Join Early Retirement Today

ice and broken bones
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac
ice and broken bones

While visiting my parents this Christmas, my dad showed me a cool device he got to help him walk on icy walkways-

Yaktrax Walkers - Unisex at REI.com

He LOVES them, they're fairly cheap, and they're easy to put on your shoes. If you have a lot of snow and ice where you live, you might pick up a pair and save yourself from a nasty fall.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Used my pair today on my walk in the icy woods. They really do a nice job of biting into the ice, but as discussed in another thread the rubber strands tend to break near the ends of the steel springs. Love that lifetime REI warranty, though!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Administrator

I am planning to retire later this year to southern Missouri. As an adult, I have not lived in areas that customarily get snow and ice in the wintertime. Even worse, I am 60 years old and nearsighted so I do tend to trip now and then. Yet, walking is good for me and I do intend to walk more than drive, if/when I can. I intend to buy a device such as yaktrax, to avoid being "an accident waiting to happen".

So far (from various threads on this forum) I have found the following links to products that go on one's shoes, for safety.

Yaktrax Walker Shoe Traction

Microspikes: Lightweight, flexible traction for winter hiking

Polar Cleats - Winter traction devices for your shoes or boots

DueNorth by Sure FootŪ Corporation - Products - Traction Aids - DueNorth Everyday Traction Aid

Some are better than others! I will probably try several to see which ones work the best for me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a big fan of Yaktrax. They work very well on ice and hardpacked snow and deny me the excuse to skip my walk.

Coach
Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I like yaktrax too. I tend to buy them in the spring on ebay (cheaper)
Old 01-05-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Not cheap but work great are Neos overshoes I have had a pair for 4 years. The cleats are replaceable but wear well. I finally put new cleats in last winter after many miles of use. I can wear comfortable walking shoes and just add the overshoes when needed. They don't weigh much and go on and off easy.

Jeb
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Administrator

Thanks, Jeb! I'll add that link to my collection.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired to Indonesia where the temperature never drops below 75 degrees or above 85 degrees. Here's my footwear ...... "snow" is a four letter word - I hate it :-)