Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The most important thing is that you are comfortable with your decision. It is nice to have something to look forward to .
+1, and that safari (or equivalent)!
Best to you, and I think you are the only one who can know what is the right thing. Good for you to listen to the good advice and take what you need from it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Simple Girl,

Your journey is tenderly on my mind. I came here to FIRE today to escape thinking about some things in my life, and there was your thread. I thought I was fine this morning, but there's those darn tears again...I have a biopsy tomorrow on 3 complex cysts. Like you, I am being told this happens often, and the majority are benign, but there is no escaping *my* reality of fear. I believe you shared your words for *me* to read, and to help *me* prepare for the next steps of my journey, should the results come back as cancer. It is comforting to know that women do come together in this and can help each other through the really shitty parts and be part of a unique party where the celebration is earned.

You are a brave and generous woman, I wish you the BEST with your treatment and recovery, and I think you do know that you will find wondrous gifts as you walk down the path...

Look into meditation if you haven't already. It is saving me from insanity this week.

Peace,

Victoria

Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeneev View Post
Simple Girl,

Your journey is tenderly on my mind. I came here to FIRE today to escape thinking about some things in my life, and there was your thread. I thought I was fine this morning, but there's those darn tears again...I have a biopsy tomorrow on 3 complex cysts. Like you, I am being told this happens often, and the majority are benign, but there is no escaping *my* reality of fear. I believe you shared your words for *me* to read, and to help *me* prepare for the next steps of my journey, should the results come back as cancer. It is comforting to know that women do come together in this and can help each other through the really shitty parts and be part of a unique party where the celebration is earned.

You are a brave and generous woman, I wish you the BEST with your treatment and recovery, and I think you do know that you will find wondrous gifts as you walk down the path...

Look into meditation if you haven't already. It is saving me from insanity this week.

Peace,

Victoria
Oh Victoria - I am so sorry to hear you are on this roller coaster ride, waiting for tests and then results. The waiting, waiting, waiting is the worst part. I so understand knowing intellectually that 80% of biopsies are benign, but still not being able to refrain from worrying. It's rough! <Hugs>

I'm so glad my story is helpful to you!!! Women do really bond together over this. You may want to check out the boards over at breastcancer.org. I joined and posted on the "Not Diagnosed but Worried" board when I was waiting on my biopsy and results. (I'm still an active poster on other threads.) Those women were incredibly helpful - you can bare your soul, have meltdowns, etc., and they completely understand. They've been there. Here's to hoping for B9 results for you!!!

That's so funny you mentioned meditation. I've started yoga this week, b/c due to all of the stress, my blood pressure has been running high. It's really helping me. Great minds think alike!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #144

Hi all! I've heard that people are wondering what's going on with me, so I'm here to give an update.

I will have surgery next Tuesday, the 20th. Surgery is bilat mastectomy with immediate reconstruction as well as a sentinel node biopsy.

Plan is for me to stay one night in the hospital, then I'm off to a hotel where DH will no doubt pamper me silly!

My frame of mind is surprisingly good. Of course I'm anxious about surgery, but I've heard from many women now who have gone through this, and most are back on their feet quite quickly. I find that very encouraging indeed and hope to be in that same group!

I will give an update as soon as I'm not so drugged out I can't type. LOL I will not be shy about taking my pain meds!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good luck with your surgery SG....I am sure everything will be fine. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers next week .
Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Hi all! I've heard that people are wondering what's going on with me, so I'm here to give an update.

I will have surgery next Tuesday, the 20th. Surgery is bilat mastectomy with immediate reconstruction as well as a sentinel node biopsy.

Plan is for me to stay one night in the hospital, then I'm off to a hotel where DH will no doubt pamper me silly!

My frame of mind is surprisingly good. Of course I'm anxious about surgery, but I've heard from many women now who have gone through this, and most are back on their feet quite quickly. I find that very encouraging indeed and hope to be in that same group!

I will give an update as soon as I'm not so drugged out I can't type. LOL I will not be shy about taking my pain meds!
Best wishes heading your way. You are an inspiration to me!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Breast-Cancer-Awareness-Month-1-230x300.gif (16.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 09-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

good luck! Will send good thoughts your way.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Your attitude is inspiring!

All the best to you.

Nui
Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

I have been thinking about you and will pray that everything goes great !
Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #150

Good luck on your surgery simplegirl. You may recall I've been this with DW many years ago.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery SG. We'll all have you in our thoughts. Keep up the good spirits.

Avalon

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #152

Adding my prayers as well, for a quick and full recovery.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #153

Best wishes for your recovery. You'll be in my prayers.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #154

Wishing you all the best with your surgery and a speedy recovery.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #155
Moderator Emeritus

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Be sue to have yer hubby tie a string on yer toe to keep you from floating away while yer on those pain meds.

La la land can feel so fine...give in to it.

As it has been said; you are an inspiration. You are not just our 'simple girl'...you are so much more, there's no doubt.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Be sue to have yer hubby tie a string on yer toe to keep you from floating away while yer on those pain meds.

La la land can feel so fine...give in to it.

As it has been said; you are an inspiration. You are not just our 'simple girl'...you are so much more, there's no doubt.

Ah, man, you are just trying to make me break a tear! LOL!!! Thanks, my friend.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I agree from here on you should be known as Super Girl !
Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #159

You have what it takes to come through this with flying colors. My thoughts, like so many others, will be with you on Tuesday.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #160

Simple girl, you are not so simple, and you are an inspiration. Good luck with your surgery