effect and it was all in my mind. My response was - it was not in my mind but was in most of the rest of me, especially the knees.

Such is life. Stretching helps. So does Florida. Glass or two of wine doesn't hurt, either.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any body parts that can predict the weather; however, when I walk in a room coming from the outdoors, I do have a couple of areas on my body that will let people know that it's cold outside.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Yep, those rosy cheeks will give you away every time...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Don't we all?

However, these are usually not visible.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't have any body parts that can predict the weather; however, when I walk in a room coming from the outdoors, I do have a couple of areas on my body that will let people know that it's cold outside.

You can tell by the rising barometer?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
You can tell by the rising barometer?
Why yes....yes I can.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

After five right shoulder surgeries including three total shoulder replacements I know a day ahead of time when the barometer is dropping and stormy weather is headed our way.

The old aching shoulder is a pretty reliable indicator. Please pass the pain relievers. The aching is much worse in cold rainy weather.

I used to wonder why so many of my senior clients were grumpy, now I know. ARTHRITIS

2soon2tell