I Got Injured From a Nightmare

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last night I had one of my infrequent nightmares.

I thought that our bed was up in the air, and Lena was falling off. I jumped and grabbed her. I thought I was holding her from falling.

After I realized it was only a dream, I noted the pain in my eye, figuring I must have brushed the cornea with the bedclothes. I remember learning that the cornea has the highest density of pain receptors. Or maybe it's the tip of the penis and the cornea comes in second.

Anyway, the pain was 5/10 in the morning, but twice jumped to 9/10.

I went to the eye doctor. He was able to see the "chunk" that had been taken out of the cornea and told me it would heal quickly (1-3 days).

Almost all the pain is gone.

Lena wasn't injured.

My husband has a small scar on his forehead from when I punched him in my sleep about 20 years ago with my left hand and the wedding ring was sharp! Still don’t remember what dream inspired that reaction!!

.... I remember learning that the cornea has the highest density of pain receptors. Or maybe it's the tip of the penis and the cornea comes in second.

To figure out which has the highest density of pain receptors, you could poke yourself in your eye with the tip of your penis.

If I could do that I'd aim a bit lower - :)

While I have never actually been injured in a dream/nightmare, I have been recently having nightmares about crawling about in a low coal mine. And not being able to get out.:(

Which, in my dream, is terrifying, despite having w*rked in underground coal mines that had seam heights from 6.5' to 20' for 35 years. Although I did have some experiences crawling about in low areas in my career, I never gave them a second thought. Now, in my dreams, DW is volunteering me to go back to w*rk in these places, and I can't get back out. :nonono:

At least I haven't hit my head in my dreams....

Clearly a failure of the body's protective mechanisms. You are supposed to become paralyzed during REM sleep to avoid these incidents.

I've never injured myself in a dream, but did once getting up during the night going to the bathroom. My bedroom door was slightly closed for some reason and I walked right into it. Cut myself over an eye. I looked like a boxer that just lost a fight. I was bleeding so bad I thought I would have to go to emergency room for stitches. Luckily I had some liquid bandaid. I held the area tight and sure enough the stuff worked. Still have a small scar.

Unrelated to dreams or night time injuries but a friend of mine recently had a freak injury. He was pushing a wheelbarrow out to the street with some yard debri and stumbled head first right into the back edge of the wheelbarrow. Cut himself on the forehead so bad he had to call an ambulance as his wife can't drive anymore. Took 16 stitches to close and ended up with 2 black eyes. Sounds like something I would do. Ha.

I've kicked my wife a few times while playing football in my sleep or other dream activities. However, the most embarrassing incident by far was one time while traveling, and sleeping, by train. We were seated opposite one another and a man was sitting next to me. I was still studying karate at the time and I dreamt that I was free fighting an opponent, but unfortunately with a downward block of a kick aimed at me in my dream I punched the chap next to me right in his goolies. :nonono:

I think sleeping is dangerous for you Al. Didn't you have a hypnic jerk a while back that caused you an issue?

I know a hypnic jerk almost caused me to lose a big hunk of tongue. My dentist just freaked when she saw what I'd done.

My husband has a small scar on his forehead from when I punched him in my sleep about 20 years ago with my left hand and the wedding ring was sharp! Still don’t remember what dream inspired that reaction!!

I think I get punched, slapped, hit in the face once a month by the missus while sleeping. I guess I should be happy she doesn't wear her wedding rings to bed!

Last night I dreamed I ate a 5 lb marshmallow.
When I woke up, my pillow was gone.
(rimshot!:))

Last edited:
I think I get punched, slapped, hit in the face once a month by the missus while sleeping. I guess I should be happy she doesn't wear her wedding rings to bed!

And you're taking the missus' word for it that she punches, slaps and hits you in the face while she's asleep?

It wasn't sleep related, but I once got a paper cut on my cornea, self-inflicted. Those sheets of Avery mailing labels are razor sharp. OMG I thought I was going to die. I had to wear a protective contact for a couple of days so it would heal 'flat', which it did, thank heaven.

Glad yours wasn't a more serious injury. The body is an amazing thing.

It wasn't sleep related, but I once got a paper cut on my cornea, self-inflicted. Those sheets of Avery mailing labels are razor sharp. OMG I thought I was going to die. I had to wear a protective contact for a couple of days so it would heal 'flat', which it did, thank heaven.

Glad yours wasn't a more serious injury. The body is an amazing thing.

Shortly after we were married, DW pulled a sheet of paper of the tractor-feed printer and cut my eye. I was sitting on the floor next to her messing with the computer. The cornea was cut bad enough that she was pretty freaked out. By the time we got to the emergency room and saw a doctor, it was almost completely healed.

I have the same issue and asked the doctor about it. It is a neurological problem that usually old men get. The only solution is to sleep alone provided you are not injuring yourself or take a heavy psych drug that really knocks you out when sleeping. I told DH if I continued to punch him I would move into the guest room but fortunately it has stopped.

:2funny:: I thought I had a more sophisticated sense of humor, but apparently not. :blush:

Edit: Al, I wasn't laughing at your eye, I'm sorry you hurt yourself. It was that Duck!

Last edited:

And you're taking the missus' word for it that she punches, slaps and hits you in the face while she's asleep?

I have the same issue and asked the doctor about it. It is a neurological problem that usually old men get. The only solution is to sleep alone provided you are not injuring yourself or take a heavy psych drug that really knocks you out when sleeping. I told DH if I continued to punch him I would move into the guest room but fortunately it has stopped.

For some reason I would like to chart the correlation between any form of marital discord during the day and these night time sleep anomalies. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom