Join Early Retirement Today

If Your Molecules were Reversed, Would You Die?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If Your Molecules were Reversed, Would You Die?

For my new book, a woman will be transported to a new time via a time machine.

I thought it would be fun if she comes out as a mirror image of herself (heart on the right, liver on the left, etc.).

BUT, I'm guessing that if all her molecules were to be mirror image isomers of what they had been, she would die.

Think so?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It sounds similar to what happens when Earth's magnetic poles reverse.

Is it true that the Earth‘s magnetic field is about to flip? | physics.org

Maybe she has a mutated gene, and gets affected by this?

Anyway, a really interesting idea, Al.

Maybe she ends up only being able to talk backwards.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Situs Inversus Totalis, a condition in which a person's organs are all arranged as a mirror image of the usual, is not uncommon, occurring in 1:8000 to 1:10000 births. It is usually picked up on a physical examination and confirmed by imaging such as ultrasounds or X-rays, making sure to label right and left very carefully! If everything is backwards, the person should be healthy, although if the diagnosis has not been made, it can cause problems with future diagnosis (e.g. missing a case of appendicitis because the pain is on the left or "wrong" side of the abdomen). People with this condition should wear a medic alert bracelet.

Situs inversus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Occasionally, such a person will have a disorder of ciliary function called Kartagener's syndrome, which usually presents with respiratory symptoms.

Other people have mixed situs inversus, a condition in which some organs face one way and some face the other way. The direction setting equipment seems to have gotten confused! These people are quite likely to have complex congenital heart disease and may sometimes have no spleen, rendering them more susceptible to infection.

If a person's molecules were mirror images, they would be L or D isomers. As we learned in chemistry class, such compounds usually behave quite differently. Therefore, one would expect such a person to exhibit clinical symptoms, which could be anything you can think up!

I hope this helps the cause of literary fiction, Al!
Old 03-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
BUT, I'm guessing that if all her molecules were to be mirror image isomers of what they had been, she would die.
She's dead. Quite slowly and painfully, too, from malnutrition and environmental toxins such as things that we consider to be nutritional, but which have the wrong 'handedness' for her biology to metabolize. And all those 'mirror image' chemicals in her body don't act quite the same way the originals do, so she might not even make it as far as her first toxic meal!

Read this: An Adventure in Stereochemistry: Alice in Mirror Image Land (PDF)
Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
She's dead. Quite slowly and painfully, too, from malnutrition and environmental toxins such as things that we consider to be nutritional, but which have the wrong 'handedness' for her biology to metabolize. And all those 'mirror image' chemicals in her body don't act quite the same way the originals do, so she might not even make it as far as her first toxic meal!

Read this: An Adventure in Stereochemistry: Alice in Mirror Image Land (PDF)
I love it! But the exam is tough. You don't happen to have the answers, I suppose?
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I love it! But the exam is tough. You don't happen to have the answers, I suppose?
As my old physics prof used to say, as he flung six stacked blackboards full of math out of sight...

"The answer should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer!"

Old 03-04-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
As my old physics prof used to say, as he flung six stacked blackboards full of math out of sight...

"The answer should be intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer!"

I was just curious to know about the actual chemicals, INTJ that I am!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
For my new book, a woman will be transported to a new time via a time machine.

I thought it would be fun if she comes out as a mirror image of herself (heart on the right, liver on the left, etc.).

Think so?
Well in our Universe naturally occurring organic molecules are left handed as are particle electro-weak interactions, so if those were reversed as well I imagine that she would be ok. She'd probably die if she went to the other Universe and stayed the same.

I'm always intrigued by the way organic compounds that are isomers can interact very differently, all to do with shape and binding energy.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

Maybe she ends up only being able to talk backwards.

Or maybe talk backwards while playing the guitar at the same time (another one from Steve Goodman, with a reference to a Homer & Jethro song buried in a backwards line)?

thgin ta tuo emoc yeht srats ekil era hteet ruoy

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #10

Here is a wikipedia article about Chirality: Chirality (chemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia In particular see the biology section. Note that sugars come left and right handed so the person might well starve to death as the wrong handed sugar just passes right thru.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

A little reverse transcriptase goes a long way.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
A little reverse transcriptase goes a long way.
Bingo!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Yes D-glucose is what we use as fuel. The isomer L-glucose can't be metabolized so no go on the energy front. D-glucose and L-glucose are only two of the 16 aldose stereoisomers with the same C6 H12 O6 formula.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #14

Stupid question here. If someone had a mirror-image body, could they metabolize the "other" stereoisomers? If we use the L now, does the D fit in reverse-chirality world?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Stupid question here. If someone had a mirror-image body, could they metabolize the "other" stereoisomers? If we use the L now, does the D fit in reverse-chirality world?
No.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:53 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

So she brings along some food stuffs to eat for 60 years or so that they also get reversed and she is golden. She uses the 60 years to figure out to put stuff in the time machine whenever she needs more sustenance.

Meadbh's response notwithstanding, since I don't agree with it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:02 AM   #17

Arthur C. Clarke wrote the story "Technical Error" (1946) about this very thing. The conceit was that, due to an industrial accident, a man was somehow transported through a 4th spatial dimension and ended up mirror imaged at the molecular level. Starvation was the prognosis so they attempted to reverse the process. Not one of his best, but his usual attention to scientific details shows.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #18

My biochemist DD and I have an hour-long car ride planned for tomorrow. This concept will be a fun conversation.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Arthur C. Clarke wrote the story "Technical Error" (1946) about this very thing. The conceit was that, due to an industrial accident, a man was somehow transported through a 4th spatial dimension and ended up mirror imaged at the molecular level. Starvation was the prognosis so they attempted to reverse the process. Not one of his best, but his usual attention to scientific details shows.
That's cool, but you know they didn't know as much about DNA, proteins, lipids, oligosaccharides, etc. back then, so I will have to go see what Mr Clarke put in his story. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Just tossing thoughts out…

The disease mentioned appears to be an “oops” in gene programming.

For your story, you may want to look for some reason for the mirror-image that does not involve molecules becoming mirror images. To babble:

If the mirror image got down to the point of electrons & positrons, your character would probably emerge as anti-matter, with everything in a quite large radius being vaporized in a large explosion.

Skipping atoms, if molecules (formed by electron connections I believe) are reversed, the body of the character may not hold together. If it does, the person probably could not utilize the oxygen from the air, it wouldn’t connect right to the molecules of the body.