Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry simple girl.

While this is a bump in the road, you can get through it!

Remain positive and hang in there.

I wish you well.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I am new, but you are one of the posters I follow so would just like to let you know that I am thinking of you. Seems you have everyting in control, which doesn't surprise me, your not a simple girl but a very strong woman and you will get through this and it will leave you even stronger.

Do keep us posted, seems you have a big loving fan club here and that can help. Adding my cyber hugs.

Queenie
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

This has to have taken you aback, but you are going to be fine. And, good for you for getting those mammograms!!

Keep us posted.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 AM   #44

Sorry to hear about your cancer but I am glad for the good prognosis and the fact you seem to be in good hands. I wish you all the best.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sorry to hear that SG. I know what you're goinng through as DW is a survivor. Wishing you the very best.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:19 AM   #46

Wow, gotta say, waking up and reading all of these posts is the best way ever to start my day.

Between this board, the cancer board, my friends, and my family - I am overwhelmed with the goodness of people!!! Your posts brought me to tears, but that's all good. Need to work those emotions out as they come up. I know it's not good to push it down. I am channeling all the positive energy from you all, and it is giving me even more strength to face this head on.

I will give an update tonight - second opinion with breast surgeon this afternoon to review all of my options.

Thanks so much all.

Oh, and as a side note, need to say that DH and I are feeling sooooo fortunate that we are prepared financially to handle this. I can be out of work as long as needed without it even being a blip in the radar. Having no financial stress sure is a relief at a time like this.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Best of luck Simple Girl. As Rich says, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. And stop worrying about the pre-existing condition and post ER health insurance. Under current law you will be able to buy a policy on an exchange in 2014. Things may change but we are not likely to see an outright repeal throwing us back to where we were.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Best of luck Simple Girl. As Rich says, the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor. And stop worrying about the pre-existing condition and post ER health insurance. Under current law you will be able to buy a policy on an exchange in 2014. Things may change but we are not likely to see an outright repeal throwing us back to where we were.
That's encouraging on all fronts Don! I haven't looked at the new law closely at all yet, so hearing that synopsis gives me hope that we'll be able to somehow make FIRE work despite the cancer diagnosis.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Subject titles like that always make me catch my breath. It is a chilling diagnosis. After reading further, the breath came back. So very glad that it is early and yours is highly treatable.

Some of our friends have had BC. Also DW, several years ago. She is OK now. As bbbami said,
Quote:
We were told by a friend of ours that you can call yourself a cancer survivor if you don't drop dead from being told the diagnosis.
So true.

Take care of yourself and be well.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Simple Girl, I'm very sorry to get this news, but if it helps, I'll share my sister's story. You could be writing her exact diagnosis and treatment. She had this in 1997, in fact, her lumpectomy was on the day that Princess Diana was killed. It was outpatient. At that time, the sentinel node study was considered experimental apparently, because she was asked to participate in a trial/study, which she did. She had radiation only, and never missed a day of work (she is a nurse). No trace has returned in these 14 years since, her scar is nothing and she enjoys perfect health. She was 37 at the time, and no history in our family.

So, listen to your medical team, but travel through this with great hope because it can be very successfully treated.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #51

Sorry to hear the bad news.
Wishing you well and a speedy recovery.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #52

Simple Girl...

I wish you all the best. Absolutely all the best for you.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #53

simple girl, wish you the best!

I have a close relative that had the same diagnosis. She's a medical professional in that area, so she knew all about it and treatment. All treatments were radiation. The first treatment took the longest due to the setup required. Locating reference points were put on her skin with a dye. These reference points were used for the rest of the treatments, so the other treatment sessions lasted just minutes apiece. More time was taken to wait and to change clothes than the treatment itself. She took time off from work, went to get treated, then back to work each time. She had no ill effects what so ever. No one would have known that she was undergoing accelerator treatment. Radiation is much much easier than chemo (though it's easy for me to say something like this since I have experienced neither). She is doing fine.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
simple girl, wish you the best!

I have a close relative that had the same diagnosis. She's a medical professional in that area, so she knew all about it and treatment. All treatments were radiation. The first treatment took the longest due to the setup required. Locating reference points were put on her skin with a dye. These reference points were used for the rest of the treatments, so the other treatment sessions lasted just minutes apiece. More time was taken to wait and to change clothes than the treatment itself. She took time off from work, went to get treated, then back to work each time. She had no ill effects what so ever. No one would have known that she was undergoing accelerator treatment. Radiation is much much easier than chemo (though it's easy for me to say something like this since I have experienced neither). She is doing fine.
Thank you for that personal story - I'm pretty scared of the radiation/side effects, etc. I sunburn really easily and have read this makes you more susceptible to getting burned skin. I'm still hoping I'll qualify for the internal radiation since it doesn't have these effects and tx only lasts ~ 1 wk vs 5 to 7 wks. If I don't qualify, though, I am encouraged to hear your story!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Best wishes to you, simple girl! BTW, there is a website called Caring Bridge, where you can set up a place where family, friends, support folks, etc, can come on and stay in touch. Much more personal and more private than FB. Just wanted you to know,

Financedude

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #56

So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, but glad it's in an early stage. I hope you fly through it all and straight into permanent cancer free-ville.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #57

simple girl,

Sorry to read about your diagnosis. Twice I've needed biopsies to diagnose lumps and both times I was lucky that they were not cancer.

I'm so glad that your prognosis is good! Something has changed in your life now, your perspective on things may be different. I hope the process is not too difficult and you come out of this in a positive way.

I will be thinking of you every day.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Simple Girl,

I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but you seem to be in a great place to go forward successfully. You are a really strong woman.

Best outcomes to you!

Ha
Old 08-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #59

Simple Girl,
I'm sending you positive thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery, and I'm sure my several friends who have had breast cancer and fully recovered would send you the same if they were on this forum.
When I've had too much excitement from scary diagnoses I've found it helps to have a really good novel handy to escape to, when I feel negative vibes starting to take me over. An assortment of really good novels. And maybe some videos too. But probably best is reaching out to people who care about you, and you've figured that out already.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Thoughts and prayers for the best to your and yours. I'm confident you'll kick cancer's ass.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote