Join Early Retirement Today

iDisorder
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Administrator

iDisorder

iDisorder. The name of a new book by Larry Rosen, who is also (apparently) attempting to introduce, describe and name this new category of illness. It is a catchy title, reviewed here. The review introduces a few interesting thoughts, such phantom vibration syndrome or how mobile phones reinforce obsessive-compulsive disorder. This last resonates with me, I’ve concluded that many of the people that continually use their cell phones for texting and facebook during movie and theater performances suffer from ADHD. No plans to buy the book, but others may be interested.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've had iDisorder since age 39. Bifocals help a lot.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't agree with the author that the desire to use any/all new technology a lot is necessarily a disorder. It's just something HE doesn't do. I think that people who text at theaters don't have a disorder - - they are rude and were probably raised in a barn and/or by wild wolves.

As for iDisorder, I thought at first it might refer to the thumb/hand pain I have developed in my left hand due to holding my iPad close enough to my face to see it while operating it with my right hand.

I know, I know, I could use the stand feature of the cover but I don't.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that people who text at theaters don't have a disorder - - they are rude and were probably raised in a barn and/or by wild wolves.
U R too kind in your words of such behavior ... (BTW, I was "taught" by nuns in my early years, who had a way to "correct" such bad behavior )...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
. . . they are rude and were probably raised in a barn and/or by wild wolves.
A pack of heathens, as my mother used to say.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
A pack of heathens, as my mother used to say.
I like her already!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've had iDisorder since age 39. Bifocals help a lot.
Funny. I always suspected you had disorders, just not necessarily of the eye.

Quote:
I don't agree with the author that the desire to use any/all new technology a lot is necessarily a disorder. It's just something HE doesn't do.
Or, he sees a career opportunity here. Two areas the US has a clear global lead: finding new ailments, offering expensive treatments.

Quote:
I think that people who text at theaters don't have a disorder - - they are rude and were probably raised in a barn and/or by wild wolves.
No need to choose, there's room for both here.

Quote:

As for iDisorder, I thought at first it might refer to the thumb/hand pain I have developed in my left hand due to holding my iPad close enough to my face to see it while operating it with my right hand.

I know, I know, I could use the stand feature of the cover but I don't.
A whole new category of afflictions. iThumb, iWrist, iEye,
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Administrator

About an hour ago, I witnessed quite a nasty little spat in the grocery store between a mother and her teen daughter who refused to turn off the iPhone while they were shopping together. But I suppose in days past, it would have been the same fight, different technology.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
A pack of heathens...
Whenever I come across this I'm reminded of DD#2, who looked up the phrase in middle school and learned it apparently referred to a type of prairie chicken. I quickly informed her the collective for birds was flock, not herd.

I don't think she did well on her homework grade that day...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
About an hour ago, I witnessed quite a nasty little spat in the grocery store between a mother and her teen daughter who refused to turn off the iPhone while they were shopping together. But I suppose in days past, it would have been the same fight, different technology.
Teens never needed technology to ignore or irritate their parents. Cell phones do offer a great opportunity for parents to teach manners to their children. Seeing how the parents act in public with their own phones, however, I don't hold much hope for a more well mannered future.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting read thanks. I think I agree with W2R that it's a reflection of underlying behavior more than a result of the technology alone. The business world promotes the obsession though. Before I retired I was expected to have my BB with me 24/7 vacations included, and I just accepted it because it was novel at first (wow, I'm important!). It worked when I gave it employees BBs too, they loved "being important."

But like many, I usually didn't answer my BB unless it was necessary. It would ring and be in the next room and DW would get unnerved because I didn't jump up to answer every ring or beep - just her conditioning from growing up with a landline before "answering machines" (boy does that sound antiquated now). She's mellowed finally.

Now if I'm at home, my semi-smart phone sits on the kitchen table most of the time. If I don't hear it ring or buzz, oh well. Friends have told me "boy you're really off the grid aren't you" because I don't usually respond to voice/text/email within 5 minutes. Doesn't bother me a bit...

I was at a (DW) BoD retreat dinner last Saturday and the husband next to me (spouse of an employee like me at this event) spent at least half the dinner sporadically playing with his iPhone clone. Only information he passed on was current sports info, that's all he was doing I suspect. No question he was doing it to show us how important he is, pretty funny since he's a high school tennis coach. So we all walked away just thinking he was incredibly rude...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
Thats funny, I also witnessed a one sided spat at the store check out line this morning. Little boy was drifting away from the cart and mother YELLS loud enough for God and all mankind both to hear "get over here now before I beat the **** out of you". Threats of violence must be an effective discipline tool as he scurried right back to the cart.... Concerning the iDiseases, I sure hope this doesn't catch the medical worlds eye, because my health insurance rates will jump through the roof.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds interesting so I just requested it from the library.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad we mostly missed this with Jenny; she didn't get a cell phone until she left for college. All the wonderful times we had driving in the car together would have been spoiled with texting.

Oh sheesh, I better stop -- Lena doesn't want me posting while we're eating lunch.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm glad we mostly missed this with Jenny; she didn't get a cell phone until she left for college. All the wonderful times we had driving in the car together would have been spoiled with texting.
Oh, no, cell phones make it much more interesting.

Our daughter really doesn't know how to use a map, although at least the Navy has taught her the basics of how to navigate a ship. All she does when she's ready to go somewhere is hop in the car, turn on the engine, whip out her iPhone, bring up Google Maps, search for her destination, and set the phone on the dashboard cupholder where she can glance down at it.

The other day in Houston she missed a turn to get on the highway enroute a major store by another highway. Google obligingly recalculated the shortest route to get her to our destination. Unfortunately they were all surface streets through some of Houston's more "interesting" residential neighborhoods. Even more annoying was being able to look up and see the highways that we should have taken, with all the cars racing by at 3-4x our speed of advance.

When we're going out to dinner with her friends/roommates, then before she brings up Google Maps she reads her texts. When none of her alleged "friends" have confirmed plans for dinner, she texts them. (Engine still running, but at least we parents are no longer paying for the gas.) Then while she's driving she asks one of us to read the texts to her. Well, actually she asks her mother to read them now, after the unfortunate misinterpretation that occurred when I offered to text one of her friends for her...

Before she had a cell phone, she was only able to tell us stories about these sorts of situations. Now with the cell phone, we can participate in real time. It's the difference between watching a drama from the theater audience versus actually being onstage with the actors!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Then while she's driving she asks one of us to read the texts to her. Well, actually she asks her mother to read them now, after the unfortunate misinterpretation that occurred when I offered to text one of her friends for her...
Come on, Nords - you can't leave us hanging after getting our attention with a story lead-in like that!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
All she does when she's ready to go somewhere is hop in the car, turn on the engine, whip out her iPhone, bring up Google Maps, search for her destination, and set the phone on the dashboard cupholder where she can glance down at it.

The other day in Houston she missed a turn to get on the highway enroute a major store by another highway. Google obligingly recalculated the shortest route to get her to our destination.
I don't know about others, but I can't remember when I've looked at a paper map/atlas, I used to keep one in each car. And where I used to print out MapQuest or Google map directions before a long trip to somewhere unfamiliar, I don't any more. Having nav/GPS in cars is wunderbar IMO. I took a 10-day trip from Chicago to Charlottesville, Raleigh, Asheville, Indy and return last year with no maps at all. Just used POI names mostly, and browsed addresses on my phone when I needed an address. Did a little research for the next days stops using the iPad each night. Ain't technology grand!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having nav/GPS in cars is wunderbar IMO. I took a 10-day trip from Chicago to Charlottesville, Raleigh, Asheville, Indy and return last year with no maps at all. Just used POI names mostly, and browsed addresses on my phone when I needed an address. Did a little research for the next days stops using the iPad each night. Ain't technology grand!
Having used an iPhone in the car for about an hour, I'm not enthused. The worst part is having to use reading glasses to decrypt all but the biggest highways. (Although my eyes are moving from 2.50 to 2.75.) The second-worst part is trying to change the scale with a multi-finger swipe resulting in the iPhone doing something completely unexpected, then not being able to "go back".

And that's just sitting in the passenger seat. I can't imagine doing it behind the wheel.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Whenever I come across this I'm reminded of DD#2, who looked up the phrase in middle school and learned it apparently referred to a type of prairie chicken. I quickly informed her the collective for birds was flock, not herd.

I don't think she did well on her homework grade that day...
Not true for all birds there is a murder of crows and a chorus of larks.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Not true for all birds there is a murder of crows and a chorus of larks.
Not to mention a passel of posters, a number who apparently missed the point of my post.