Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You can do it for an hour or so but then you need to sit.

So you would need a stool that can let you work on the elevated surface or just remember to get up and move around.

explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Office Balance Ball Chair (53 cm Diameter) at Fat Catalogoffice-balance-ball-chair-53-cm-diameter-/?sc_cid=GoogleFeed_CHA-BRT53WL&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have considered one of these; but, general concensus seems to be that they are not a great idea. Some fairly recent articles, most with more links:

Personally, I am a huge fan of the Aeron but am too cheap to purchase one for my own office.
If there's one thing in my life that's missing; It's the time I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters; There's lots of those friendly people
Showin me ways to go; And I never want to lose your inspiration
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Just a quick update. My back feels pretty good and a lot better than the past couple of days.

As for a chair, I have an old knee sit chair (like the one pictured) which helps put my body weight forward towards the knees instead of the back.

I like regular chairs more but for the time being, I'm gonna use the knee sit chair to be safe.
Attached Images
File Type: gif officekneeler.gif (23.5 KB, 56 views)
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Another vote for Herman Miller.. Not soft and cushy but very supportive. Not a great pic, but it looks a little like a sci-fi capts chair from the back

__________________ Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Personally, I am a huge fan of the Aeron but am too cheap to purchase one for my own office.
FWIW mine is 15 years old and shows no wear at all, it'll probably last longer than I do. I expected the mesh (on the seat especially) to stretch and get "baggy" in time, but it's not sagging at all. Very well built...
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm sitting in my Aeron chair right now. It's great.

I did have to play around with the adjustments for a while before I got them right. Worth every penny.
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
This is what I have at work. I trade mine out with a less used one from the conference room ever six months or so. Our local office supply company got us 20 of them for half price. It is not a bad sitting chair. My chair at home is from Sam's Club. I sat in chairs from all the office big box stores, and found the one from Sam's to be the best fit for me. I don't remember the name, but it cost less than $200.

Make good money, five dollars a day.
Made anymore, I might move away.
Larro Darro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...
I stand, or sit on my exercise ball (Swiss Ball). I have used this for years as I like my huge monitor and would not enjoy a laptop..

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.
This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I was heavily involved with providing engineering support to our organization's ergonomics program. You should not be focusing just on your chair. You chair is just one component of your computer workstation. Your desk, keyboard, monitor angle & height, mouse, and foot rests all come into play as well. Here is one of many websites that tell you house you should evaluate your desk area.

Guide to Setting Up an Ergonomic Computer Station

Sit/stand desks became popular toward the last couple of years at my w*rkplace. Some people stand all the time. I varied between sitting and standing throughout the day. However, you need to have preset heights and an electronic desk.

We also had software that prompted rest breaks and a short exercise routine. Getting up to walk around for a couple of minutes is OK but you can also add a few neck, finger, wrist, and leg stretches as well.

The message here is that you could take all the recommendations for chairs and still not be comfortable because the rest of you desk setup is not correct. We had an ergonomic office that let you try out chairs for 1 month and return them if you didn't like them. That shows that you have to shop around to get one right for you.
Happy, Wild, and Free
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...
For those considering the standing approach, I've been using one of these for at least fifteen years. DW has one too, although she mainly (75% of the time) uses it in seated mode.

Ergonomic Adjustable Keyboard Podium - Computer Keyboard Stand and Laptop Stand

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote