Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

If you like your insurance you can keep it. ha
Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

If you like your insurance you can keep it. ha

Obama administration knew millions could not keep their health insurance - Investigations

Just got my cancelation letter.....gone cost me about 5k more per year...it will not put me in the poor house but burns me up a bit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
Obama administration knew millions could not keep their health insurance - Investigations

Just got my cancelation letter.....gone cost me about 5k more per year...it will not put me in the poor house but burns me up a bit.
Undoubtedly nitpicking, but there is a grandfather clause exempting older policies, and as long as no changes have been made, and the current coverage meets ACA minimums, no one will be forced to change. Devil in the details, of course...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Undoubtedly nitpicking, but there is a grandfather clause exempting older policies, and as long as no changes have been made, and the current coverage meets ACA minimums, no one will be forced to change. Devil in the details, of course...
Yeah, those devilish details. From what I've read, roughly 50% of existing policies in the individual market are not grandfathered.

I know my policy isn't (those stupid "ACA minimums") and I'll be losing it.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Earth to everyone in the US: the landscape of the marketplace has changed. All else is so much spilt milk. Get over it and get on with life.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Earth to everyone in the US: the landscape of the marketplace has changed. All else is so much spilt milk. Get over it and get on with life.
and know that it will change again and again and again..........
Old 10-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #6

This is a popular story on the various national news networks right now, but while listening to the story this morning I couldn't help but wonder how the canceled plans typically compare with the Exchange plans viz-a-viz cost and features. Assuming anybody can log onto healthcare.gov to compare them.

Every case will be different, I'm sure.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
This is a popular story on the various national news networks right now, but while listening to the story this morning I couldn't help but wonder how the canceled plans typically compare with the Exchange plans viz-a-viz cost and features. Assuming anybody can log onto healthcare.gov to compare them.

Every case will be different, I'm sure.
For plan shopping ignoring subsidies there is also ehealthinsurance.com, or once you know the vendors involved their web sites. (Not that you can sign up there)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Yeah, those devilish details. From what I've read, roughly 50% of existing policies in the individual market are not grandfathered.

I know my policy isn't (those stupid "ACA minimums") and I'll be losing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

The delta between "50% of existing policies" and "no one" is hardly nitpicking.

-ERD50
Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

It all just amounts to more campaign rhetoric that most people either don't pay attention to or consider to be mostly lies anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
It all just amounts to more campaign rhetoric that most people either don't pay attention to or consider to be mostly lies anyway.

Testing.....testing.....just checking to see if this thread was closed yet.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Testing.....testing.....just checking to see if this thread was closed yet.

LOL.... I was thinking the same.... but so far it is civil....
Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm expecting my cancellation notice or policy adjustment any day now. I usually get my annual premium adjustment around this time. I have a 10k ded so I guess I will be getting a different policy too.

Going to store to stock up on med's. If it comes down to insurance or med's, I'm going with med's.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #13

can someone explain to me why I need to have a plan that includes routine child checkups and pre natal care when I have no small children and unless there is some sort of immaculate conception thing for me I'm not having kids?
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
can someone explain to me why I need to have a plan that includes routine child checkups and pre natal care when I have no small children and unless there is some sort of immaculate conception thing for me I'm not having kids?
Easy.

You must help those less fortunate, according to ACA and its originator. Spread the wealth.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The delta between "50% of existing policies" and "no one" is hardly nitpicking.

-ERD50
The nitpicking reference was that there's no "rule" saying anyone has to change. But all the nuances mean that many will have to...

As for me, I have employer provided HI, and also retiree HI through a previous employer, so I've not paid much attention to the aforementioned nuances. But much of the crying and whining I've heard over ACA comes from folks, unlike here, who have no idea what ACA means to anyone. From my decidedly casual observances, it's hit or miss, depending on the individual, whether the ACA results in better/worse coverage and is more/less expensive than buying on the current open market.

May come a time when it is changed, reformed, or cancelled, but for now, see Brewer's post above...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Many thanks to those who kept their comments low on the politicometer.