Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenER View Post
When people ask us what we can eat we always say "anything we want". It is our choice to eat healthy whole foods so I don't feel deprived. If I really want something I'll at least taste it. I do better if I don't set absolute limits but rather try to make good choices on a regular basis. I found that at least for us once we removed dairy and meat and refined carbs from the menu that most of our remaining options, even when eating out, were fairly healthy. Eating seafood and eggs still gives us more options when out and about. I am a damn good cook too if I do say so myself!
+1
People ask me what diet I'm on, and a tell them I'm not on a diet, I just eat healthier. I can still eat anything that I want, but I limit the amount of unhealthy and less-than-healthy choices to a minimum. I still occasionally eat whole eggs, but prefer egg whites or egg beaters in most cases. Also have cut out a majority of saturated fats, but still eat plenty of mono-unsaturated and poly-unsaturated fats....nuts, olives & olive oil, avocados, and fish, among other things.

Eating at restaurants is getting easier all the time, because they are becoming more aware that many of their patrons prefer healthy choices. For breakfast I love oatmeal, and dress it up with fruit (dried of fresh), nuts, ground flaxseed, chia seed, cinnamon, and even a dash if cayenne pepper. Or I go for veggie omelets or skillets, especially Mediterranean or Greek omelets or skillets, made with egg beaters, and a side of dry whole-grain bread. For lunch or dinner, I love broiled or grilled fish, chicken, or just veggies, or else a big mixed-green salad with lots of veggies chopped up in it, or even a nice veggie wrap of some sort.

As for pre-packaged foods, the less ingredients the better, and if I can't pronounce the ingredients, I'll just pass it by. And my red flag goes up for products with trans-fats, high sodium content, or a list of chemical additives that would sound more at home in a university chemistry lab. Since I love to cook and experiment with new recipes, it's extremely easy for me to take a pass on pre-packaged stuff. My grocery basket is usually about 2/3 full of fresh produce, dried fruit, herbs, nuts, seeds, grains, and legumes.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, that's the truth! I'm really happy with the shape my body is in other than needing toning in my upper arms, but I know darn well that flimsy fabrics, anything too tight, short skirts and spaghetti straps would look out of place on a 61-year old. Yesterday I wore a pair of skinny leggings with a flowing top that went halfway down my thighs so I didn't feel naked but could still show off my legs. I find Chico's to be a good source of pretty clothing for my age group and although their sticker prices are high, I can usually find things I like on the sale racks.
I agree with Chico's . I also shop JJill & Talbot's . I used to think JJill was too young for me but most of their reviews are by women 55 to 65 or 65 +.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Congrats to everyone. I do believe that having a healthy lifestyle is one of your best investments.
I do have a question as to how you got started in this. Are there any web sites or books that guide you to what you can eat and what you cannot eat? This time of year, especially, it is tough to eat healthy.

"Eat to Live" or "The End of Dieting" are 2 books by Joel Fuhrman MD who I think gives the most scientifically proven explanations about what a plant-based diet can do for you. I've been doing this for 2.5 years. Lost 34 lbs. I'm 63 and on no medications. And I really don't (have time to) exercise because I'm still w*rking.

It's simple really - no oil, salt or sugar. No processed foods. Eat (if hungry enough) 1 lb of raw vegetables and 1 lb of cooked vegetables a day. But you can have less, or more.

Daily, the GBOMBS - greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, nuts/seeds.

Portions: 1 oz nuts/seeds a day, 2 oz if you are very active, 1 c of whole grains (if trying to lose weight eat only 1/2 c), 1 c beans daily, 2 cooked mushrooms daily, 3-4 fruits (not servings, but fruit itself or berries). You can have a date for a sweet taste. Vegetables unless sweet potatoes or avocado are unlimited.

Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
iac1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About 14 years ago DW was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and began a very disciplined effort to improve her diet and exercise more. She never took medicine as she tries to avoid taking things. She dropped 70 pounds and has maintained it. Her doctor told she has reversed her type 2 diabetes, and that is motivation enough for her to keep the up discipline.

I have always been athletic and exercise, but a couple of years ago my weight had inched up and when I noticed I was hitting 200 lbs (I'm 5' 10") I said enough is enough. Whereas I still feed my sweet tooth occasionally I cut way down on sweets, eliminated sodas/fruit drinks (except for a can of zero calorie soda every few days), cakes, and cookies, and started drinking lots of water and snacking much more on fruits and salads. With those changes and keeping up my exercise I've managed to maintain my weight in the 175-180 lb range. The improvements I noticed with that "small" amount of weight loss are enough to keep me motivated.

One of the joys we have is spending time together keeping active, whether going to the gym or biking or just going for a walk. It is definitely part of our "transition to retirement lifestyle" activities.

And regarding 55+ year old women with good figures... I'll just say that I enjoy seeing my wife dress so that I can see her figure, and she enjoys "pleasing my eyes". She doesn't go overboard, but doesn't care if folks thinks she dresses too young. She is also blessed with good genes - the women in her family do not wrinkle and get very little gray hair, and at 57 she is often mistaken for being 15-20 years younger. That is more motivation for me to stay in shape.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am having good results eating paleo. I feel much better when I eat meat. I think I need the protein and nutrients that come from eating organic meat.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

You sound just like Mr. A. in your attitude, and your DW sounds like quite a lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post

And regarding 55+ year old women with good figures... I'll just say that I enjoy seeing my wife dress so that I can see her figure, and she enjoys "pleasing my eyes"..
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorgirl02 View Post
I am having good results eating paleo. I feel much better when I eat meat. I think I need the protein and nutrients that come from eating organic meat.
+1

Just veggies, fruits and grains do not work well for me. Some meat, with it's natural fat, seems to help a lot to satiate me.

I am going to try and reduce my dairy consumption in 2015. I think I over compensate for the highly processed foods I no longer eat with too much dairy. I could probably cut my dairy products in half and still consume enough to put cream in my coffee, cheese in my omelet, and have a bite of good cheese as a treat.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iac1003 View Post
"Eat to Live" or "The End of Dieting" are 2 books by Joel Fuhrman MD who I think gives the most scientifically proven explanations about what a plant-based diet can do for you. I've been doing this for 2.5 years. Lost 34 lbs. I'm 63 and on no medications. And I really don't (have time to) exercise because I'm still w*rking.

It's simple really - no oil, salt or sugar. No processed foods. Eat (if hungry enough) 1 lb of raw vegetables and 1 lb of cooked vegetables a day. But you can have less, or more.

Daily, the GBOMBS - greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, nuts/seeds.

Portions: 1 oz nuts/seeds a day, 2 oz if you are very active, 1 c of whole grains (if trying to lose weight eat only 1/2 c), 1 c beans daily, 2 cooked mushrooms daily, 3-4 fruits (not servings, but fruit itself or berries). You can have a date for a sweet taste. Vegetables unless sweet potatoes or avocado are unlimited.

Rinse and repeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Thanks for the recommendations!
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That also goes for men. Most shirts that fit my height and arm length have a big gob of material tucked in at my waist. I can find some 'slim' shirts but there are less colors styles, etc.

The funny thing is I am not skinny. I am just height-weight proportional in the normal range. My BMI is pretty much centered at normal.
+1

I must be disproportionately tall from waist to neck (); since when I wear a regular shirt tucked in, and raise my arms, it comes out and is a nuisance to always tuck in. And tall shirts have too much material at the waist because I am a 24 BMI, and most Americans aren't. Hence my personal splurge: Custom made shirts for button down long sleeve shirts. No monogramming, only I know, and it did cost more, but I have about 12 and they fit perfectly ! It has been worth it to wear a perfectly fitting shirt when I need to wear a long sleeve button down (traditional).

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #30

Glad to see this thread. This is something I've recently taken very seriously.

I used to eat red meat almost every night. Smoked for over 30 years. Drank 2+ liters of Coke every day. Ate tons of cheese and processed sugary snacks (candy) and seldom any vegetables.

Yet my BP/Cholesterol was fine and I was in pretty good "looking" physical shape. But I knew that wouldn't last forever.

First thing I did was stop smoking. Cold turkey almost 5 years ago. Then I stopped eating so much red meat and substituted chicken breasts and salmon. I cut way down on breads and baked goods. I stopped drinking soda and sweet tea and drink water instead. I still have two cups of coffee every morning but I no longer add sugar or flavored creamer. And I eat more dark green vegetables in a week than I had over the last 40 years.

I don't know if I'm in any better shape, I've actually gained a few pounds but that is more a result of increased muscle mass from weightlifting 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week. I don't have frequent headaches anymore but they were due primarily to work-related stress which is completely gone now.

Beginning next month I want to increase cardio activity (much, much longer bike rides after each morning's workout) and break up my one-meal-a-day habit from since I was a kid into actual breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

But yeah, living healthy is definitely an investment.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Giving up dairy, in particular cream in my coffee, was the hardest part of our dietary change for me to get used too. The other day I actually put some cream in for the first time in two years just to see how it tasted to me. I didn't care for it and dumped out the coffee after drinking only a third of it. Tastes do change over time. Cheese is too greasy for me now and I mainly taste blood when I sample meat. Camping is easier now that we don't need to keep cream on hand! I was a vegetarian early on in my life so in some ways this is a coming home for me. I find I am a more engaged and a better cook now than when I cooked with meat and dairy. I love Pintrist for seeking out good plant based recipes!
GreenER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #32
Administrator

We started healthy eating about 12 years ago. No particular diet or ban on certain foods, just much smaller portion sizes and a lot more fruit and veg.

Back in 2002 I shed 40lbs and I'm determined not to put it back on. The longer you keep to a healthy diet the easier it becomes.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #33

Perhaps the tide is turning somewhat.

If this was posted 6 months or over a year ago, there would be no one here discussing a plant based diet and everyone would be talking about eating a high protein/low carb diet (IOW lots of meat, fat and few carbohydrates).

Just yesterday I found this guy named Rich Roll and he's evidently very popular on the iTunes podcasts. He's a WFBP (whole food, plant based) advocate and I've just listened to his podcasts with Dr Michael Klaper and Chef AJ. Both were excellent.

If anyone is interested in finding out about a WFPB diet, check out doctors John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn, T Colin Campbell, Neal Barnard, Dean Ornish and Michael Klaper.

Dr Esselstyn did a study where his patients were basically given up to die by their cardiologists (back in the 80s) and many are still alive today. A total WFPB diet is the only proven method to actually reverse heart disease. Dr Esselstyn's famous saying is
"Heart disease is a toothless paper tiger that need never exist. And if it does exist, it need never progress". Pretty bold statement, but I 100% believe what he says.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I am trying to be healthier in eating, but while I've made little improvements, I find it hard.
My taste buds seem to really enjoy stuff like pizza, I have not had one in 4 months, but I keep looking at Papa Johns

I don't really like eating pork, as I have heard so much about them being sentient and it bothers me. I'm ok with chickens as I guess I feel they are less like us.

I just read an article about animals and how in many ways their brains are similar to ours, and that certain animals like elephants do have families, grieve over dead family, etc. The traits that we humans have for so long considered only humans could have.

As I read it, I wondered what would happen to the food industry if people considered animals being slaughtered felt fear/terror.

We eat tofu sometimes, chicken most times and sometimes fish or shrimp.
Occasionally we eat red meat probably once every 2 weeks, it helps that DW is very picky about the chewiness of meat so that eliminates most red meat.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
There is one disadvantage to a healthy lifestyle, for a woman. There aren't reasonably priced clothes designed for women over 55 with good figures.

Regular retail styles meant for older women are dowdy, fussy, roomy, shapeless, and excessively flowery or pastel in color. Yet, one doesn't want to open oneself to charges of "she dresses like she thinks she's still young." One sees such women portrayed as jokes on the Internet.

Amethyst
INTJ, lefthanded and male - or go out of your way to dress like 'screw you I'm ER'.

heh heh heh - Thrift shops, Internet and war surplus. Apologies to that song guy 'Screw You We're From Texas'.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We initially made our dietary changes due to DH's medical issues but for me it is also more compatible with my environmental concerns and commitments. I feel good about eating well while having a smaller footprint. It is unfortunate that more of the world's population is trending toward a higher meat intake at a time that the planet is already stressed in so many ways. I have heard that around 50% of global greenhouse gasses result from animal agriculture. I am also very leery of modern day factory farms. We ate organic meat when we were still eating meat but I wasn't really totally confident in the whole food chain. The more I've learned now about the conditions and cruelty involved in factory farms the more put off I am by that as well. And I do believe that animals suffer.
GreenER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You sound just like Mr. A. in your attitude, and your DW sounds like quite a lady
I resemble that remark!

The only types of people DW has gotten flak from for "dressing to young" are (a) those who are way out of shape (like one of her sisters) and (b) those whose husbands have make remarks to them along the lines of "why can't you look like DW?"- which I find tremendously sad that a husband would be that crass.

The compliments she gets (particularly from women of all ages) far outweighs the flak.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:02 AM   #38

Quote:
The more I've learned now about the conditions and cruelty involved in factory farms the more put off I am by that as well. And I do believe that animals suffer.
Even though I had been vegetarian/pescetarian since the 70s, I didn't know about the cruelty involved in industrialized farming until I switched to a vegan diet. It is almost impossible to read up on veganism without learning about farm practices. How those animals are treated is absolutely heartbreaking.

Quote:
It is unfortunate that more of the world's population is trending toward a higher meat intake at a time that the planet is already stressed in so many ways. I have heard that around 50% of global greenhouse gasses result from animal agriculture.
I so agree. The Standard American Diet is catching on around the globe. More and more forest land is being destroyed to create land suitable for raising animals. So while greenhouse gas is increasing the oxygen producing forests are being destroyed.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Texas, hmph! My relatives sing "Screw you, we're from New Jersey!" and you can't top that attitude with whipped cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
INTJ, lefthanded and male - or go out of your way to dress like 'screw you I'm ER'.

heh heh heh - Thrift shops, Internet and war surplus. Apologies to that song guy 'Screw You We're From Texas'.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I am starting to think that "Defiance" [as opposed to "denial"] may just be a healthy ER trait!

Amethyst