Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #321
gone traveling

SG,

Knowing and dealing with that is always better than not knowing and not dealing with the consequences. Glad you got this detected and are taking action. Best wishes and keep up the positive attitude.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
one would think they would look at all the tissue the first time.
That's common sense, but AFAIK they're looking at individual cells, and even a very tiny tissue sample contains a LOT of cells.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
SG - best wishes as you recover...

I, through my mother, have been dealing with breast cancer for 24 years, but she is alive and doing well at age 74, so your prognosis is very good!

My mother first had bc at age 48 (when I was 18, 24 years ago). One breast, I don't remember what stage, but I know they found it early. She had a masectomy (single), and took Tamoxifen for 5 years, with no side affects. She got cancer in the other breast in her early sixties, had that one removed, same thing, healthy for years. A few months ago, she was diagnosed with cancer in her hip, but it was "related" to the former breast cancers. No surgery, just a few weeks of radiation, and they say she is cancer-free again. At 74, she and my dad were able to leave for their normal 3 months in Florida as scheduled, and although she is still a little tired, she is out there playing golf, etc, just as always.

She has the upbeat, take charge attitude that you have; so I have no doubts you will thrive when this is all over! She jokes (somewhat morbidly, in my opinion) that the next time she gets cancer, she'll already be dead from something else.
GREAT story - thank you for sharing!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #324
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My heart went out to you while I was reading your story again. I am so glad that you went for the extra opinions. I don't know that I would have went for a second opinion, let alone a third one. You have given me valuable information, in case I ever develop any problems. I am so glad that everything is in the early stages. Just remember that there are many people that love you on here and are keeping you in our thoughts while you are going through all of this. Thank you again for posting about this and all of your updates. You are providing a valuable service . Best wishes.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #325
Recycles dryer sheets

Wishing you nothing but the best!

On a personal note I'd like to know what you think in ref. to the tamoxifen. (side effects) My family has a very strong history of breast cancer and my doc would like to see me on the tamoxifen for preventive care.

Thanks
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #326
Full time employment: Posting here.

Same here, SG!
Keep on your path awake and aware, questioning, and asking. Thank goodness you listened to your intuitive re: getting other opinions. You are an inspiration to us all!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
My heart went out to you while I was reading your story again. I am so glad that you went for the extra opinions. I don't know that I would have went for a second opinion, let alone a third one. You have given me valuable information, in case I ever develop any problems. I am so glad that everything is in the early stages. Just remember that there are many people that love you on here and are keeping you in our thoughts while you are going through all of this. Thank you again for posting about this and all of your updates. You are providing a valuable service . Best wishes.
Thank you Dreamer! I'm sooo glad sharing my story is helpful to others - that is definitely something that makes me feel good amongst all the cancer cr*p! LOL

Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Wishing you nothing but the best!

On a personal note I'd like to know what you think in ref. to the tamoxifen. (side effects) My family has a very strong history of breast cancer and my doc would like to see me on the tamoxifen for preventive care.

Thanks
I have only done some preliminary research on Tamoxifen, but the most serious concerns are blood clots and endometrial cancer. Here is a link that describes Tamoxifen, benefits, risks, etc:

Medscape: Medscape Access

I would want to know, if I were you:

1) since you don't have cancer, and thus you don't have tissue to find out if you are estrogen-receptor positive, how do they know this will work for prevention? (my cancer cells are 95% ER positive, so I am a good candidate for Tamox)
2) you have a family history, but have you been genetically tested? If you are BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive, you may have a stronger reason to take it, I would guess
3) what research, if any, has been done on using Tamox as prevention in women who have never had cancer?

If you want to learn more from women who may have faced this question, I would go to the boards I frequent and pose your question, specifically on the high risk women forum: Breast Cancer Forum: High Risk Women
Since I already have cancer, my knowledge is focused on that and on prevention of recurrence; prevention of a initial cancer would be a whole different set of risk vs benefit scenarios, so I think those gals on the high risk forum would be most well versed in this. Hope that helps!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #329
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister

That's common sense, but AFAIK they're looking at individual cells, and even a very tiny tissue sample contains a LOT of cells.
Exactly.

Kudos to you, SG, for your strength and courage in the face of this unwanted challenge. You continue to be an inspiration.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #330
Full time employment: Posting here.

Simple girl,
Sounds like you have things under control, your control. DW just ended three years of tamoxifen, if that is the hormone positive treatment. She found it to be a pretty rough drug that affected many things in subtle ways. I could ramble on for pages on the treatment and drugs, she had chemo, but not radiation, but she is now doing great. You are spot on to take control of your personal situation. DW spent untold hours over the last three years researching all aspects of her case. The doctors told her she was way over involved, I thought she was being pretty obsessive, but she is a very smart woman. She gave herself, in my opinion, an advanced degree in this stuff. She got rid of one oncologist, a known jerk, and took herself off of tamoxifen after a little over three years with the new oncologist's concurrence. Statistically, a minimal help after that based on the early diagnosis, also 1B, and the side affects, can affect your heart. She has a family history of heart problems.
So do your research, ask questions, and if you don't think the answer makes sense, check further. It sounds like you're already doing it. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Simple girl,
Sounds like you have things under control, your control. DW just ended three years of tamoxifen, if that is the hormone positive treatment. She found it to be a pretty rough drug that affected many things in subtle ways. I could ramble on for pages on the treatment and drugs, she had chemo, but not radiation, but she is now doing great. You are spot on to take control of your personal situation. DW spent untold hours over the last three years researching all aspects of her case. The doctors told her she was way over involved, I thought she was being pretty obsessive, but she is a very smart woman. She gave herself, in my opinion, an advanced degree in this stuff. She got rid of one oncologist, a known jerk, and took herself off of tamoxifen after a little over three years with the new oncologist's concurrence. Statistically, a minimal help after that based on the early diagnosis, also 1B, and the side affects, can affect your heart. She has a family history of heart problems.
So do your research, ask questions, and if you don't think the answer makes sense, check further. It sounds like you're already doing it. Good luck.
Thank you for the encouragement and input! Yeah, I'm hoping I take well to the Tamoxifen and am not one of the ones who gets all the nasty reactions. <sigh> Time will tell. Lots of family heart history here, too, so thanks for the heads up...will be watching that one closely...

Old 01-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #332
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, you keep getting curve balls thrown your way. You are your best advocate and you have done a damn fine job making sure this thing is done right.

Keep positive because you are going to slay the big C-monster.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #333
Recycles dryer sheets

SG, I'd like to second the very thoughtfully worded post above by Dreamer.

And as antmary has already said, thank you for being an inspiration to all of us.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #334
Gone but not forgotten

I amazed at how well you are handling these crises . You really are an inspiration to me ! You deserve bags of potato chips and good beer to wash them down and maybe chocolate for desert !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I amazed at how well you are handling these crises . You really are an inspiration to me ! You deserve bags of potato chips and good beer to wash them down and maybe chocolate for desert !
I might get kicked off the Wednesday weigh in board, but...BRING IT! LOL!!!!

Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #336
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the reply, SG. Yes, we were tested and and negative for BRCA 1 and 2. My identical twin, an 11+ yr survivor, was ER positive. Mother was a 26+ yr survivor but oldest sister died from this disease as did my grandmother. To clarify my old doc wanted me on the drug...new doc says no.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #337
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I might get kicked off the Wednesday weigh in board, but...BRING IT! LOL!!!!
Never!!

Treat yourself, we'll look the other way
Old 01-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
Thanks for the reply, SG. Yes, we were tested and and negative for BRCA 1 and 2. My identical twin, an 11+ yr survivor, was ER positive. Mother was a 26+ yr survivor but oldest sister died from this disease as did my grandmother. To clarify my old doc wanted me on the drug...new doc says no.
So, so sorry to hear about the extensive breast cancer family history. Such a hard decision for you to make! I highly recommend you check out that forum I noted. You can learn so much from talking to other women who are in the same position - just learning the right questions to ask your doctor is huge!

You may want to consider getting a 3rd opinion - if you live near a NCI center that would be a great place to go: Cancer Centers Program - Cancer Centers List

Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1
Never!!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #340
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
+1

Never!!

Not only will we look the other way we will subtract 10 pounds for stress weight !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote