Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/arti...muscle-cramps/

This article suggests that muscle cramps are caused by misfiring nerves, in which electrolytes such as pickle juice and/or mustard relieve the cramps, but for the wrong perceived reason.
Interesting article. I have a cow#rker who recently shared that she has frequent, painful leg cramps. She swears by the "mustard" cure. She now proselytizes to anyone who will listen.

She keeps fast food packets of mustard in her purse, in her desk drawer, and at home (at all times) and she says it provides almost instant relief.

Too bad I can't stand the taste of mustard or pickles - both make me sick. On the bright side, I don't often have leg cramps.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 10:36 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
This article suggests that muscle cramps are caused by misfiring nerves, in which electrolytes such as pickle juice and/or mustard relieve the cramps, but for the wrong perceived reason.
Interesting article, thanks.

Of course the cause is "misfiring nerves." If I didn't ask a calf muscle to contract, and it's doing so anyway, then clearly the problem is with neurotransmission (if that's a word.)

Hence the short-term "fix" of overwhelming other nerves with strong tastes, and the longer-term fix of restoring electrolyte balance, both work.

Makes a lot of sense.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

A potassium-magnesium combo pretty much prevents them. If one still occurs from not being diligent with the supplement I will use a pressure wrap and very tight socks to force the spasming muscle back into place. Sometimes the sock is enough to prevent a cramp. Placing a solid pillow between your calves is another preventative.

Also, every morning when waking make sure you stretch with your foot pointing upward not downward.
EveryLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't tell from the OP ASCII art, but just laying in bed, putting my leg out straight and bringing my toes up towards me almost immediate relieves the cramp.

My reaction is to do the opposite, to relax the cramp, but that makes it worse. Doing the above is like pulling it out, and it works for me, every time, immediately.

Repeated in post #19 and #14, maybe others)

BTW, there are far more potent sources of potassium than bananas, if those really have any effect. I used to eat a banana a day, when I stopped (decided that was a lot of sugar), my blood test showed no change.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

There's a big charity bike ride coming up. They supply pickle juice at aid stations and crews.

Many major league teams (name your sport) have mustard packets available by the trainers for cramps.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I guess I'm not the only one who gets these. Standing has been the only solution that's worked for me.

I'll give your method a try next time.

I've also heard bananas (potassium) help. I think there's something to it; I do seem to get a lot fewer of these cramps if I have one with breakfast every day. Unfortunately bananas are bad luck and not allowed on a boat, so when I'm underway for any length of time I tend to get more cramps.

EDIT: Ken beat me to it on the banana thing. I'm not on any meds.
There's not enough potassium in bananas to make a difference. You'd have to eat a lot of them. They're not like oranges where one orange supplies about 100% of your daily needs. A banana supplies about 10%. So if you're deficient enough in potassium to be getting cramps, 10% isn't likely going to matter
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:14 AM   #27

I don't get calf cramps very often but I do get shin cramps and cramps in my feet. Heat makes them go away. I use one of those microwavable wraps.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Magnesium citrate

cheap, and works well

Have not had leg cramps in years

Used to get them often, sometimes quite bad ones

bananas or other potassium sources were recommended, but never helped me
This is my experience exactly. However, I found Magnesium to be a very effective laxative for me (the main ingredient in Milk of Magnesia or ExLax) if taken orally. I found that magnesium is easily absorbed through the skin so now I periodically mix magnesium flakes (dissolved) and hand lotion and slather it all over my arms. (I seem to remember reading that potassium should be kept in balance with magnesium although I have never followed up on it.)

One other thing, FWIW, many years ago while watching a football game, I saw a player go down with a leg cramp. The medical guy came onto the field and grabbed the player's upper lip. What! So the next time I was awakened with a "Charlie horse," I squeezed my upper lip between my thumb and bent pointer finger (the knuckle). The pain stopped instantly. I don't know how or why it works but it does. I duplicated it many times before I discovered magnesium.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
One other thing, FWIW, many years ago while watching a football game, I saw a player go down with a leg cramp. The medical guy came onto the field and grabbed the player's upper lip. What! So the next time I was awakened with a "Charlie horse," I squeezed my upper lip between my thumb and bent pointer finger (the knuckle). The pain stopped instantly. I don't know how or why it works but it does. I duplicated it many times before I discovered magnesium.
Might be the same as the pickle juice or mustard "cure" where you're stimulating a different set of nerves which causes the misfiring ones (causing the leg cramp) to relax.

(Just before I read your post, I was wondering if hitting one's finger with a hammer (a bit extreme, but I was looking for a large nerve effect) would do the same trick? Squeezing the upper lip is easier and less painful.)

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Might be the same as the pickle juice or mustard "cure" where you're stimulating a different set of nerves which causes the misfiring ones (causing the leg cramp) to relax.

(Just before I read your post, I was wondering if hitting one's finger with a hammer (a bit extreme, but I was looking for a large nerve effect) would do the same trick? Squeezing the upper lip is easier and less painful.)

omni
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #31

Try 4 oz of Canada Dry Tonic water with quinine. Something about the quinine works wonders for me. I used to cramp during night time after a day of exertion. Now 4 oz of this before bed and no cramps. Can see others talking about it on internet so apparently it works for at least some of us. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:33 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

When DH gets these, he takes one of my calcium tablet (600 mg) and it helps right away. I never get the calf cramp so maybe the calcium works for both of us. YMMV
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post

omni
Isn't this the basic premise of acupuncture?

Sounds like there is something to it.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up (like when you're tucked in tightly and need a fast remedy)..
I used to get leg cramps at night something terrible when I was a kid. Had one two nights in a row a month ago. This time I tried something different... no massaging, etc., but the opposite. Stretch the offending muscle out length-wise, against its strong contraction, via the Achilles tendon. Worked great! Which is what your method does.

For me, I found instant relief by hobbling over to a countertop, put both hands on countertop edge, then move feet backwards inch by inch, keeping feet flat on floor, so body is tilting forward from vertical. Can feel that offending muscle get pulled back out to proper position!

Wish I knew the solution was that simple 60 years or so ago!
Old 09-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #35

This is turning out to be one of the most interesting and helpful threads yet, thanks everyone!!

Last night I stretched my legs repeatedly, in a way which would often induce cramps in the past. This time, I kept my toes pointed "up" (toward me.) No cramps. Standing up, leaning forward a little, has always relieved the cramp once I got it, similar to Telly's experience, above. So that whole "point your toes" thing is the key.

And thanks to y'all, I've now got a bunch of preventive things to try, too!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned dehydration. I used to have them in the morning, just after waking up. I've been drinking more water, and that may have contributed to them going away.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

When I get a Charley horse, I get up and walk around on it. Sounds masochistic, but the pain ceases almost at once.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Stay well hydrated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Maybe it is just the hydration from the dilution helping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned dehydration.
It was mentioned. You are right, needs more emphasis.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #39

I used to have frequent calf and foot cramps. The cramping stopped after I quit taking Lipitor (for other reasons).
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned dehydration. I used to have them in the morning, just after waking up. I've been drinking more water, and that may have contributed to them going away.
I suspect that is my problem.