Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2007, 05:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I thought the only healthful thing about yogurt was the bacteria. I'd be interested in hearing why people think the various foods they mention are good for you. There seems to be such a tenuous connection between health and diet, at least in terms of hard science.

The idea is to kill the current bacteria in the milk and add your own "cultured" bacteria when it cools down.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
The idea is to kill the current bacteria in the milk and add your own "cultured" bacteria when it cools down.
Ah, the ol' out with the bad and in with the good. Makes sense!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there any way to make Greek style yogurt at home? I tried some greek yogurt (store-bought) for the first time recently, and I could not believe yogurt could taste so good - much thicker & creamier, as well as milder than the ususal dannon/columbo/yoplait variety. It was, however rather expensive. Almost three times the price of the usual brands.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw "crazy sexy cancer" last nite on TLC and the woman in the movie went through all kinds of "natural", alternative and healthy food diets...

first was macrobiotics, then some avocado, raw foods thing...most of them were sans dairy or meat.

It was interesting to see the one she finally landed on gave her blood a "clean" look under the microscope...whereas others produced other "things" in her blood that showed up...one guy explained it as "acid" something or other - he was the one focused on PH as the root to all things...

wonder what my blood looks like under the scope?! probably a party going on in there...

Whether it was all her efforts or not to find healthier/cleaner diets - she was able to stall her stage for cancer (and 24 tumors) from growing over a period of several years...
Old 08-31-2007, 01:36 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingthere View Post
Is there any way to make Greek style yogurt at home? I tried some greek yogurt (store-bought) for the first time recently, and I could not believe yogurt could taste so good - much thicker & creamier, as well as milder than the ususal dannon/columbo/yoplait variety. It was, however rather expensive. Almost three times the price of the usual brands.
Take regular plain yogurt and dump it in one of those gold coffee filters or a sieve lined with a paper coffee filter. Set over a bowl so that it doesn't touch the bottom, cover with plastic wrap or a plate and refrigerate 4-6 hours/overnight or up to 24 hours. The longer it drains, the thicker the end product. What you end up with is yogurt "cheese" aka greek yogurt. The water liquid in the bottom of the bowl is whey.

Been years since I worked out the cost but the whey is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the volume of the yogurt, depending on how long it's strained. A fair amount of salt drains out with the whey and my lactose intolerant SIL can tolerate the drained yogurt much better than regular yogurt.

Works best if used with yogurt with the shortest ingredient list. Added thickeners like starches and gums hold the whey in. Those will drain but it takes longer. My sister uses flavored yogurts but I prefer the plain.

Really nice mixed with chopped fresh herbs and garlic spread over toasted bagels.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:00 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the tip - I'll try that!