Idiots spreading germs

Children's germs are the worst. They are powerful little devils that make you 10x sicker. My Oncologist taught me how to wash my hands. When in public bathrooms people stare at me when I wash my hands. I just say my doctor taught me how to do this properly.

When I go to the gym, straight to the BR to wash hands after workout. Never touch nose, eyes or mouth. Use your sleeve if you have an itch. Whenever I cut myself, or my sweet yellow lab jumps on me and scratches my arm...straight to the hand sanitizer. Germs get into the bloodstream quickly, never ignore a cut, even a paper cut.

Not much you can do on a plane. Sick people travel and that's the risk you take.

Worst bug I ever got was from the interweb. Just saying.

My daughter lets her girls (2 yr old & 7 month old) play in the dirt at the park and play in the mud at home.
She has some cute photos of the 2 year old covered in mud.

Mainly because it's fun but also to build up their resistance & immunity, especially allergies.

My daughter lived in rural China for over a year as a missionary. To say the least she is not squeamish. She also has a different perspective on life and raising kids.

Last edited:
My daughter lets my granddaughters (2 & 7 months) play in the dirt at the park and play in the mud at home.
She has some cut photos of the 2 year old covered in mud.

Mainly because it's fun but also to build up their resistance & immunity, especially allergies.

My daughter lived in rural China for over a year as a missionary. To say the least she is not squeamish.

There is an excellent podcast from "The People's Pharmacy" about that exactly. Children should be around dirt and pets. This helps good and bad bacteria/microorganisms grow in the gut and protect them as they get older. Allergies are less frequent and general overall health stronger to fight infections. This program is on NPR and the best out there regarding health and well being. Hour long discussions with health experts around the world and very few ads.

This was a huge pet peeve of mine back in my office/cubicle days. People would traipse into the office obviously sick as a dog, coughing all day long, sneezing, wheezing, sniffling, in and out of the break room and various meetings... and for what? To save some paid time off they could use later when they felt better. :mad: Drove me bananas. And every single one of these people could have worked from home, given the nature of our business. I felt it was extraordinarily selfish and disrespectful to others who could very well (and often did) get sick as a result of their cavalier spreading of germs.

When I was still flying, it was common practice for schedulers to put crewmembers who were sick with a cold (and couldn't fly) in as "sandbaggers" for simulator sessions. I always thought it was pretty damn stupid to put a guy with a cold in an enclosed box with 4 other guys for 4 hours. :mad:

Totally get the care one must exercise for the immunocompromised. However, for the rest of us I generally am more concerned about the yuk aspect that the transmission of disease. Worked in sewage plants and other than taking care to wash before eating after a trip therethrough never gave it a thought. Frankly, walking through an STP where millions of gallons of human waste are having 100's of thousands of cubic feet of air bubbled through (creating lots of aerosols) strike me as a greater vector than snotty clerks. Regardless, I'd avoid the snotty clerk just on the yuk issue.

DS is raising two toddlers in Tanzania and their exposure to all things nasty is just part of their lives. No health issues though. I do think they brought home some cummunicable crud when the older one started pre-school. Whole family ended up enjoying it. So yeah, it's the kids potporri of shared biologicals at schools that'll get ya.

Children's germs are the worst

Not much you can do on a plane. Sick people travel and that's the risk you take.

I got really sick on a 5 hour trip to Hawaii, a toddler right behind me was hacking the entire flight, I ended up getting the flu with chills a couple days into the trip that ended up affecting everyone in the travel party

I just wish people would help avoid spreading germs by sneezing or coughing into their elbows, not their hands.

Can't do much about other people's germs, other than try to protect yourself.
I keep a little bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and always use the wipes offered in stores to wipe the handles of the carts. If they don't have them, I clean my hands as soon as I walk out the door before I get in my car.
Retired public health RN--Um,yeah, there's lots of germs out there!

DW and I were at the meat counter of the local grocery store. One person behind the counter mopping the floor with clear disposable gloves on. when she saw us she put the mop away and asked if we needed any help. we said we would like some of the turkey. without changing gloves she went to reach for the turkey. we looked at each other and said no thanks we changed our mind and walked away.

This was a huge pet peeve of mine back in my office/cubicle days. People would traipse into the office obviously sick as a dog, coughing all day long, sneezing, wheezing, sniffling, in and out of the break room and various meetings...

This is an early lesson I learned at Megacorp. The first time I came in sick with a cold, thinking (a) I could tough it out, and (b) show how loyal I was. My manager took one look at me and said "Go home. now". He added (with a smile) "Don't ever think you are important enough to the company that it cannot survive if you are out sick".

Lesson learned. Of course, then the "Bob" temporary agency commercials started... :)

I have noticed since I started working from home, I have not gotten a cold. Perhaps a benefit of not being around a lot pf people all day, or in a older building, or both.

Back
Top Bottom