Join Early Retirement Today

Inner Ear Problems........
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Inner Ear Problems........

I think. Woke up this morning, rolled to my right, and the bed just starting spinning and spinning. Didn't throw up but came close. Got up and felt better by just being upright but still a little unsteady. Yesterday morning I had an abbreviated version but but much worse today. I had this problem 10 years ago or so but by time I got an appointment with the ear doc, it had faded away.

Any of you guys ever have this problem? Any home remedies to help? I'm not getting out this morning, don't need this while driving.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oh that is WEIRD - - yesterday I had to come home from work because the room was spinning, and I didn't want to wait until I was too dizzy to drive.

This morning I still don't feel too good so I stayed home again. I seem to be OK as long as I am sitting in my easy chair and dozing.

Maybe it's some kind of weird bug going around? In my case, it never got bad enough that I felt like throwing up. Yesterday I thought maybe it was bad chicken, but the chicken looked and smelled fresh and I never had any digestive symptoms. Today I am not back to normal yet so I guess it wasn't the chicken.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a case like this about 14 years ago. Doc said I had a virus in the cochlea. Took about 7 or 8 days to run its course. I was not supposed to drive during that time. I had driven to work the first morning and felt like I was gonna lose my lunch, so I went home...scariest drive I ever had. Stayed home the next day. Attempted to go to work the day after, but the drive was more than I could take and I went back home. Went to the doc, and he told me to chill for a few days. I did, it went away, has never come back. Now if the tinnitus would just go away...

R
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Oh that is WEIRD - - yesterday I had to come home from work because the room was spinning, and I didn't want to wait until I was too dizzy to drive.

This morning I still don't feel too good so I stayed home again. I seem to be OK as long as I am sitting in my easy chair and dozing.

Maybe it's some kind of weird bug going around? In my case, it never got bad enough that I felt like throwing up. Yesterday I thought maybe it was bad chicken, but the chicken looked and smelled fresh and today I am not back to normal yet so I guess not.
I guess we shouldn't tell the forum about the cuisine we shared.......
Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I guess we shouldn't tell the forum about the cuisine we shared.......
Tee-hee!! In my case, I made some chicken parmesan the night before, refrigerated half right away, and took that half to work in the morning - - then didn't bother to put it in our (gross) work refrigerator and just put the container in a desk drawer for four hours before eating. With the A/C being so frigid I thought it would probably be OK, but felt guilty because, y'know, chicken.... Started feeling bad about a half hour after I ate it for lunch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've suffered from inner ear problems off and on for years. One thing I've learned that helped a lot is to be sure to sleep with your head elevated. I was in the habit of sleeping on my stomach without pillows and discovered that would almost always trigger early morning dizziness. Started sleeping on my side and back using a pillow or two under my head and now the problem rarely occurs and is very mild if it does happen.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think. Woke up this morning, rolled to my right, and the bed just starting spinning and spinning. Didn't throw up but came close. Got up and felt better by just being upright but still a little unsteady. Yesterday morning I had an abbreviated version but but much worse today. I had this problem 10 years ago or so but by time I got an appointment with the ear doc, it had faded away.

Any of you guys ever have this problem? Any home remedies to help? I'm not getting out this morning, don't need this while driving.
I have no idea what yours is, but a few years ago I had benign positional vertigo, from calcium deposits in the inner ear. I would change positions and my world would spin. My Doc did the "Epley maneuver" where you do all these things to change positions to work the calcium deposits out of the inner ear. And then you need to sit to sleep the next night. It made me horribly nauseous but the next day I was perfectly fine. You can google it and do the positioning yourself. My doctor had it herself and she didn't want to sleep sitting up for a night so she suffered through for three weeks. I convinced her that it was worth it if she ever had it again.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have no idea what yours is, but a few years ago I had benign positional vertigo, from calcium deposits in the inner ear.
You think that's what my doc meant when he told me I had 'rocks in my head'?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I've suffered from inner ear problems off and on for years. One thing I've learned that helped a lot is to be sure to sleep with your head elevated. I was in the habit of sleeping on my stomach without pillows and discovered that would almost always trigger early morning dizziness. Started sleeping on my side and back using a pillow or two under my head and now the problem rarely occurs and is very mild if it does happen.
I'll try 2 pillows. I need to do it for acid reflux problems too. God I'm getting old.

Martha, I'll try the Epley maneuver too. I want to nip it in the bud soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Here is a video of the Epley maneuver:

Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here is a video of the Epley maneuver:

I better do it near the bathroom.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #12

I don't know about the rocks, Wahoo, but dizziness would explain some of your post.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #13

Dawg, I had benign positional vertigo myself. I found do it yourself instructions for the Epley Maneuver -- did it once and the problem was solved. Definitely worth a try.

But do see a doc if that doesn't solve it.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

For decades we assumed this was a viral disease ("vestibular neuronitis") but the stone theory seems more likely and the maneuvers mentioned above (along with another one called the Semont maneuver) seem to have good success.

The Semont maneuver has you sit on the bed; in 30 second blocks, turn the head 45 degrees; then you drop on to the shoulder you are looking away from, keeping your head rotated. Then you swing back all the way to the opposite shoulder, keeping your head turned (kind of smushed into the bed) and NOT stopping halfway. Finally, you return upright, head still turned. You can do it with the head tilted the other way, too. You are turning your head away from the affected ear (doc can tell you which).

Note that in rare cases, the same symptoms can result from stroke, tumor, etc. A good exam can usually differentiate, but if this is a first bout, I suggest a doctor visit.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks Martha and Daw54
Old 06-04-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Martha and Daw54

I've been having dizzy spells on and off for over 2 years. Doctor did tried antihistamines, hormones for swelling - no big relief, eventually it got better, but still comes back every once in a while. Just had an episode over the weekend just like Dawg54- weird. Any how I'll give this a shot over the next week.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Was this dizziness experienced the morning after an evening full of self-medicating your portfolio induced pains away? I used to experience bouts of dizziness and nausea every Saturday and Sunday morning during my college years. They would usually clear up by the evening. I also found sleeping till 2 pm to help with the symptoms, if not the underlying illness.

Seriously, sounds like vertigo. DW has it and went to the dr. for it. Not sure if the Epley was done on her, but the doc said it would go away soon or she should come back in.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Was this dizziness experienced the morning after an evening full of self-medicating your portfolio induced pains away? I used to experience bouts of dizziness and nausea every Saturday and Sunday morning during my college years. They would usually clear up by the evening. I also found sleeping till 2 pm to help with the symptoms, if not the underlying illness.

Seriously, sounds like vertigo. DW has it and went to the dr. for it. Not sure if the Epley was done on her, but the doc said it would go away soon or she should come back in.
Nah, actually a little lite on my med's lately. Even went to bed at 9:30 last night. Maybe that is the problem.

Well I just did the maneuver. Boy, the spinning sensation started when I first laid down at the 45 degree angle. But it stopped about half way through the first 30 seconds. No barfing required. Will see how it goes. Guess I will try to sleep sitting up tonight.

I have an annual physical next month. If the problem persists, I'll move up the appointment.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I better do it near the bathroom.
Yes, it is bad. I puked when I was done. But it is still worth it.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
For decades we assumed this was a viral disease ("vestibular neuronitis") but the stone theory seems more likely and the maneuvers mentioned above (along with another one called the Semont maneuver) seem to have good success.
I don't understand how the maneuvers w*rk.
Is it a method of getting the fluid in the inner ear to shift around and hopefully dislodge something? Or an equalizing method ?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, it is bad. I puked when I was done. But it is still worth it.
Did you do the maneuver more than once? Just wondered if I should do it again later today.

EDIT: Never mind. My stomach is telling me no.