Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2018, 06:42 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

Sheesh... no idea about the "right" thing to do, but some things that work for me.

1. Subliminal effect of a permanent easy to use scale in the bathroom.
2. Growing old...lose muscle mass.
3. Discover foods that satisfy for in between snacks. Favorites for me...
--a. celery with a touch of salt.
--b. apples... not munched, but sliced into 10 to 12 pieces.
4. 3 days/week... exercise in moderation.

Am healthier now, than in my 50's. Blood panel normal, BP normal...

Maybe you wouldn't want to trade your age for a healthier body, but consider the alternative.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an early riser and was always a breakfast person. I don't think so could have done this when I was working, but I started doing 16/8 IF about two months ago and have been surprised how easy it has been for me. I usually don't eat after 7 pm, but if social activities have me eating slightly later on occasion, I just wait a bit longer before eating the next day. I take DF out to breakfast one day a week and do IF the other 6 days. DH is a late riser so skipping breakfast works as we can still have dinner together. I do have a cup of coffee with some coconut oil in it in the mornings but the medium chain triglycerides are supposed to give your brain some fuel without triggering insulin. Otherwise we eat a plant based diet with as little refined food as possible. I've thus far lost 8 pounds painlessly since starting IF, and it's seemed to come off my middle mostly! I do feel better and more energized. I'm usually up by 5:30 and so I have about 6 hours in the morning before eating but I get my walking and/or yoga in before eating and I rarely feel that hunger is an issue. Have learned that a lot of times what we mistake for hunger is really thirst. The other bonus is that mornings were the time I was more likely to eat carbs as well.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Gee, I thought I was being bad by skipping breakfast. I remember all those 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' public service announcements I used to hear all the time.
+1

We normally skip breakfast, and I usually eat nothing between the 6PM dinner and 11AM lunch. Just learned that it is called IF, and supposedly good for me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Lately, I've found a good way to lose my appetite is to check my brokerage balances.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Does having coffee or tea result in breaking the fast?.
My assumption has been that zero calories things like black coffee or plain tea would be legal. I have fish oil in the AM, which seems less legit than my cups of tea.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My assumption has been that zero calories things like black coffee or plain tea would be legal. I have fish oil in the AM, which seems less legit than my cups of tea.

My understanding too. If you add sugar that for sure counts. Fish oil would be breaking the fast but not necessarily defeating the idea of the fast as insulin levels wouldn't go up in response to the pure fat intake.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:43 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been doing IF for 2 years, and feel great. I started by moving my breakfast out 1-hour later than normal (8am instead of 7am). When that felt normal (after a couple months), I moved it out another hour, and repeat. Finally, after eating breakfast at 11am felt easy, I just stopped eating breakfast and had lunch at 12pm. Took about 1 year for me to do that.

I did 16:8 fast for about a year (eating window: 12pm to 8pm). Then that felt really easy, and I'm now doing 18:6 (eating window: 1pm to 7pm). I'm feeling good and my fasting blood glucose measurements are slightly lower than 5 years ago, and they are even with 10 years ago.

I also make a point to do low-impact exercise in the morning, during my fast (e.g. walking, gardening, yoga, slow bike rides). It takes my mind off my stomach, and maybe burns a little extra fat. I also drink black coffee during my fast, which is an appetite suppressant. I lost the weight I wanted to lose, and have had no problem maintaining that weight for 2+ years now.

I still eat 3 meals a day, it's just that it's more compressed: 1pm, 3:30pm, 6:30pm -- similar to this NIH study of 16:8 fasting benefits: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:59 AM   #48

Like the immediately above post ....

I posted my experience on the intermittent fasting in this forum before. My goal was to lose the stubborn beer belly. To make a long story short, I ate two meals in 6 hour period and lost 10% of my body weight including the beer belly. It also improved many aspects of my health. This strategy has been working fine for more than a year now. Now, I no longer has to do 6-18 IF. I just try to eat two meals per day. If I eat more than that and starts to gain weight, I try to eat just one meal the next day.

As with all diets, discipline is the key to success. No way around it.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:37 AM   #49

No way around discipline, true, but there is a way to reduce the need for discipline (meaning denying yourself food while feeling quite hungry). This is probably clear to most people reading the thread, but the type of food you're consuming has a big impact on the level of discipline required. Eating meals relatively high in protein and fat will lead to feelings of satiety that will last for many hours, whereas eating high-carb, low-fat meals will leave you hungry a few hours later and require more discipline/self-denial.

I'm not the most disciplined guy. I'm kind of lazy. I wouldn't do IF if it required a lot of self-discipline. But on a ketogenic/carnivore diet, it's quite easy. That's one of the things that appeals to me about this way of eating. A ribeye and some sausage or fish, and I'm good.

I have a little hunger sometimes in the morning hours, before my breakfast at 11 or 12, but it's nothing, really. I think of it as kind of natural. If I were a caveman, I probably wouldn't be eating first thing in the morning.

Fun fact: Kellogg developed Corn Flakes as a way to curb masturbation.
http://mentalfloss.com/article/32042...bation-crusade
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

An alternative to fasting and caloric restriction.

Caloric Restriction, Fasting and Nicotinamide Riboside

I have been using Nicotinamide Riboside (brand name Niagen and there are a few others) for some time and it has great benefits. It is a bit costly but I think the cost is less than treating all the potential metabolic health issues.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

My DH and I have been doing IF for over a year. We typically have a 3 to 4 hour eating window where we will have a snack and one meal. There are a lot of health benefits besides weight loss. I highly recommend the book Delay Don’t Deny by Gin Stephens. She also has a website as well as a huge Facebook group with over 60,000 members. The secret is in a clean fast, meaning black coffee, black or green tea, water. No artificial sweeteners or sweet flavors during the fasting time.
sn2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have a serious question (i.e., I am not finding fault with the idea that intermittent fasting can be good for your blood sugar and so on).

I am normal weight, even a bit on the lean side (20.8 BMI). My bone density is not great. I truly dislike fatty foods - have, ever since I was a kid. Moreover, I don't like to stuff myself, especially since my likes tend toward sweet things.

If I fast, I'll lose weight, and I don't need to lose weight. Wouldn't I then need to stuff myself, or eat high-calorie foods I don't really like, in order not to lose weight, bone and muscle mass?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have a serious question (i.e., I am not finding fault with the idea that intermittent fasting can be good for your blood sugar and so on).

I am normal weight, even a bit on the lean side (20.8 BMI). My bone density is not great. I truly dislike fatty foods - have, ever since I was a kid. Moreover, I don't like to stuff myself, especially since my likes tend toward sweet things.

If I fast, I'll lose weight, and I don't need to lose weight. Wouldn't I then need to stuff myself, or eat high-calorie foods I don't really like, in order not to lose weight, bone and muscle mass?
My DW is also lean and does IF. We eat between 11AM and 6PM. We both eat low carb. However, to maintain weight, she eats more healthy carbs than I do. She eats extra fruit, sweat potatoes and beans. All of these tend to put weight on me also and so I limit them.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn2792 View Post
My DH and I have been doing IF for over a year. We typically have a 3 to 4 hour eating window where we will have a snack and one meal. There are a lot of health benefits besides weight loss. I highly recommend the book Delay Don’t Deny by Gin Stephens. She also has a website as well as a huge Facebook group with over 60,000 members. The secret is in a clean fast, meaning black coffee, black or green tea, water. No artificial sweeteners or sweet flavors during the fasting time.
Hubby and I have been doing the exact same thing re: following Delay Don’t Deny for a year. I’ve lost 40 pounds, my cholesterol is lower by 20 points and my HDL is up by 15 points. Our eating window is 3 pm to 7 pm and we eat one meal and one snack. We also eat mostly whole 30 type meals (very little processed) but we also drink alcohol on occasion and have desserts as well.

We’ve done Weight Watchers multiple times but we couldn’t stick with it. IF is a way of eating and lifestyle that will be with us for the rest of our lives.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Hubby and I have been doing the exact same thing re: following Delay Don’t Deny for a year. I’ve lost 40 pounds, my cholesterol is lower by 20 points and my HDL is up by 15 points. Our eating window is 3 pm to 7 pm and we eat one meal and one snack. We also eat mostly whole 30 type meals (very little processed) but we also drink alcohol on occasion and have desserts as well.

We’ve done Weight Watchers multiple times but we couldn’t stick with it. IF is a way of eating and lifestyle that will be with us for the rest of our lives.
We feel the same way, we will do this forever. Our window is in the afternoon. We are usually done eating by 3 or 4. We like the flexibility though, so one day a week we cook dinner for our daughters family when we babysit our granddaughters. When we go on vacation, we will still fast, but have a longer eating window. When we get back home, then back to our normal schedule.
sn2792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I eat all those things. Love sweet potatoes! We usually eat between 0900 (ravenous from workouts - we don't eat before the gym) and 5 or 6 p.m.

So, it sounds like we may be doing IF already, without thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
My DW is also lean and does IF. We eat between 11AM and 6PM. We both eat low carb. However, to maintain weight, she eats more healthy carbs than I do. She eats extra fruit, sweat potatoes and beans. All of these tend to put weight on me also and so I limit them.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:13 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I have also been doing IF for about 2 years. I have lost 15 lbs and seen my A1C go from 5.7 to 5.4 but the biggest drop was in my Triglycerides that went from 200 to 126 and my Blood Pressure 140/90 to 110/75. My BMI is around 25.9 down from 27.

I have done two forms of IF. The one I started with was a 1 day-weekly fast. I stopped eating at dinner on Wednesday night and then started with dinner on Thursday night. That made me feel better but was maybe difficult on some Thursdays because of schedule.

Then I found mycircadianclock.org. They promote what most people here are talking about which is fasting a certain number of hours of the day each day (typically 16 to 18) and they say instead of IF it is more properly termed "Time Restricted Eating" (TRE). You eat as much as you want, focusing on healthy foods, but of what you want. I find I eat less because it is impossible to eat what I use to in an unrestricted time. My time window is 8.00 am to 6.00 pm (14 hours).

The nice thing about MyCircadianClock.org is that they provide a smart phone app (for free) that motivates and helps you track your day. Their website also has scientific article links. The app is suppose to be part of a "Clinical" study. I have found TRE the better approach for me over IF (IF being at least 24 hours of fasting).
Old 12-29-2018, 01:26 AM   #58
Confused about dryer sheets

I followed the 5-2 diet

Dieting 2 days a week for three months did wonders for my diabetes. Was able to drop most medicines and avoided going on insulin. I lost 10kg while fasting. It is tough to follow, being allowed only ca 600 calories per fasting day. However I started on a ketogenic diet around 5 years ago and it makes fasting pain free as hunger pangs are hardly noticed when in ketosis. The ketogenic diet is also hard to follow at first, but after sometime I felt so much healthier and stopped longing for carbs (almost, but can't resist my homemade bread at times.).
Fynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
An alternative to fasting and caloric restriction.

Caloric Restriction, Fasting and Nicotinamide Riboside

I have been using Nicotinamide Riboside (brand name Niagen and there are a few others) for some time and it has great benefits. It is a bit costly but I think the cost is less than treating all the potential metabolic health issues.

I have read about Nocotinamide Riboside, and have been curious about it. Can you tell me what benefits you have noticed from it, and also whether you experienced any unwanted side effects? It seems to be safe, from everything I've read about it, as it is produced in the body anyway, but maybe not in sufficient quantities as we age. At any rate, I would be interested in your experience with taking it, and how much you take, etc..Thanks.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #60

You could try eating dinner at let's say 3pm and then nothing afterwards until breakfast at 7am. I have done that a lot but it hasn't changed my weight any.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote