Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
As usual, you kind folks at this forum are a wealth of extremely helpful information!!!!!! Many thanks. I think am going to see what Costco has to offer style-wise and cost-wise since I am a "visual-kind-of-guy" ;-)

prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #22
My last several pairs of glasses are from costco. My last pair was a "do it all" pair - transitions lenses (eliminating need for sunglasses), progressives, etc...

This time around I decided to have sunglasses (including progressives since I like to read at the beach.) and regular (no transitions) with progressives.

Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Wow, what a timely thread!

Has anyone had "readers" made, rather than buying them off the rack? I've been thinking of trying it, but didn't want to waste my $$$. From some of the links I've seen above, it might be worth a shot. I haven't found any readers that I've been too pleased with (cheap, shoddy frames, lenses don't seem as sharp, etc.)
My husband doesn't need prescriptive lenses - but does need progressive or readers for reading/computer. He decided to get a "do-it-all" pair of progressives with transitions from costco. It was a lot more expensive than readers but he likes it when he's working outside and needs to see details.

rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Just got back from Costco - wow! Where have I been? We've been Costco members for years and just never thought of getting glasses there. I needed some computer glasses, and saved a ton of money. Now I don't have to worry about how we'll afford new glasses after we retire.

Also, just FYI, if you want to really save, bring in old frames, they'll charge you $18 to re-use and re-fit them.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
After my extensive eye exam in the spring (which did not include a prescription), the hospital's optometrist had a three month wait for an appointment. I went to Costco for both the optomestrist service and the contacts/glasses products. The optometrist was equally as thorough as the hospital's staff optometrists have been in the past, and the contacts and glasses are perfect. The contacts (12 month supply of monthly disposable) and non-bifocals cost me $260 all told, but the rebates brought that down about $60 dollars.

I looked at the online places but my prescription is coke-bottle thick and I was worried that the frames I liked might not support them (besides the prescription exceeded at least one online place's limit). My kids have had great success with 39dollarglasses and Zenni.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you don't have accurate measure of pupillary distance, go to Costco or Walmart.
Along the way, if you can get this measurement, hold on to it (and your lens prescription) in case you want to go mail order next time.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote