Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My 6 year old cousin, the apple of her daddy's eye, was walking with my uncle out to the barn to milk the cows. She dropped to the ground and died instantly from an aneurysm. It was incredibly sad.
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #22

Omg, not a child! How sad and awful.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Geesh! My son just popped the top on a soda can behind me. Whew!
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks a lot! I'm now deathly afraid of anything that goes pop, on me or anywhere else.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Barring accident/epidemic I will die from stroke.
Too bad there's not some way to assure the first stroke will be the last one.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #26

If I'm wrong tell me, but I know I'm right in pleading with all of you to have a screening for an aortic aneurysm. It saved my life. All you have to do is Google Life Line Screening and that web site will tell you when and where the screenings will be held. I'm not promoting Life Line as there are others out there. Just have the screening-it's the easiest thing in the world and may save your life. I may not have had the opportunity to write this tonight had I not agreed to the screening.

Again, I'm pleading with you.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:18 AM   #27

Seems my mom had something like this just a couple days ago, but before I go further, she is alive and getting better.

She got up in the morning and was conversing with Dad. All of a sudden she got confused, her words wouldn't come out, couldn't read or write. Doc says it was a minor stroke, gave her some meds, said she would most likely recover well. So far she has done well and has regained a lot of her speech capacity, but she does speak slower and misses a word here and there.

Thanks for the advice to get checked.

R
Old 02-04-2012, 04:33 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The reason I started this thread is that my elderly parent has an aortic aneurysm and is ready to go. All affairs are in order. There will be no surgery. Now just live life to the fullest possible since the AA does not affect daily activity and don't worry about the future.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Seems my mom had something like this just a couple days ago, but before I go further, she is alive and getting better.

She got up in the morning and was conversing with Dad. All of a sudden she got confused, her words wouldn't come out, couldn't read or write. Doc says it was a minor stroke, gave her some meds, said she would most likely recover well. So far she has done well and has regained a lot of her speech capacity, but she does speak slower and misses a word here and there.

R
This sounds more like an aneurysm in the brain as opposed to an abdominal aortic aneurysm.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler

R
Sounds like a TIA (transient ischemic attack). Is she on low dose aspirin?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
The reason I started this thread is that my elderly parent has an aortic aneurysm and is ready to go. All affairs are in order. There will be no surgery. Now just live life to the fullest possible since the AA does not affect daily activity and don't worry about the future.
I am so sorry to read this, and wish the best for your parent, your family, and you. I hope you can be with your parent during this time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sounds like a TIA (transient ischemic attack). Is she on low dose aspirin?
She was on low dose aspirin a few years back. Doc took her off of it for some reason. She is back on it now, along with Plavix. It sounded like a TIA to me too. My parents are simple, and don't have a whole lot of medical knowledge, so I'm sure the doc told them it was a TIA or a "small stroke" to help them understand it.

R
Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #33

An MRI revealed my brain aneurysm (they were looking for the cause of my hearing loss). I had an endovascular coiling to treat the aneurysm. The procedure was a peice of cake.

I had a college roommate who used to suffer from migraines. She died in her sleep when she was in her early 30's from a ruptured brain aneurysm. She had only been married a few months, her husband woke up in the morning and found her dead beside him.

When a brain anuersym leaks it causes the headache of a lifetime. Some people go to the ER and are treated for migraines then die later of a rupture. A leak is a precursor to a rupture.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post

When a brain aneursym leaks it causes the headache of a lifetime. Some people go to the ER and are treated for migraines then die later of a rupture. A leak is a precursor to a rupture.
This is what happened to a young man who worked with us - he was in his mid 20s - had horrible headaches - got diagnosed with an anuerysm...while awaiting surgery it burst and he died - so sad. He was one of the nicest men I'd known - very sad