Join Early Retirement Today

I started a new routine today
Old 01-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started a new routine today

Went back to the gym. I had not been there in a few months because of the lack of time. Maybe i have been spending too much time in these ER forums :-)

Anyway it feels great to exercise again. I would like to decrease my BMI back to 22.

I would encourage everyone who has not exercised in a while to do so, after getting medical approval (of course) :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I need to get back on the horse again myself. I get lots of exercise in daily life, but it is sporadic. I was a slug Tuesday through today, but Saturday I was hunting all day, Sunday I chased the kids at a huge indoor stock show/rodeo (lots of walking), and Monday I was brewing (6 hours of running around, lifting heavy loads, etc.). Have to start getting up early again and lifting weights. Perhaps this weekend is the time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Monday I was brewing (6 hours of running around, lifting heavy loads, etc.).
Have you considered writing a book about this novel way of getting exercise? I think you may find it very popular.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am also located in a midwestern city; my BMI is currently at 23; family (and some friends) tell me that I am too thin.

What I think they are really saying is that I am thinner than the local average which is likely true. But, when I travel to locations with more active lifestyles (South Beach, Fort Collins, Redondo Beach, etc.), I am currently quite pudgy by comparison. I remember feeling my best when my BMI was just under 21.

I was just wondering if obgyn or others have encountered similar situations.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Good for you to get back in the saddle again.

Between having the flu for 2+ weeks right after Thanksgiving and then pulling a very small muscle in my back shoveling snow , I have not been able to fire up my virtual ping pong and gladiator game (Sports Champions) on my PS3. That is my normal indoor winter exercise.

I have been able to do some living room rock-n-roll dancing (medium speed so as not to aggravate that muscle) with the tunes cranked. The muscle strain has finally healed.

My overall fitness level and weight is about the same as it was before the holidays. Considering that I usually gain 5 lbs during the holidays, I am happy with that result.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

One of the best aspects of retirement for me is having the time to go to the gym. We have gone regularly on MWF ever since we retired.

Although I had the gym membership before retirement, it was much harder for me to go regularly for some reason.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bone density, muscle mass among other factors may also influence your BMI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if BMI standards differ for women and men, but I have a medium build and I feel best between 20.5 and 21.5. Once, I went just below 20 and felt skinny and hungry, even though 18-21 is in the "healthy range." Over 22, I definitely feel pudgy.

I agree that different locales, cultures, etc. can influence other people's perceptions of your weight. Pay no attention to what other people say, unless they are doctors...

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
I am also located in a midwestern city; my BMI is currently at 23; family (and some friends) tell me that I am too thin.

What I think they are really saying is that I am thinner than the local average which is likely true. But, when I travel to locations with more active lifestyles (South Beach, Fort Collins, Redondo Beach, etc.), I am currently quite pudgy by comparison. I remember feeling my best when my BMI was just under 21.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
Administrator

When I was working I used to try and average 1 hr/day exercise, and that was often a struggle to achieve.

When I retired I upped that target to 80 mins/day and almost make or exceed that target since I can't use the old excuse of not having enough time.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I'll be starting a new routine Thurs when my new treadmill arrives. Until then I'll do the usual weights & run outside if possible. Today will be fun as I remove the old 240lb treadmill out the basement door and push it uphill to my garage. Then Thurs I'll somehow get the new 315 pounder down into the basement. The best treadmill workout could be just getting it in place.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't know if BMI standards differ for women and men, but I have a medium build and I feel best between 20.5 and 21.5. Once, I went just below 20 and felt skinny and hungry, even though 18-21 is in the "healthy range." Over 22, I definitely feel pudgy.

I agree that different locales, cultures, etc. can influence other people's perceptions of your weight. Pay no attention to what other people say, unless they are doctors...

Amethyst
Men generally have a higher BMI vs Women and Women have a higher BF % vs Men. I can't remember the exact differential for in shape individuals, but I think it is several pts different for BMI or BF.

edit: had it reversed initially
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Went back to the gym. I had not been there in a few months because of the lack of time. Maybe i have been spending too much time in these ER forums :-)

Anyway it feels great to exercise again. I would like to decrease my BMI back to 22.

I would encourage everyone who has not exercised in a while to do so, after getting medical approval (of course) :-)
Long ago I got BMI measurements at a JC course that specialized in physical fitness. Those measurements were based on (1) full body immersion in a water bath, (2) skin fold test using an instrument.

Now I wonder how people do this? There is one source here that just uses your weight and height: How to Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI) By Hand - wikiHow Is this accurate at all?

The video on that link discussed another way to check yourself out using your waist measurement. I took my "waist" to be about where my belly button is.

P.S. That site gave me a 21.6 and I run >20 miles/week in the hills. If I grow by 1 foot, I'd get to 15.5 -- wow! Then I did my waist/height = 53%, not too bad. DW was skeptical but when she came out at 53% she liked this approach a lot.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I just use the height-weight ratio calculators to approximate my BMI. Works for me, since I only measure myself against myself. Other people may use a different measurement method and that's fine for them.

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Long ago I got BMI measurements at a JC course that specialized in physical fitness. Those measurements were based on (1) full body immersion in a water bath, (2) skin fold test using an instrument.

Now I wonder how people do this? There is one source here that just uses your weight and height: How to Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI) By Hand - wikiHow Is this accurate at all?

The video on that link discussed another way to check yourself out using your waist measurement. I took my "waist" to be about where my belly button is.

P.S. That site gave me a 21.6 and I run >20 miles/week in the hills. If I grow by 1 foot, I'd get to 15.5 -- wow! Then I did my waist/height = 53%, not too bad. DW was skeptical but when she came out at 53% she liked this approach a lot.
I think the measurement you describe is % body fat and I agree that it is a more meaningful measurement than BMI, which is a simple guideline with a ratio calculation that anyone can do with a set of scales and a tape measure.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think the measurement you describe is % body fat and I agree that it is a more meaningful measurement than BMI, which is a simple guideline with a ratio calculation that anyone can do with a set of scales and a tape measure.
I looked it up and you are right, it was body fat.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I was reading about a revised formula for calculating BMI. The article also has a built in calculator: BBC News - BMI: Does the Body Mass Index need fixing?

A few interesting quotes:
Quote:
"I think the moral of this study is that these BMI categories are weight categories and they're not exact health categories," says Dr Katherine Flegal
and this is worth noting
Quote:
So it looks like BMI is here to stay but it's worth remembering that, strictly speaking, it is a measure of your weight relative to your height, not fatness or how healthy you are.