Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Is This A Magical Cure For Calf Cramps?
Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is This A Magical Cure For Calf Cramps?

Last night I had calf cramps in one leg while in bed. Usually I can survive them by massaging the calf gently or when it is severe, DW can do the massaging. Last night the usual solution did not work.

After writhing in various positions w/ nothing working, I somehow came up w/ the following position. Lying on my back with the bad leg bent as shown in the crude picture below(head is flat on bed, not bent up as shown in pic)

..............bent
..............bad leg

foot of _/\___o head
bad leg

Almost "instantly" the pain disappeared........and it happened twice in separate
incidents. The conventional cure for calf cramps is to stand and put weight on the bad leg with the leg bent slightly. I've never been able to force myself to do that for fear of falling.

(hopefully the pic bears some resemblance to the original)
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to have these issues in calves and / or toes.

Eating a banana or two daily helped. Then I mentioned to my Gastroenterologist who said it is a common side effect of acid reflux meds such as omeprazole. Now taking Pantoprazole & no issues with cramps or acid reflux.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:11 PM   #3

I guess I'm not the only one who gets these. Standing has been the only solution that's worked for me.

I'll give your method a try next time.

I've also heard bananas (potassium) help. I think there's something to it; I do seem to get a lot fewer of these cramps if I have one with breakfast every day. Unfortunately bananas are bad luck and not allowed on a boat, so when I'm underway for any length of time I tend to get more cramps.

EDIT: Ken beat me to it on the banana thing. I'm not on any meds.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I guess I'm not the only one who gets these. Standing has been the only solution that's worked for me.

I'll give your method a try next time.

I've also heard bananas (potassium) help. I think there's something to it; I do seem to get a lot fewer of these cramps if I have one with breakfast every day.
+1 on all counts. Standing has been the only remedy that works for me (usually in the middle of the night), I’ll try the OPs method next time, and I’m back to having a banana with breakfast most days, haven’t had a calf cramp in quite a while.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
gone traveling

Mg is a wonder mineral, in my opinion.
Every morning with my OJ.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I get them sometimes, and I've always ate bananas. I probably get them less since I started eating one at night as well as morning, but it still happens. I sometimes try to bend the leg like that, but it usually doesn't subside right away. Usually goes away in 10-15 seconds no matter what I do.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #7

If you're low in Mg Theraworx can help.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1 on all counts. Standing has been the only remedy that works for me (usually in the middle of the night), I’ll try the OPs method next time, and I’m back to having a banana with breakfast most days, haven’t had a calf cramp in quite a while.
I had one last night and get them occasionally.... had to rush to get out of bed... stand on it for a few seconds and it subsides. My 87 yo aunt, who is visiting us, swears by these:

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My husband gets them frequently. What works for him is a hot shower. We are blessed to be in a co-op where the hot water system is instant-on.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I take magnesium.

Calf/foot cramps are the only side effect I still experience from my ketogenic diet. I don’t know why.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
..................Unfortunately bananas are bad luck and not allowed on a boat, so when I'm underway for any length of time I tend to get more cramps.

.................................................. ..
I guess I can still learn something every day even tho I've seen so many decades...............I thought this was Hawaiian superstition but looks like it's universal. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/banana-ban/
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #12

Stay well hydrated.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Magnesium citrate

cheap, and works well

Have not had leg cramps in years

Used to get them often, sometimes quite bad ones

bananas or other potassium sources were recommended, but never helped me
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #14

Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up (like when you're tucked in tightly and need a fast remedy).

Pointing my feet down when I stretch in bed, awake or asleep, is usually what brings on the calf cramp.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I also get foot cramps while swimming.

My doctor swears by Apple Cider Vinegar with The Mother.

I told him he was a quack (we have a good relationship) and promised to give it a try anyway. Turns out, since I started sipping that stuff daily, I rarely get foot cramps and can't remember the last calf cramp.

Placebo? Real? I don't know, except it works for me. Just a tablespoon or two per day, diluted. Maybe it is just the hydration from the dilution helping.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:52 AM   #16

For DW and I, we usually just grab the big toe on the offending leg and pull it back tightly for less than 30 seconds and the muscle causing the cramp relaxes.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:05 AM   #17

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
A walk to the fridge and two sips from the pickle juice jar does the trick for me.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #18

https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/arti...muscle-cramps/

This article suggests that muscle cramps are caused by misfiring nerves, in which electrolytes such as pickle juice and/or mustard relieve the cramps, but for the wrong perceived reason.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
Flexing your toes toward your head works without having to stand up (like when you're tucked in tightly and need a fast remedy).

Pointing my feet down when I stretch in bed, awake or asleep, is usually what brings on the calf cramp.
+1

I have several "near cramps" in my right calf every day, usually when stretching or pointing my toes down. As soon as I feel the cramp coming on, I immediately point my toes back toward my head, which relaxes the muscle and stops the cramp from happening. I haven't had an "actual cramp" in several years.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
A walk to the fridge and two sips from the pickle juice jar does the trick for me.
+1 and/or mustard. Did anyone watch US Open when Stephonos Tsitsipas had muscle cramps during match? One of the most painful experiences to watch. His leg muscles tightened up, you could see the excruciating pain in his legs and on his face. Brought me to tears. He lost the match because of it, the cramps kept coming back.
Announcers kept mentioning pickle juice, but the stomach upset from the acid in the vinegar might have been worse.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote