Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Why? I'm just the opposite. I'm amazed that so many senior members can patiently confront the same questions over and over and over. A very high percentage of the questions have been discussed at length, and the answers don't change much. The opposing POVs play out again and again too, can be (very) tiresome. Fortunately most folks recognize there will always be newbies coming aboard, and trying to help them can be rewarding. I'm surprised there aren't more stickies on common topics, though thankfully some are in FAQs.

And I can think of several women who post much less nowadays, won't name them. And I can think of several we've lost, I won't name them either except for Martha because she was such an incredibly good resource, I learned a lot from her. Maybe some men are just more "conspicuous' with their exits...
Re your first question, Why?, I don't doubt people get bored and get less active, but why the stage door exit? There may always be things even an old member wants to ask about, or just people he wants to keep in touch with. Why make it embarrassing to return for a bit or longer?

And women, yes many have left, but usually without much in the way of drama. I guess men are actually the drama queens, not women.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #42
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Oh don't say Rats. Reasonable women know that past a certain age, men and their hair sometimes, shall we say, part ways, and it's still the same man except now he needs to wear a hat when it's cold
That's nice to know.
__________________

__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
I probably qualify as forum addicted. I get a bit antsy if I am not able to check in regularly.

My main forum is the Simple Living Forum, now hosted by New Road Map Foundation. I am a moderator there so I need to check in at least once a day. I've been a member there since 1997 or 1998 -- joined right after I read YMOYL for the first time.

I mostly lurk here and at the MMM forums, though I do post from time to time.

I lurk at the Urban Baby forums -- I started reading them when I was expecting our first child (we were living in NYC at the time) and have maintained a kind of sick fascination with the lifestyle/obsession of the very wealthy NYC moms who dominate that board even though we left NY over 10 years ago. I don't think I ever would have become like them (not enough income), but an interesting glimpse into another lifestyle.

Back in web 1.0 days I participated in the frugal living forums at ivillage.com, the Armchair Millionaire forums (had my first moderator position there -- they even sent me a tshirt! That one died in the 1999 crash), and at motley fool. I quit the latter when they started charging for membership.

I probably should check out bogleheads, but though I like financial stuff I tend to like the bigger picture/philosophical discussions more than nitty gritty talk about investment strategies.

Oh, I also signed up on the forums at Get Rich Slowly, but those never seemed to have much momentum so I don't go there often.

I also have naturally curly hair but I keep it short and in a wash, muss, and go style so I don't really need forum support for that.

lhamo
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
...(snip)...
I lurk at the Urban Baby forums -- I started reading them when I was expecting our first child (we were living in NYC at the time) and have maintained a kind of sick fascination with the lifestyle/obsession of the very wealthy NYC moms who dominate that board even though we left NY over 10 years ago. I don't think I ever would have become like them (not enough income), but an interesting glimpse into another lifestyle.
Wealthy NYC moms, sounds very different. Being on the west coast I wonder about those easterners. Are they all like Mad Men characters?
...
Quote:
I probably should check out bogleheads, but though I like financial stuff I tend to like the bigger picture/philosophical discussions more than nitty gritty talk about investment strategies.
You may get a lot of grit in the wrong places. Plenty of ego on that site though there are interesting discussions and I've learned a lot over time there.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,043
I visit a number of forums on a regular basis - MMM, ERE, Bogleheads, Morningstar, etc... - but this is the only forum where I am truly active. Even here though, there are times when I don't feel like posting much. I once enjoyed discussing serious topics, but now I prefer the lighter side of ER.org.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,406
I still have lots of hair on my head, but who would mind if baldness means this



or this?

__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Wealthy NYC moms, sounds very different. Being on the west coast I wonder about those easterners. Are they all like Mad Men characters?
Different, indeed - a common thread theme is how impossible it is to live in NYC on a 500k/1 million/64 quadrillion income. Lots of discussions on whether or not to buy a second house in the Hamptons. Also how to bring the food down from $1000-2000/month. And an ENDLESS obsession with how to get your kids into "top tier" pre-schools/private schools, with the ultimate goal of them getting into HYPS (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford). There are also a few "are you kidding" responders who pipe up regularly -- people living on 100k or less, sometimes much less. No usernames so it is all anonymous and no way to track who is who. Lots of fake posts and spoof posts. It is a bit schizophrenic going back and forth from that site to SLF/this forum/MMM but definitely confirms for me where my "tribe" resides. It isn't on the Upper East Side (though ironically that is the English name of the apartment complex I live in in beijing....)
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post
<>going back and forth from that site to SLF/this forum/MMM but definitely confirms for me where my "tribe" resides. It isn't on the Upper East Side
But don't you wish the Upper East Side were your natural habitat? A seriously posh place.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But don't you wish the Upper East Side were your natural habitat? A seriously posh place.

Ha
Actually I'm much more of a Beacon Hill girl -- Seattle, not Boston.
__________________
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamo View Post

Different, indeed - a common thread theme is how impossible it is to live in NYC on a 500k/1 million/64 quadrillion income. Lots of discussions on whether or not to buy a second house in the Hamptons. Also how to bring the food down from $1000-2000/month. And an ENDLESS obsession with how to get your kids into "top tier" pre-schools/private schools, with the ultimate goal of them getting into HYPS (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford). There are also a few "are you kidding" responders who pipe up regularly -- people living on 100k or less, sometimes much less. No usernames so it is all anonymous and no way to track who is who. Lots of fake posts and spoof posts. It is a bit schizophrenic going back and forth from that site to SLF/this forum/MMM but definitely confirms for me where my "tribe" resides. It isn't on the Upper East Side (though ironically that is the English name of the apartment complex I live in in beijing....)
A couple of years ago, the editor of Parenting Magazine called me in West TX to interview me about a literacy program. She was very nice, but must have been like these moms. She lived in NYC, and had looked up our image on Google. She asked about all the cars in the parking lot and who drove them. I told her everyone drives in TX. She said she and none of her friends knew how to drive.

We also talked about the sizes of our homes and what they cost. She couldn't believe we can have nice 2500 sq ft homes for $140,000. Her home was much smaller. We talked about a lot of differences and I came away thinking that even though she obviously earned way more money, her life seemed more restricted in many ways.

We ended the conversation with her saying wistfully "if I ever learn to drive, I would love to drive across the country and see how everyone else lives. It sounds wonderful and much more peaceful."
__________________

__________________
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.