Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SG, I hope to have ten percent the courage and attitude when if I ever have to deal with the big C...

Btw, I "highly" recommend medicinal "herbs"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
SG, I hope to have ten percent the courage and attitude when if I ever have to deal with the big C...

Btw, I "highly" recommend medicinal "herbs"...
Thank you, and...

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #303
Give me a forum ...

SG,

My heart just fell when I read that you have to go through more surgery, let alone radiation treatments. It is like being kicked when you're down, except you seem able to find a way to get back up again. I will continue to pray and send good thoughts.

I continue to be impressed by your scientific explanations of exactly what is going on, and why.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:29 AM   #304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For legal reasons I cannot give any recommendations on the internet. Plus, I am not an oncologist. Instead, I am sending you my very best wishes for a prompt recovery. Take care, Simple Girl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
So, what does this mean? Local doc's recommendations:

1) another MRI and mammo's of the reconstructed breasts (ouch!) to further assess the situation, see how much breast tissue remains, etc.

2) additional surgery to completely remove the areola on the L

3) radiation for BOTH breasts due to the close margins
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #305

Wishing you a speedy recovery to this dishearting set back.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #306
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for your candor about this personal, frightening, and painful subject. Your clear explanations about your decision-making process are something I will remember.

Wishing you a swift journey through this, and hoping for the best possible long-term outcome.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #307
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Did I hear someone mention dancing?

I just can't help mahself.......

Sorry to hear of your setback but glad you found this now. You bear gave me my laugh for the day. All the best.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #308
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I go away for the weekend and this happens! Simple Girl, you are truly amazing and we are all 100% behind you, willing you to beat this thing. Knowledge is power.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #309

Yep, it's been a LONG time. I keep thinking I'll update here, then something else comes up, and I think...I'll wait til I know more...and then I find out something else, and so on, and so on, etc., etc. So...I figured I'll just share what I've been through and know so far and you guys can tag along with me on the "unknowns".

OK, recap, since I can barely follow this mess, I know you all certainly will need a summary!:

9/20/11: had bilateral mastectomies with 1st stage reconstruction

10/11: 2nd opinion path showed cancer bilaterally (we thought right side was prophylactic going into surgery), with close margins bilaterally, positive margin L behind spared areola. Bilateral radiation recommended due to close margins. No signs of invasive cancer - all cancer staged 0 at this time (excellent prognosis)

11/10/11:
had repeat mammo's and MRI prior surgery to remove L areola. Mammo on R showed one remaining suspicious calcification. Surgeon feels cannot localize it at this time well enough to biopsy - will wait and reassess in 6 months (3rd opinion facility feels I should have this done ASAP - but need to heal from 2nd recon surgery so likely will do this end of Feb/March)

11/15/11:
had surgery to remove L areola due to positive margins. Pathology showed all clear afterwards.

12/23/11: 2nd stage reconstruction surgery...6 hour surgery - uggh! Rough at first, doing much better now.

1/9/12: 3rd opinion on bilateral radiation - most likely no on L, but they are staining more slides. Most likely no on R, but still awaiting final tumor board recommendation (they decided to do a tumor board on my case due to its complexity - so thankful).

1/10/12:
3rd opinion medical oncologist calls me. The tumor board did not like one small spot they saw on my slides on the left. They couldn't be sure, so they ordered more slides from my tissue block in Miami which they stained themselves (I didn't realize...not all of your tissue is looked at...initially they just take a random sample...can you believe that?).

Well, it came back as I actually had a small spot (3 mm) of invasive ductal cancer on the left side. This was stunning, shocking, completely shocking news. The oncologist reassured me that since it is small and my 3 nodes that were taken were clear, that my prognosis is still good. However, I have been moved up (or down, however you look at it) a stage (stage T1a, for those who care - it's still very early breast cancer with a good prognosis). I now will have to take a medicine called Tamoxifen for 5 years to reduce my risk of the cancer taking up residence somewhere else in my body. Scary, scary. She said although it is a very, very small risk, it is possible some cancer cells had escaped and gotten into my blood stream before mastectomy. Soooo, this is why I will take that medicine.

On to more crazy news...they are now obtaining the entire tissue block from Miami to look at. I suspect they are looking for more invasion and also are trying to get more tissue to test for certain factors and assess how aggressive this cancer is. I'm not sure if this is what they are doing, but I think so based upon my reading. I think they are trying to determine if I need chemo or not.

All I know is I now feel in extremely good hands and and SO unbelievably thankful I went for a 3rd opinion. They found something I wasn't looking for...but...my gosh - I want every fighting chance to beat this! I can't believe I've been walking around unprotected for 4 months already. It's pitiful, disgusting...I'm ANGRY. But the biggest thing I feel is thankfulness that I even found out and now can treat it appropriately.

So...we wait...again!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #310
Give me a forum ...

How upsetting this must be, SG! I'm glad you went for that 3rd opinion, too.

Sounds like with the new treatment all will be well, but gee, one would think they would look at all the tissue the first time.

Take care and know that all of us here are behind you as you battle this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like with the new treatment all will be well, but gee, one would think they would look at all the tissue the first time.
I know!!! I just don't understand it, when obviously it can lead to misdiagnosis and an incomplete treatment plan.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #312
Moderator Emeritus

I hope the important thing is that the surgeries took care of the cancer and the tamoxifen will act only as a "just in case" backup, SG. Thank goodness for the second and third opinions and the close look at more of the tissue.

Hang in there. Are you back to dancing a little bit?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #313
Give me a forum ...

Glad you got the 3rd opinion as well. At least you can move forward with the appropriate treatment. Taking Tamoxifen won't be a big deal. I believe that is pretty standard. I know my mother took it. Hopefully chemo won't be needed, but I know you can meet it head on if you do have to go that route.

Best of luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I hope the important thing is that the surgeries took care of the cancer and the tamoxifen will act only as a "just in case" backup, SG. Thank goodness for the second and third opinions and the close look at more of the tissue.

Hang in there. Are you back to dancing a little bit?
I was for a few weeks before my last surgery. I am still recovering, but hope to be back on the dance floor in a few more weeks!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Glad you got the 3rd opinion as well. At least you can move forward with the appropriate treatment. Taking Tamoxifen won't be a big deal. I believe that is pretty standard. I know my mother took it. Hopefully chemo won't be needed, but I know you can meet it head on if you do have to go that route.

Best of luck!

Thanks Dawg! Yep, Tamoxifen is very common and typically tolerated well, so I am not upset about having to take it. There are some side effects/concerns, but the oncologist feels they are worth the risk in my case.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #316
Give me a forum ...

My first reaction to your post was I wanted to get my can of whoopass out and do some damage.

But after I cooled my boot heels, I realized how proud I am of you for taking control of your situation.

Stand firm sg and continue to do what it takes to get well.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My first reaction to your post was I wanted to get my can of whoopass out and do some damage.

But after I cooled my boot heels, I realized how proud I am of you for taking control of your situation.

Stand firm sg and continue to do what it takes to get well.
LOL!!! Thank you!

I'm glad I listened to that little inner voice that told me push forward!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #318
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
LOL!!! Thank you!

I'm glad I listened to that little inner voice that told me push forward!
So are the rest of us
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #319
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

SuperGirl, you're giving that cape of yours a real workout! Proud of you for your efforts in avoiding the Kryptonite. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #320

SG - best wishes as you recover...

I, through my mother, have been dealing with breast cancer for 24 years, but she is alive and doing well at age 74, so your prognosis is very good!

My mother first had bc at age 48 (when I was 18, 24 years ago). One breast, I don't remember what stage, but I know they found it early. She had a masectomy (single), and took Tamoxifen for 5 years, with no side affects. She got cancer in the other breast in her early sixties, had that one removed, same thing, healthy for years. A few months ago, she was diagnosed with cancer in her hip, but it was "related" to the former breast cancers. No surgery, just a few weeks of radiation, and they say she is cancer-free again. At 74, she and my dad were able to leave for their normal 3 months in Florida as scheduled, and although she is still a little tired, she is out there playing golf, etc, just as always.

She has the upbeat, take charge attitude that you have; so I have no doubts you will thrive when this is all over! She jokes (somewhat morbidly, in my opinion) that the next time she gets cancer, she'll already be dead from something else.