In Case of Emergency apps

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Recently I have become aware if so called ICE app - In Case of Emergency. The idea is that one stores vital information on the app and emergency personnel can access it on your phone to get information on medicines one takes, allergies, who to contact etc.

The one app recommended has very poor reviews in the iTunes Store which leads me to asking what if any experience others have had using this type of app. It seems like a good idea if properly implemented.

I've heard of folks putting "In case of emergency" right into their phone contacts list.

omni

There is a simpler solution for iPhones, just use the emergency contact that is built into it.
The new iOS offers a seamless way to add it right to the lock screen. Here's the steps:
How to set up your emergency Medical ID with iOS 8's new Health app
It looks like everyone can see the information if you enable it for view when locked.

I have ICE contact information -- who to call in my ICE on android phone. This is available when locked.
I do the important medical information the old fashioned way, medic alert. The places medics check first are wrists and neck.

Personally I don't carry my phone everywhere. When with other people, it might not be obvious who's phone is who's. But maybe you are attached to your phone more than I

I've always used the DIY method of making an image file with a big ICE on the first line, then "Call XXXXXXXX, ###-###-####" on the next lines. I use this image as my lock screen, so anyone who grabs my phone when I'm hit by the beer truck can turn it on and immediately see who to notify.

There is a simpler solution for iPhones, just use the emergency contact that is built into it.
The new iOS offers a seamless way to add it right to the lock screen. Here's the steps:
How to set up your emergency Medical ID with iOS 8's new Health app

I've always used the DIY method of making an image file with a big ICE on the first line, then "Call XXXXXXXX, ###-###-####" on the next lines. I use this image as my lock screen, so anyone who grabs my phone when I'm hit by the beer truck can turn it on and immediately see who to notify.

I have both of these things in place.

I don't care who can see the medication I choose to list on the Medical info or the blood type (it's unusual) and the fact I have elected to be an organ donor (which is on my driving license as well).

It looks like everyone can see the information if you enable it for view when locked.

Personally I don't carry my phone everywhere. When with other people, it might not be obvious who's phone is who's. But maybe you are attached to your phone more than I

You only see the info if you press the word emergency in the lower left corner.

I am literally never more than five feet from my phone 24/7. Though not actually a millennial, I share many of their characteristics, lol. ;)

There are three iPhone 6 phones in my house, and we tell them apart by the lock screen photos, and also see above for that it is rarely out of my hands. Just ask anyone who knows me! YMMV ;)

I have been using the ICE app for several years now. I keep the shortcut on my home screen

You only see the info if you press the word emergency in the lower left corner.

I am literally never more than five feet from my phone 24/7. Though not actually a millennial, I share many of their characteristics, lol. ;)

There are three iPhone 6 phones in my house, and we tell them apart by the lock screen photos, and also see above for that it is rarely out of my hands. Just ask anyone who knows me! YMMV ;)
cell phones are not allowed in the gym I go to. I also don't take the phone when I race sailboats. I do take it biking, but is case of a wreck... it might not be near me. Even if it was... may be broken. My stainless medic alert would likely survive.

So if you have a fire in your house and you all are retrieved unconscious... would the phones be on your person? who would tell them what color picture each of you used?

would you take your phone swimming or snorkeling with you? mountain climbing?

Omg, you win the whole internet, Bingybear!

Jeez, I guess if I die without my phone with me they can use my dental records to ID me, lol.

But no way am I carrying around an ID bracelet with my DH's phone number on it! <snort>

Omg, you win the whole internet, Bingybear!

Jeez, I guess if I die without my phone with me they can use my dental records to ID me, lol.

But no way am I carrying around an ID bracelet with my DH's phone number on it! <snort>
I put my wife phone # on my phones ICE. But really the most likely places I would expect needing help... I likely will not have a phone or would have a fair chance of being damaged. I got the medic alert after getting a pacemaker. I really want to make sure an EMT knows about it, know that I can get an MRI if prep'ed correctly, etc. And yes, my wife's # is there too.

And I am a bit different than most. I don't carry my phone all that often. I designed the cellular base station equipment (radios and amplifiers) for 2 decades... not afraid of the technology. I just don't carry it.
If others really carry it that much and in an emergency it could be identified as yours, great.. use it. If the difference in phone is picture color... how is an EMT to know that. At some point (and it could be soon), maybe the EMT will first look for a phone. I'm trying to point to the reality of how it would be used. Do your phone, if your really doing this for emergency information, what will a first responder look for?

I'll end my comments on this thread

Ah so didn't know you had hardware (pacemaker) on board--that makes sense for the alert thingie. DH's dad has one of those and when he was still mobile, he had a bracelet with deets about it he wore.

I got no such troubles (yet) though. My medical friends tell me the first responders do look for phones and contact info these days. So that's good news.

I didn't mean to make light of it, sorry about that, but it was such a worst case scenario thing I was imagining...scuba diving and having to look around for my phone under water to get a phone number. It was funny, to me, but I am sorry--my sense of humor is kinda weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom