Join Early Retirement Today

If you walk for exercise- how extreme are you.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you walk for exercise- how extreme are you.

Just got back in, 17 degrees out there and gusting -no not gusting sitting here I can hear it howling. I generally walk about a 40 minute loop everyday. Ok when its raining I hit the stationery bike in the cellar. Today face mask, fur hat, gloves, glove liners and a warm hooded coat. Oh and just as important wireless earphone and a podcast playing on my phone. The last couple hundred yards i started to feel the cold penetrate my back. Tomorrow sweat shirt under coat. That should do it.

I feel, no fear if i stop exercising for even one day I risk getting lazy. Today was quite a test I feel good having done it. I saw the people waiting in cars for the kids to get off the bus. As a kid the bus let me off about 30 yards from my house so luckily there was no need. I dont know how midwesterners do it.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #2

My goal is to exercise at least six days a week. I like variety, so my exercise may be pickleball, cycling, walking, hiking, strength training, or yoga. I don’t like being out in the cold wind so I played pickleball today and planning for yoga tomorrow.

I’ll walk as long as the “feels like” temp is 20 degrees F or above. Good for you getting out there today- too nasty for me!
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I walk on the road pretty much every day except when the road/shoulder has snow on it. Walked this past Thanksgiving morning for 45 minutes. The temp was 4 degrees with a 15 mph wind. Just bundle up and walk quickly and you will be OK!
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Google Fit says I've walked 94 miles so far this month, but given today's GPS glitches I'm concerned about the accuracy. I usually walk a mile every 15-20 minutes, and walk 2-3 miles in the mornings, extra off and on during the day. Morning walks are usually 50+ degrees after the sun is up, so slightly chilly but great with little to no wind.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Administrator

So far this month I’ve averaged just over 2 hours walking per day, and for the whole of 2018 I averaged just over 2 hours per day. This is an average as some days we hike 5 to 10 miles. Earlier this month we drove to visit my SIL just outside of Edinburgh and immediately after arriving went out for a 6 mile walk. Next day we drove out to a country park and hiked 8.4 miles, the following day 6 miles in the Pentlands.

Then we all drove back to our place and did a 5 mile hike in the hills behind our house. Next day we drove a few miles to the coast and hiked 7.5 miles down the coast from Whitby to Robin Hood’s Bay and caught a bus back to Whitby. Next day we walked about 3 miles in the town before taking SIL to the train station.

This week we did a 6 mile hike on the coast, and have been to the gym twice, and will go again tomorrow. The gym is a 0.75 mile walk from the house but by the time we add a walk to a coffee shop then home via a shop or 2 to pick up groceries it ends up being close to 3 miles. On Tuesdays and Thursdays at the gym we do a 1 hour exercise class consisting of Pilates, yoga and Thai Chi. Mondays and Fridays is weight training.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

I try to walk 3-5 miles 5X per week. Today was great. Due to the cold, blustery weather, I had the greenway empty except for me (I don't hate people, just don't care for 'em). I grew up in ND, so NC cold is a cake walk. But the simple rules still apply; wear layers and get out before you start perspiring. Also, protect your extremities - they'll freeze quickly if not protected. And cover your noggin - that gourd on your neck can account for up to 70% of body heat loss. YMMV!
Old 01-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

According to apple health, I average 5.2 miles daily in 2018. Or 14334 steps.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #8

I generally walk a bit over 3 miles every day, but I didn't today. I'll go if the temperature is down to -5F or so, as long as the wind isn't too bad. But today we didn't get above -10F, so I wimped out. The overnight low was -22F last night and is forecast to be -25F tonight. Yikes.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Y’all are inspiring me to get out there in the cold! To date, I’ve been a fair weather (>30) hiker. I will bundle up and go!
GR111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:18 PM   #10

Walk for 50 minutes every morning. DW wouldn't let me go this AM as it was -7 degrees. When there is rain or ice I either walk a loop in our basement or use the elliptical. I much prefer to be outside if at all possible.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #11

If I even think of skipping my 2-3 daily walks, my walking buddy (yellow lab) reminds me that we have to go (and he knows the walking schedule). So we go, pretty much regardless of weather (unless it is pouring rain.......then we will delay for a bit until it lightens up). I don't particularly enjoy walking in below zero weather, but I bundle up and do it, as it is good for both of us.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I average 3.3 miles a day according to my phone. I walk and hike in cold weather every day. It was -13 one day this week and I walked less but still got out and walked. Today I went to the ranch and walked 3 miles it was about 0 today with a light wind.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Currently walking 5.2 miles per day based on my Fitbit app. The weather is south Texas in winter (40's to 70's).
Old 01-30-2019, 04:55 PM   #14

We walk the dog 5 miles every day here in Phoenix. Obviously this is a great time of year to do that. July and August heat/humidity makes it harder but we just go earlier and carry water as well as a collapsible bowl for the pooch and take a brief break in a little mini-park at the three mile mark. No walking of the dog when sidewalk temperatures are too hot such that you can't keep the back of your hand in contact for more than five to ten seconds.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I use the municipal rec center’s indoor track during disagreeable weather.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:26 PM   #16

My annual goal is to exercise 275 days (75% of 365 days). Normally that's split between the gym, walking and Nordic Track in the basement. Some days will be just a walk; others will be gym + a walk. Walk could be 30 to 60 minutes. If under a 45 minute walk with no gym that day I only give myself credit for half a day. I live in MA so I do wimp out of walking on some really cold days.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I walk about 3 miles Mon thru Fri down to about 20F. Much less than that and I’m on our treadmill for 30 minutes. I need to resuming resistance/weight workouts again though, cardio isn’t enough IMO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:54 PM   #18
gone traveling

I would be extremely crazy to go walking outside in the Northern and Midwest frigid temps. These Florida bones spend the time in the gym doing cardio and weights. Walking outside in Florida, I've seen snakes slither thru the grass and alligators at times sunning themselves at the edge of the lakes, swamps and retention ponds so I stick to the sidewalks if I do any walking outside.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I walk about 3 miles Mon thru Fri down to about 20F. Much less than that and I’m on our treadmill for 30 minutes. I need to resuming resistance/weight workouts again though, cardio isn’t enough IMO.
Yeah, cardio by itself is not enough. I do 30 minutes strength on all work days.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I use the municipal rec center’s indoor track during disagreeable weather.

Similar to this. Nice and sunny but cold. Headed to the university and did stairs in one of the nice glass towers.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote