Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefixac View Post
Perhaps the tide is turning somewhat.

If this was posted 6 months or over a year ago, there would be no one here discussing a plant based diet and everyone would be talking about eating a high protein/low carb diet (IOW lots of meat, fat and few carbohydrates).
I am glad you have found a way of eating that works for you.

But....

The above description is a misrepresentation of the low-carb diet. It is Low Carb and High Fat, not high protein. This way of eating includes many veggies though not the starchy ones like peas and corn. Everyday, I eat the equivalent of a big bowl of veggies - brussel sprouts, cauliflower, spinach, artichokes, broccoli, kale, avocados, etc. Also, I eat a serving or two of fruit almost every day. Yummy!

Snacks are things like nuts and the previously mentioned fruit.

There is no reason a person cannot eat poultry and fish in place of red meat if that works.

High Fat simply means avoiding artificially made low-fat foods. Usually, the fat is replaced by highly refined carbs, sugar and various chemicals to replace the flavor and good texture caused by fat. A good example is eating real butter instead of a 'spread'. Or eating real nuts versus low-fat crackers or cookies. Or eating the somewhat fattier dark meat along with white meat. In other words, we eat the same foods we did back in the 50's and 60's before fat became the bogey man in our diet.

FWIW, I estimate that probably 50% of my calories previously provided by highly processed carbs and sugar have been replaced by plant based foods, mostly veggies and some nuts. About 30% have been replaced by animal products like eggs and cheese. Meat consumption has probably remained about the same. What happened to the other 20% of calories? Well, since this diet satiates me for many hours, I eat less total calories. It works for me. YMMV.

The real trick, IMHO, is to eat real food. And to understand that different ways of eating work for different people. There is no one size fits all.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I totally agree with the eat whole food plan and with the idea that we need healthy fats for satiety. You are definitely right that when fat is removed in products it is usually replaced with carbohydrates and salt to increase flavor. Michael Pollen in his book "In Defense of Food" suggests not eating anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food and steering clear of foods with chemical ingredients you don't recognize or foods with more than five ingredients.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Two yrs ago I was down 13 lbs, walked 3 miles/two days and did the gym (el cheapo senior rate) three times a week including 30 minutes on thread mill plus resistance machines. Diet was weight watchers micro meals a true bachelor repast.

Then a year of of dating and a year of marriage - 'farm girl'/widow'. We have reached consensus but not action(mostly on my part) yet. She has gotten back to walking but not renewed gym and high veggie, low meat experimenting. I still suffer from cheeseburger lust but I'm trying to convert mental thoughts into action. BUT NOT micromeals this Time!

heh heh heh -

P.S. old waist 33, married waist 36
Old 12-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
I totally agree with the eat whole food plan and with the idea that we need healthy fats for satiety. You are definitely right that when fat is removed in products it is usually replaced with carbohydrates and salt to increase flavor. Michael Pollen in his book "In Defense of Food" suggests not eating anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food and steering clear of foods with chemical ingredients you don't recognize or foods with more than five ingredients.
+1
In fact I'm the guy that you'll find standing in the aisle of the grocery store, actually reading the ingredient list on products, as well as the nutrition info labels. And I'm the same guy that usually ends up putting that box or can of toxic chemical waste back on the shelf, and walking back to the fresh produce section to grab more good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
....I still suffer from cheeseburger lust but I'm trying to convert mental thoughts into action.......
Me too! Every once in a great while, I'll cave in and have a real, genuine, ground dead cow & cheese, Cheeseburger. But more often than not, when I get that craving, I nuke a spicy veggie burger, cut it into a couple of pieces, toss on a slice of cheese (the real dairy stuff) or some grated asiago cheese, and wrap it up in a whole grain wrap along with a squeeze of mustard and maybe some sliced jalapeņos. That usually does the trick! In fact, I'm thinking that's what I'll have for lunch today.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
We have reached consensus but not action(mostly on my part) yet. She has gotten back to walking but not renewed gym
FWIW, my DW was a couch potato for a couple of decades, until just a couple of years ago.
What caused her to "get religion" (as I like to put it) was a combination of things, but she says the biggest single trigger was a website called "Couch to 5K" (Couch to 5k - C25K Running Program).
Now she's cranking out a half-marathon (walking, not running) nearly every month. Amazing transformation, all to the good!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't do anything about bad genes, but healthy lifestyle can certainly pay dividends. I'm a big believer in lifestyle of sensible regular exercise and a sensible diet. IMHO- This means modest portions, more nuts/veggies/fish/poultry, and avoiding the really bad stuff (like fried foods, red meats, big carbs). Although I will admit to the odd burger and bit of chocolate cake from time to time. After all, part of living longer is LIVING
Old 12-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
I am having good results eating paleo. I feel much better when I eat meat. I think I need the protein and nutrients that come from eating organic meat.
+1. There is nothing unhealthy about eating red meat, especially good quality grass-fed beef, lamb, etc.. I avoid processed lunchmeat and that kind of stuff. I also eat plenty of eggs, lots of butter and other healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil), in addition to lots of veggies. My blood test markers have all been great in recent years, and my weight is a bit on the low side, if anything. The biggest thing for me is to stick with real, whole food and avoid most highly processed (junk) food. If it comes in a box and has more than 3 ingredients listed on the side panel, I generally don't eat it.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here in KC we experiment with Buffalo - leaner and cooks at a lower temperature than beef.

Blew it and overcooked a Bison brisket the other day - ended up thin slicing and dicing into a chili.

heh heh heh -
Old 12-25-2014, 10:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I have been reducing the "whites" (bread, potatoes, and pasta) in my diet for over a year now. I still indulge in homemade pizza and chocolate in any form.
I drink no soda except a very occasional ginger ale or root beer. I drink only light beer. I use stevia powder in my coffee with 2% milk.
I grow my own veggies, so I eat a lot of those raw as snacks during the summer. The rest are frozen and consumed during winter.

The biggest change is I eat many small snack size meals instead of full meals.
I use the 20 minute rule for wanting to eat...wait 20 minutes and see if I still have the hungries.

I am almost 10 lbs lighter and feel very good. I do get occasional carb cravings and will treat myself to some fresh Italian bread made locally. If I want a sandwich, I just skip the bread and lay out the ingredients on a plate. I use the cheese as a rollup for the rest of the fixings, or just combine the ingredients on a fork. When my homegrown lettuce is ready, I make very unusual salads using bits and pieces of meat, eggs, Feta cheese, mushrooms, veggies, olives. I strive for dietary balance.

I do consume regular dairy for the calcium. I dislike fake or low fat dairy products and keep portions in moderation. I have no cholesterol problems.

I incorporate a lot of olive oil into my cooking, using it as a marinade base with spices.

I try to exercise regularly. The one thing I do stick with is dancing with barbells in my hands, in the living room. It may not be a long session each time, but I do that frequently enough to help me keep my overall tone intact. It's fun to dance, so that means it happens.