Join Early Retirement Today

If you could only have one test...which would it be?
Old 03-13-2015, 05:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If you could only have one test...which would it be?

I was at My local big box store yesterday that had a free blood pressure check machine which I occasionally use and was pleased to discover that my pressure on that day was 'Great!' as shown by the screen print out.

Got me to thinking, is there one measurement that can be relied on, above all others as an indication of overall health?

Blood pressure? AC1? Cholesterol? Weight? Body Fat? Etc?
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
Administrator

If it has to be boiled down to only one measure of good health, I'd say waking up in the morning is about as close as it gets.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sitting Rising Test:

Ability to sit and rise from the floor is closely correlated with all-cause mortality risk | EurekAlert! Science News

Watch how the sitting-rising test is carried out | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DR. just ordered a cervical MRI. That's what I'm looking forward to.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If it has to be boiled down to only one measure of good health, I'd say waking up in the morning is about as close as it gets.
And looking in the mirror is probably the best single test of physical fitness.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Oh, dear- DH is in trouble. He's got balance problems. The test makes sense, though; falls are a major cause of death for the elderly. I suspect my 80-something mother could pass this test but even she says that you really have to work to maintain your balance because otherwise you wake up one day and it's gone.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
And looking in the mirror is probably the best single test of physical fitness.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The left one...

Oh, you said "test"; nevermind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm using the self administered physical fitness stress test. After I get up in the morning and fog a mirror, I've got things to do.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Oh, dear- DH is in trouble. He's got balance problems. The test makes sense, though; falls are a major cause of death for the elderly. I suspect my 80-something mother could pass this test but even she says that you really have to work to maintain your balance because otherwise you wake up one day and it's gone.
There's such a thing as "balance therapy". It's not much fun(or wasn't for me), similar to physical therapy. Make sure you get someone that is certified, they're probably a PT too. It does work, actually at the end the therapist left it up to me, something makes your balance bad, do it 20-50-100-500 times. Keep doing it till doesn't bother you.

A lot of it was very simple, walk while looking side to side or up and down. Standing on one foot is good too, I do that while waiting in line at the grocery store. You have the cart there to touch if you start to fall. It's amazing how just touching something with one finger will stabilize you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If your non-insurance healthcare costs have been zero dollars for the past several years, you'll probably survive the next few months... or so.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #12

Weight
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This is obviously not true. The ability to sit and rise like they demonstrate is closely tied to age, as in I could do it easily at age 30, and it gets harder and harder each decade. Now at almost 60 I'd probably get a 4 or so on the test, mostly because of the standing back up part.

However, if you look at actuarial tables I, at age 60, have a life expectancy of age 83.4. But a 30 year old only has a life expectancy of 82.2. So there! Scientifically disproven.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #14

I'll be 65 within a month and I just got a nine (had to use a hand to push off the floor).

Using the scoring system on this site: Watch how the sitting-rising test is carried out | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'll be 65 within a month and I just got a nine (had to use a hand to push off the floor).

Using the scoring system on this site: Watch how the sitting-rising test is carried out | Daily Mail Online
When I tried it I felt like Sticky the stick insect trying to get off a sticky bun. I don't want to talk about it.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #16

I didn't think I would do particularly well (I also think the test, like most pop-science indicators like cholesterol, exercise, sleep, social interaction etc is an effing crock anyway) however, I scored a 9. Getting up required me to touch one knee to the floor.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When I tried it I felt like Sticky the stick insect trying to get off a sticky bun. I don't want to talk about it.
I'd like to see your video
I watched the Daily Mail video. The narrator looks like he's going to cry any minute. Maybe he did the sit-rise one too many times.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #18

This sit down get up thing was new to me, so I watched a few videos. There was blatant causality issues in most of the commentary. Suggesting that just by training, and so learning how to increase the score that you'd increase your chances of living longer is not what the study uncovered. It was a simple correlation that was uncovered. So the benefit of training to improve ones score is great as exercise, its hardly the path to longevity.

I got a 10 after a few tries. Gently down, no problem. The first few times, I didn't "stick the landing", meaning I had to take a step after standing up. But after practice, I could stick the landing. For me, the key was to get my feet tucked in close before standing up.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #19

I got down OK but on the way up I heard some strange popping sounds coming from my knees. Now they are a little sore. Score 10 I guess.
I don't think we are on to a fountain of youth secret here.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I can do that, no sweat... How many times sir?
I can can also do it on ice with figure skates.