Is it time to change doctors?

ARB57

Dryer sheet aficionado
Is it just me, or is time to search for a new cardiologist? Here's the deal:
Discovered a 90+% blockage last summer and had an angioplasty/stent put in. The good news: multiple nuclear stress tests since reveal an adequate blood flow. The bad news: I continue to have chest/arm discomfort and my blood work has deteriorated since the process began. Total cholesterol is 80, HDL is very low, low white count, low platelets etc.

Last appointment, the Doc says, I'll see you in 30 days BUT CALL US IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS. A week later, with continuing chest pain, I called and spoke with the nurse. She said she'd call back. No call for 2 days. I called again. Still no call back. I called the next day and FINALLY got a return call.

Am I expecting too much to think that I should get a response in less than 3 days?

Do you have a primary care doctor you could talk to about this? Both the care and the responsiveness.

Am I expecting too much to think that I should get a response in less than 3 days?

Absolutely not! Particularly after he/she (the doctor) told you to call if things went awry.

I agree with Martha; lean heavily on your PCP... including insisting on a new referral.

I'll see you in 30 days BUT CALL US IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS. A week later, with continuing chest pain, I called and spoke with the nurse. She said she'd call back. No call for 2 days. I called again. Still no call back. I called the next day and FINALLY got a return call.

You are definitely not expecting too much . If you call with chest pain someone should get back to you as soon as possible .

It's hard to sort through who's right or wrong without knowing all the facts from both sides, but what's most important is your health and safety.

If you have lost confidence in this physician (a likely assumption), then switch. Your energy would be better spent on getting another opinion. There's little satisfaction in an epitaph that says "See, I told you I was right."

Back
Top Bottom