Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2016, 01:30 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Here I am up at 1:30 a.m., not unusual. At least I don't need to get up early for w*rk any more. Nothing really works for me for long.

Many years ago when I was in psychoanalytic training (which btw I did not finish) and the required psychoanalysis, I realized the treatment would not cure my insomnia but it did cure my fear of having insomnia. It wasn't going to kill me so I've learned to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A question for the folks who take Ambient every day. How long have you been doing this? Do you find that you have to increase the dosage for it to work? I have heard it can be very addicting.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #63

Ambien worked very well for me the first few times I used it, then it just quit working.

I have had insomnia since starting into menopause - probably about a decade. The only thing that worked for me was Xanax, but it is highly addictive.

Recently Oregon legalized pot for recreational use so I went to a dispensary and asked for a strain that might help me sleep. Wow, I've been sleeping like a baby for several months now.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Series of articles on insomnia in the new Consumer Reports. Discusses everything from drugs to pillows. No magic bullets.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
A question for the folks who take Ambient every day. How long have you been doing this? Do you find that you have to increase the dosage for it to work? I have heard it can be very addicting.
Been taking Ambien for over 15 years ... and have not had to increase dosage for it to work. I actually cut the 10 mg pill in half. Many nights I sleep only 5 hours but it is better than nothing. Some nights I will take both halves. On occasion no halves.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I was on 10mg daily for 7 years. I never had to increase, till it stopped working. Then it was hell, didn't sleep for a couple months, really bad time. I'll never take that med again.

My doc didn't really know that I had managed to get off the stuff, or how miserable I had been. He innocently asked if I needed a new script. I mentioned not sleeping for a couple of months, no thanks.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Ambien worked very well for me the first few times I used it, then it just quit working.

I have had insomnia since starting into menopause - probably about a decade. The only thing that worked for me was Xanax, but it is highly addictive.

Recently Oregon legalized pot for recreational use so I went to a dispensary and asked for a strain that might help me sleep. Wow, I've been sleeping like a baby for several months now.

What's the strain?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-03-2016, 08:44 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

A bad head cold will make your night sleepless. And then DH gets it and keeps me up all night with his coughing!
Old 01-05-2016, 06:09 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I tried 3mg of melatonin last night and had horrible violent nightmares that were so unsettling I had to turn on lights for an hour.

Read today that some people have this side effect, which is pretty fascinating.

Won't try that again!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I tried 3mg of melatonin last night and had horrible violent nightmares that were so unsettling I had to turn on lights for an hour.

Read today that some people have this side effect, which is pretty fascinating.

Won't try that again!

I have tried Melatonin before and it did absolutely nothing for me ... I guess everyone is different.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #71

We give melatonin to the grand kids, and they sleep like babies. It works well. Some people do well with Tylenol PM.

Xanex and Ambien are products of the devil.

My father had just taken an Ambien when someone rang his doorbell and he jumped out of bed to answer the door. He fell and had a broken hip--never to come out of the hospital. It's a very habit forming drug.

I just try to work hard around the house, and I don't have any problems sleeping well on my CPAP.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
What's the strain?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I would like to know the strain as well.

Do you smoke it, vape or is it an edible?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #73

Quote:
I tried 3mg of melatonin last night and had horrible violent nightmares that were so unsettling I had to turn on lights for an hour. ...
Quote:
...IMO the inland areas are an armpit, and I've known a few people who moved to Riverside or San Bernardino counties thinking they would be better than the east coast cold- only to bail out a couple of years later back to their previous location.
But- some people still love living there and swear they will never leave despite the traffic, crowding, taxes etc.
Were you dreaming that you were living in Riverside?
Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rlsa View Post
I would like to know the strain as well.

Do you smoke it, vape or is it an edible?
I have a variety of strains, I stocked up before the state added the 25% tax. I just had the bud tenders recommend strains that would help me sleep. My favorite so far is raspberry kush.

I infused pot in coconut oil then add it to my tea. I used shake for that. To smoke it I use bud.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I just try to work hard around the house, and I don't have any problems sleeping well on my CPAP.
+1 I don't have a problem sleeping, but DW does. Seems to me that exercise and staying away from electronic devices for a few hours before bedtime would be better than taking a pill.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #76
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1 I don't have a problem sleeping, but DW does. Seems to me that exercise and staying away from electronic devices for a few hours before bedtime would be better than taking a pill.
That makes sense to me. I also try to stay away from caffeine after lunch, and to avoid loud high tension music. I try to calm down and just do peaceful, happy, slow things for a couple of hours before bedtime.

It seems to me that as I grow older, some nights I don't need more than 4-6 hours' sleep so I try not to get upset if that happens 2-3 nights/week.

Some people may have worse sleep problems than I do. I try to keep that in mind. But personally I wouldn't touch sleep medications with a ten foot pole. I did take one prescribed hydrocodone at bedtime the day of my tooth extraction, even though my pain was probably too minor to justify it. It was great and I slept like a baby, but I haven't repeated doing that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #77

Quote:
Not nightmares, but I experience vivid dreams when I drink beer. Not whiskey or wine, just beer. Go figure.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #78

^
If the vivid dreams are unsettling, you may want to consider cutting off the beer drinking at noon.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
^
If the vivid dreams are unsettling, you may want to consider cutting off the beer drinking at noon.

What do you call the first beer of the day? Breakfast!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:06 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
I have tried Melatonin before and it did absolutely nothing for me ... I guess everyone is different.
People must really vary in the effect. I have never had the bad dreams posted above. Melatonin has a very mild effect for me. Not zero, but often not enough either.