Identical twins exercise study

bjorn2bwild

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Interesting new Finnish study comparing identical twins where one twin exercised, the other was sedentary.

It turned out that these genetically identical twins looked surprisingly different beneath the skin and skull. The sedentary twins had lower endurance capacities, higher body fat percentages, and signs of insulin resistance, signaling the onset of metabolic problems. (Interestingly, the twins tended to have very similar diets, whatever their workout routines, so food choices were unlikely to have contributed to health differences.)

The twins’ brains also were unalike. The active twins had significantly more grey matter than the sedentary twins, especially in areas of the brain involved in motor control and coordination.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/one-twin-exercises-the-other-doesnt/?_r=2

This supplemental blog post by physiologist Michael J. Joyner MD has a stunning photo example where one identical twin was a weightlifter, the other an endurance runner.

Identical Twins & Genetic Destiny | Human Limits: Michael J. Joyner, M.D.

I'm not surprised. Regular vigorous exercise is truly today's wonder drug.
I agree whole heartedly. I also think that observation may be able to each us what works best for us, toward whatever our goals are. Different goals, or different problem areas may require different exercise plans. And people have different tolerance and liking for a particular exercise. What I never expected but have discovered lately is that I can control and even improve my insulin resistance much better by rowing long rows on my C2 than I can by fairly vigorous walking in my hilly neighborhood. Also, better that I used to do by going to a gym and lifting weights, or by doing intervals. I test blood glucose at least daily, and at different times during the day wrt meals, workouts, sleeping, etc. My highest readings across the board are about 10- 15 mg/dl lower than before this program, and my readings were never particularly high before.

The plan is simple. Just get on the machine and row for 14 to 16 km on weekdays, and ~12 km on Saturdays and Sundays. I do not want to kill the goose, so I take whatever speed comes. I tend to go faster as the workout nears its end, like a saddle horse when it gets close to the barn. My only difficulty is rejecting phony excuses to skip it on a given day, and this summer, dealing with some hot weather. Before I became aware of the power of this protocol I would just walk on hot days, but over the 2 weeks or so that I did that my BG readings were not nearly as good. So in a way, I had a control for my findings.

If I can learn to get up and get going before is gets hot, or later in the year get going before I feel that I must turn up the heat, it will make it easier for me.

I am lazy in the morning, and I really mostly want to sit around and read the paper, so this has to be overcome.

Diabetes is tough illness for many people. I saw my Dad struggle to control his DM in the years before home meters and sensible diet plans, though his dedication to daily or many times a day walks helped him a lot. My Dad was willpower on a stick, but it also takes knowledge, which he was not in a position to get.

I am committed to doing what I can to spare myself and the those who love me the pain of its depredations.

Ha

Last edited:
@Ha. Congrats on your success. I am also concerned with diabetes as most of my relatives have the disease. So far so good.
My routine involves a vigorous 45-60 minutes on either spinning bike or elliptical. Indicated calories around 700-900 per session. HR gets into low 150's with average in mid- high 130's. This is followed by 30 minutes of core strength and stretch exercises. On top of this we do twice a week have personal trainer for weights. My DW is right there with me.
We hardly ever miss unless travelling. Do about 25 workout sessions per month.

I used to define myself by my job. Now a big part of my self definition is my workout and fitness levels.

I, too, use the C2 rower. I tend to do high intensity interval training. For example, row a 500M then take a one minute break. Repeat until you can't. I monitor my heart rate the whole time. I do maybe 6 or 8 reps. This is, of course, after a good warm up on the treadmill/elliptical/stair machine. After, do some weights, if you can still walk. I try to burn 600-800 calories per session. I wear a heart rate monitor connected to some fancy Suunto watch. Then take a well deserved nap.

Anecdotal here - yesterday we were on a tough uphill portion of our hike, sweating profusely due to some humidity, when my DH complained that his shin splints were acting up and his back hurt and . . .

When we returned we got a call that a dear, but sedentary friend had been hospitalized with chest pains.

He was the first one out the door for our planned activity this morning, an eight mile racewalk along the beach.

Back
Top Bottom