Join Early Retirement Today

Intelligence vs Social Interaction
Old 08-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Intelligence vs Social Interaction

This study suggests that higher IQ people may be happier with less social interaction. I wonder how that correlates with all the INTJ types on our forum?

Study Shows People With High IQs Are Actually Happier With Less Social Interaction

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
This study suggests that higher IQ people may be happier with less social interaction. I wonder how that correlates with all the INTJ types on our forum?

Study Shows People With High IQs Are Actually Happier With Less Social Interaction
I'm lower on the IQ scale and much happier with limited social interaction. My Dad is even further down the IQ scale and likes even less social interaction so the study doesn't hit home with my experience.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I'm lower on the IQ scale and much happier with limited social interaction. My Dad is even further down the IQ scale and likes even less social interaction so the study doesn't hit home with my experience.
Last line of the article is true:
"Happiness looks different for all of us."
Old 08-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #4

All 15,000 folks surveyed were in the 15-28 year age group and for me I was much more in need of social interaction when I was in that age group than I am now.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about social interaction. I enjoy getting together with people on occasion. And I know I'm smart, because Are Smart People Lazy? New Study Links High IQ To Sedentary Lifestyle
Old 08-13-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Are people who attend parties actually less intelligent, or do they just act that way when at a party? Well, either way, the result is the same.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

The study didn't account for the IQ of the friends of the high IQ person.

I theorize they would have found high IQ folks like hanging out with their high IQ friends as it's less tiring since you don't have to explain string theory again!

After all, who wants to hang out with a bunch of dummies (other than a crash tester)
Old 08-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hogwash
Old 08-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't know about social interaction. I enjoy getting together with people on occasion. And I know I'm smart, because Are Smart People Lazy? New Study Links High IQ To Sedentary Lifestyle
LOL. i have never checked my IQ, but based on this, I must be a genius along the lines of Sheldon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (5.4 KB, 261 views)
Old 08-13-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
All 15,000 folks surveyed were in the 15-28 year age group and for me I was much more in need of social interaction when I was in that age group than I am now.
Me too, perhaps we have to age into our INTJ personalities.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
i don't know about social interaction. I enjoy getting together with people on occasion. And i know i'm smart, because are smart people lazy? New study links high iq to sedentary lifestyle

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1471271495.468173.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #12
Administrator

I like spending a few hours with Frank every day, and we do have lunch together and go to the gym together, but otherwise I don't make any efforts to go to parties or luncheons or clubs or meetings or get-togethers - - I prefer my "alone time" to this type of social interaction.

The only people who have seen the inside of my Dream House have been Frank (every day), my DD and SIL when they were visiting in July, and my handyman on rare occasion. Fine with me.

My life is exactly what I want it to be. Guess that is the INTJ in me.

I think the reason that high IQ people (like many ER Forum participants) are happier with less social interaction, is that we are thinking about different things pretty much all the time, and don't need much interaction with others to keep from getting bored. We can always re-think our SWR and AA, for example.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I think the reason that high IQ people (like many ER Forum participants) are happier with less social interaction, is that we are thinking about different things pretty much all the time, and don't need much interaction with others to keep from getting bored. We can always re-think our SWR and AA, for example.
Sums it up pretty well!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We can always re-think our SWR and AA, for example.
+1 on that!
Old 08-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It also, (from my own limited experience), coincides with a major time frame for acquiring 'partners', (temporary or otherwise).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #16

so only dumb people sit around in the 19th hole for hours after golf pounding beer?

I must know a lot of dumb people
Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

Well...crap!

When I used the link to the story on "More Intelligent People Prefer Less Social Interaction", I got a pop-up ad for 'Facebook.'

Then, when I used the link to the story on "More Intelligent People Are More Sedentary", I got a pop-up ad for 'working out.'

I'm not sure I like what my computer is telling me.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Are people who attend parties actually less intelligent, or do they just act that way when at a party? Well, either way, the result is the same.
LOL
Old 08-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
so only dumb people sit around in the 19th hole for hours after golf pounding beer?

Most of us do.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post

Nah, thats just wanting to get together to talk and exaggerate about some of the days shots