I need advice about intermittent fasting

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have read that fasting can really improve one's metabolic health. I cannot remember but I think that there are fasters on our board. My metabolic issue is blood sugar that while not diabetic, is higher than normal, (A1C's from 5.2 to 5.5.) I would like to break below the 5 % level. I have a really strong dose of diabetic tilting genes. My Dad had diabetes but did manage to live almost 50 years with it, into his late 80s. My sister and all brothers have it, yet are doing well, I think mainly with low carb discipline that they started after they had been diagnosed.

I watched a Youtube video by an Aussie pathologist named Ken Sikaris M.D. I recommend this to anyone who has an interest in DM. He presented a lot of unexpected and non-intuitive findings that suggest for long term well being, it is really worth the effort to push those A1C readings down, even if they do not seem particularly bad. He thinks A1C is the gold standard diabetes test, as it essentially integrates blood sugar exposure over time by measuring glycosylation of the rbc (s), which measures average blood sugar over a period of 2-3 months.

Fasting would help me, but wow, fasting seems almost overwhelming. I am pretty sure I could walk 10 miles/day 6 days/week in the rain carrying a pack more comfortably than I could get by on one meal/day. Yet supposedly that one meal per day will do more for blood sugar than heavy exercise. My BMI is 22.5.

Ha

Intuitively 'fasting' seems like a good idea - or at least not continually ingesting even small amounts of carbs or protein which would cause a rise in insulin which is probably not what the body is historically accustomed to. I don't know what the suggested duration of fasting is but going 12 to 16 hours shouldn't be that challenging. (The idea that going without food for 12 or 16 hours and calling it a fast is kind of ridiculous!)

I don't know about aiming for super low HbA1c levels - on the video at 23m 20s the graph suggests that a level of about 5.2 is the point where the lowest risk of cardiovascular disease is. There are so many moving parts in metabolic syndrome that it is hard to know where to start and there isn't a ton of good evidence AFAIK - no shortage of opinions though. Stay active and JERF in moderation. (Just Eat Real Food as a former forum member used to say)

I didn’t think intermittent fasting was one meal a day - more like not eating for 16 to 18 hours which means at least two meals easy.

Move breakfast later, skip dinner...

I have done it for a year or so- all I do really is skip breakfast, which isn't difficult for me since I'm not terribly hungry for breakfast anyway. I do get hungry about 10:30 or 11. Most days I just wait for lunch, but some days I'll have a few nuts or a piece of cheese. They key is not to eat a huge lunch to make up for the fact that you skipped breakfast. No snacking after supper. Easy. I don't test my blood sugar, but I can tell its keeping my blood sugar low, as my weight has been lower and easier to control than before. Good luck!

I started intermittent fasting July 2017. Like the OP, I had read convincing science on the benefits AND have immediate family members with diabetes. (I was already consistently eating low carb (zero sugar) / healthy fat.)

I was terrified I wouldn't be able to fast! I experimented with various fasting lengths / times of day until I found the best fast for me.

Now I fast for at least 20 hours once (occasionally twice) a week, skipping breakfast and lunch. I'm astounded by how easy it is.

(Bonus: When I'm in social situations where the food is not the best for me or traveling, it's easy and painless to shift my fast to that day.)

I've often read this comment from others and it was 100% true for me: fear of being able to fast successfully vastly outweighs how easy it turns out to be. Good luck!

IF is really more about condensing your "eating" hours to 8 or less per day. So, 11am to 7pm, or, even better, 12pm to 6pm. I find the 8 hour thing incredibly easy to do most days as more of a lifestyle change, and it's flexible enough for a cheat once a week if you really want breakfast every now and then. (and even then, maybe that day pull your dinner in early so you're somewhat on track).

I can't find it now, but I read a good blog where someone who uses this method strongly recommends a good cardio workout before the first meal. Not sure if that helps more with the A1C side but I find it definitely helps on weight control. Even if you're not into low-carb, it makes sense to reduce the carbs in your dinner so you go into the fast window without all that sugar to process.

Here's a good thread on it from last year with many responses and tips
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/intermittent-fasting-my-result-so-far-88634.html

I've been doing it for about 6 months, 11am - 7pm. I"ve been keto for 3 or 4 years. That window was easy when I was strict keto, but recently I upped the carbs from 20 to 30-40 to include more vegetables. After I did that, the last hour between 10am and 11am all I could do was think about eating so I had to back it down to 10am. I'm doing it for the possible anti-cancer anti-inflammation benefit so can't really say whether it is having an effect.

I've been doing the 16 off 8 on fasting for over a year now, occasionally I'll throw in a 40 hour fast. It does take awhile for your body to adjust to the changes, I can't remember exactly how long it took me but maybe a couple weeks. The longer you do it the easier it gets, I have no problems doing the 16 hours off now, even 40 hours off isn't difficult if I keep my mind busy doing things. I haven't had my A1C measured, probably should, but my fasting blood glucose has dropped under 100 after years being in the 110 range. Also seen my triglyceride levels drop quite a bit although they were always in the acceptable range. A good read on the subject is 'The Obesity Code-Fung', even if obesity isn't the problem.

Last edited:
... That window was easy when I was strict keto, but recently I upped the carbs ...

Since you are already low carb, modify your macros to maintain ketosis, then introduce fasting. Much easier that way.

There is a strong metabolic benefit to occasional extended fasting (5 days +). Also, there is a intermittent fasting on-line seminar coming up in January, hosted by Dr. Jockers: https://fastingtransformation.com/

I didn't even know I was an "IF" guy, until my doctor told me I was.

A couple of years ago I wasn't feeling great, from a digestive system standpoint, so started skipping breakfast, and sometimes lunch. I couldn't believe how much better I felt! I kept experimenting and now usually go until 5pm or 6pm (but I get up late and spend several hours snacking while cooking, then eating a massive meal). And although it's not low carb any more, I always have a good fraction of calories from fat. I've found that without the fat, I'm more likely to go hunting before bedtime.

I really like to completely ignore "portion control", hehe! I eat lots of healthy stuff...as much as I want. And over the years, I've not gained a pound. AND I get to drink beer!

One thing I'll add to address the challenge of not eating during the day... As others have said, breakfast isn't a problem but what helped me with lunch was that often I was/am the only one in the house, as DW is sitting with her dad every other week. I find it much more difficult to skip lunch if she nukes a plate of leftovers that I can smell, or some other olfactory signal comes along. She's up there baking cookies for the family gathering and I'll probably go steal some of her walnuts to bridge me to dinner today.

Last edited:
Funny, after creeping up to highest weight had in a long time after Thanksgiving, knew I had to do something (bmi of 26). I'm not a patient person when it comes to things like this. So a week ago I just did the full one meal a day. I feel great, BP is dropping like a rock. Didn't weigh when I started but I'd guess I've dropped at least 5#, clothes feel better.

I've since read it heightens mental alertness, and I generally pooh pooh such claims. However, I really do feel more alert and into it. I just want to loose about 15# and stay there, but it seems to be offering other benefits. FWIW I generally am not a fan of diets in general, it was a whim. Whatever.

IF is really more about condensing your "eating" hours to 8 or less per day. l

Yes, this is what I do, basically. Or at least I try to do it for several days each week. I am a breakfast guy (I have to eat something when I wake up), so I make it work by eating a very early dinner on fasting days (more of a late lunch). I do think it helps with blood glucose control, and is beneficial in many other ways also. Humans were not designed to eat small meals and snacks all day (and evening) long. Here are some pretty good articles on IF, from PD Mangan:

Intermittent Fasting Archives - Rogue Health and Fitness

And although it's not low carb any more, I always have a good fraction of calories from fat. I've found that without the fat, I'm more likely to go hunting before bedtime.

Same here. Skip to much fat, and I back to craving something, anything to get my body back to feeling OK. It's hard to fight one's body chemistry. The whole low-fat eating thing was a disaster for me.

Jason Fung is really good on this subject. You might look him up on Youtube.

I do 16/8 or 18/6 most days, although not religiously, and I don't necessarily intend to "fast." Sometimes I'm just not hungry. It's basically just not eating breakfast, waiting until around noon to eat, then having a second meal at dinner time.

16/8 or 18/6 are low-level fasts. There are more intense fasts, of course, lasting days or weeks. I don't feel like doing that. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
We've been following Michael Mosley's 5:2 Fast for years. 5 days of "normal" eating and 2 days a week of very low caloric intake. When you get where you want to be, you change to 6:1 and only have one day of low caloric intake to maintain your weight.

I learned about it on a PBS/BBC documentary. https://vimeo.com/170735109

I did buy his book which had a couple of weeks of "2" day recipe ideas.

One thing I noticed immediately is how well I slept on the days I fasted. There are many many benefits to this type of dieting (Mosley was pre-diabetic before he began this journey, and reduced his numbers), and it's relatively painless particularly after you get in the groove.

Happy to answer any questions.

Ha, we are both low carb whole food. We are not hungry in the morning and skip breakfast. We try and limit our eating to a 7 hour window, 1100 AM to 6 PM. In our case, omitting the starchy carbs, (flour, sugar, grains and potatoes) and adding lots of green veggies and good fats, seems to suppress our appetites. Good luck. :)

Thanks everyone for the very helpful personal experiences that you shared. I waited until 11 am before I ate this morning. I’ll feel like I am making a good move if I learn to wait until 11 or 12 most days before eating anything. I never eat in the evening, so that end will be easy. My interim goal I think will be 6 hours with no food each day. Said that wrong- I meant 6 hours with food allowed, rest of the time keeping my mind off eating!

Last edited:
One thing that helps me with IF is to have a glass of ice water nearby at all times. When i notice the hunger pains, a couple swigs of water take them away (yes, you can get used to going to the bathroom more or feeling chills in the middle of the summer because of the water). It takes a little effort to get used to hunger pains but they are perfectly natural. I think people are obese because when they feel hungry, they are programmed to stuff there faces.

I've been doing IF and low carb for a year, have lost 45 lbs. Generally I never eat breakfast, and stop eating by 8 at night. I don't get up until around 9 most mornings, and get to work at 11, so fasting until after 12 isn't a problem.

I never could have done it when I was eating high carb/low fat. Blood sugar swings were brutal. Now there are days when I can go longer with no problem. As mentioned above, adequate fat consumption is a big part of satiety.

That said, once you learn how real hunger feels, as opposed to cravings, you'll realize sometimes that you are truly hungry outside your window. And then you eat!

I’ve been skipping most dinners for months now and don’t eat breakfast first thing but at least a couple of hours after waking. Lunch can be mid afternoon. Didn’t lose weight, but having many hours fasting before bedtime means my tummy is very settled during the night, which is a big improvement.

Thanks for the info. I've been skipping breakfast and eating in ~16 hour window for months now (with exceptions) and generally feel better doing that. I sometimes eat too much for lunch but I have lost a few pounds (my BMI is 26 - trying to bring that down gradually) and have kept the weight off even with travel in Europe and then back-to-back cruises (actually having defined mealtimes like on the cruise is probably better than having the kitchen and snacking potential right there all the time). I'm having my annual physical next week and hope to see good numbers, though diabetes has never been a worry for me or any one in my family.

Whenever this topic comes up I'm always reminded of something I read years ago by Garrison Keillor. He said that when you get into your 50s, you need to forget the concept of "3 meals a day." At that age you should really be looking at "one meal and two snacks."

That made a lot of sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom