Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #21
What a hassle! Good luck in your continued efforts/research, papadad111.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Update: Given that this is a global nomads topic, I am researching and navigating to get health care coverage both inside USA and outside USA post mega-corp.

I have found some global policies. typically this requires at least 185 days per year outside USA so if you don't meet that level of abroad travel, it may not apply to you. Unclear how the residency stuff is tested but am sure they check it closely. One could always snowbird in Mexico or some other close location to be outside the USA for the required duration.

The policy I was eyeballing will cover me outside USA and also cover me Inside the USA for up to 180 days per year. You must specify this USA coverage feature and it is more expensive. Versus A fully non- USA policy.

Some still may want or need both an ACA and a non-USA policy which is another way to do this depending on your circumstance of how long you stay where. If you are just an occasional global traveler then a short term travel-trip policy may be better for you while abroad.

Back to this policy I am eyeballing - it has enough of a savings in my case versus an ACA bronze un-subsidized policy to keep investigating.

Note: I won't qualify for any ACA subsidy in year 1 and 2 of retirement due to deferred comp payouts pushing MAGI above threshhold.

Also being out of ACA compliance is not such a big deal right now as I understand it - the tax penalty is still relatively tiny.

To be fully ACA tax penalty waived I believe you have to be out of USA for a full 330 days. I won't meet that guideline but will be out for of USA most likely for at least 185 days per year.

So some findings in random order: living outside the USA and being able to get this policy seems to reduce health insurance cost significantly. This is because the policy is not under ACA mandates and so I can eliminate some unnecessary coverage. Eg. No need for maternity care. It also only covers me in USA - high cost medical care area - for up to half a year - assumption is majority of care happens in which ever( lower cost )country I reside.

Hypothetical example. No pre existing conditions - Mid 40s non smoker 2 adults and 2 teenage kids:

Deductible is 2500/year and premium is 450 per month.

Compared to a bronze ACA plan: $10000 deductible and $1100 per month premium.

And Megacorp cobra is at least 1400 per month.

On any given year that's $8000 of exposure versus nearly $24000 exposure so 1/3 the cost.

These policies are not super easy to get - they are written like old days of pre ACA. Application is online and then you send medical records in. They have Pre existing condition exclusions, etc. So not everyone is accepted ...or accepted with caveats.
So, ACA still has its place and rationale.

Will continue to investigate. Makes me realize just how expensive healthcare in USA has become ...

Health care is likely the number 1 budget line item on most early retiree budgets.

Following. I would be interested in knowing which plan this is. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:21 AM   #23
gone traveling
I recommend having a look at a web site that is a broker for insurance for global ( primarily non-USA based) nomads. Http://
No affiliation at all. Many choices.
Need to understand in USA how the insurance pre approval process works too. Not as simple as seeing any doc anywhere.

W2R- this global lifestyle is not for everyone- definitely trade offs required and there are pluses and minuses. Lots of work to get sorted with some insurance. I won't debate that lifestyle aspect here but will say that we are in mid-upper 40s and DW and I are about to FIRE and look forward to some more adventures abroad while still young enough to enjoy fully. Balanced with being near and available for aging parents.

We may evaluate after 1-3 years whether or not to launch an encore career too... Depends how the investment returns and retirement budget works out. Irrespective of that I am fearful of getting bored so some form of paid work or a small business venture is a likely activity for us.

Take care !!

papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote