Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Hmm then again maybe free booze just tastes better.
That^^^

Granted I'm a cheap Bastard, but neither price nor "rating" seems to correlate with "good", at least in my limited experience.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

I am just happy that my peasant taste can be easily pleased with wine less than $10. That saves me money to spend on expensive spirits, and as I do not drink that often, it results in a net gain.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Thanks for the blog link Audrey - very interesting, although most of the wines reviewed I have never seen in our local Costco.

I did a Costco run this week and they had a great selection of highly rated red wines under $15. We tried one of them already and it was excellent, hope the rest are as well.

My general price point is $10-12 (up from $9-10 since the market did so well last year ). Rarely spend more than $20. But definitely can tell differences among good and not-so-good bottles at the same price point.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I did a Costco run this week and they had a great selection of highly rated red wines under $15. We tried one of them already and it was excellent, hope the rest are as well.
Hard to go bad with Costco wines. They do a good job at pricing right, and selecting decent wines. Kirkland labels are even better value. Early in the year, we sample some bottles and buy what bubbles up to the top throughout the year.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife likes wine....I don't. Her favs lately are Barefoot Pinot Grigio (even I don't mind this one) and we are having trouble finding the red she likes...Black Swan Cabernet Sauvignon.....if either costs more than $5 it likely costs too much. Only dry white wine....when we eat at my friends place they keep giving her sweet wines. I end up being the equivalent of dumping it in the plant.....when they aren't looking I down it.....I just don't really care. I can kind of relate this whole topic to my college days (late 70's). Tequila was popular. I was cheap (college student...duh) so bought the cheapest.....tasted like crap. At some point I bought Two Fingers.....ahhh better.....but still tasted like crap. Then splurged at some point and bought a better tequila.....I could really tell the difference......my eyes didn't spin around and my throat didn't burn so bad....just a better quality of crap.....but I could tell the difference. Eventually I found that it went down a whole lot better if you didn't breath after taking a shot......breathing really made things worse. After 10-15 seconds or so....breath, reduced the nasty bite quite a bit. Hmmm....maybe I need a Corona...with a little touch of Roses lime juice in it....
Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #66

Costco is a huge buyer in the wine business so they wield a lot of influence:

The Buyer Behind Costco's Billion Dollar Wine Business - CNBC
Old 01-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #67

5 annoying wine words ... my favorite (?) is at #5.

Annoying Wine Words
Old 01-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Hard to go bad with Costco wines. They do a good job at pricing right, and selecting decent wines. Kirkland labels are even better value. Early in the year, we sample some bottles and buy what bubbles up to the top throughout the year.
Also - being based in Seattle, they tend to carry more NW wines than I get anywhere else in my area. I really appreciate that.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #69

Costco buys a lot of imported wines too.

And the stores in CA have a lot of CA wines.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I rarely drink wine so I can't specifically talk to wine tasting. A friend of mine owned a wine store and said that if I wanted to buy wine to have on hand for friends that he could always suggest some good $6-10 bottles.

My son and I went on the KY Bourbon Trail this fall. We tasted something like 18 different bourbons over a couple of days and shared notesm, and found we had similar tastes. Sometimes high priced single batched bourbons were best, but some of the higher rye content ones were not as good to us. A month later we had our own tasting at home, with 15 different bourbons. It was blind for me, and he did his best to forget what he poured where. The results weren't that far off of those on our trip. For example, we didn't like Woodford Reserve, a fine bourbon, either time. And neither of us cared for the cheapest one we tried, Jim Beam. Kentucky Spirit, another fine one, ranked among the top 2 or 3 both times. We also tried to guess which was which, and got a couple right, but for many of them it was only the second time we'd tried them. People have different tastes. Just because I don't like Woodford doesn't mean others won't or shouldn't.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I saw this and realized it was a shoe-in for this thread...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
LOL. Cheers, mate.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #73

I first saw the "alternate" wine opening trick floating in a raft down the Yakima river between Ellensburg and Yakima.....around 1978.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #74

Since Walla Walla came up a few times.....thought I would give it a thumbs up for a decent place to live as well. Plenty of sun and nice summers. Winters can be coldish.....but average a good 5 degree warmer than the Spokane area most of the time. Bit of wind however. It was one of the places I was considering before deciding on the Spokane area.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no trouble with opening wine since mine usually comes is a box.
Since I am a food migrainer I don't drink a lot of wine and neither does DW, the box keeps the oxygen away from the wine and so it keeps longer. Box wines have come a long way and are quite good.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

I have re-found a very old hobby. There is a nice French café a few blocks from me. They gave me their wine list, and when I drink one of their wines, (all French, mise en bouteille au chateau) I make some notes about my impressions. Later I look up the wine on Wikiipedia, and get some history, some of the more prominent estates in the district and other facts. I find that I pretty much airways prefer a French wine to WA or CA. I don't mind paying a bit more, I just use money that I save by having no bucket list. I listen to pronunciations on Forvo; I hope to sound less out of it than otherwise

Ha.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I can't use my shoe, it has my cummunicator in the heel.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #78

Deleted.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainhigh View Post
I have no trouble with opening wine since mine usually comes is a box.
Since I am a food migrainer I don't drink a lot of wine and neither does DW, the box keeps the oxygen away from the wine and so it keeps longer. Box wines have come a long way and are quite good.
I once ended up with a Bordeaux in a wooden box in a Christmas gift exchange at work. It was pretty good, AOC wine.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I have re-found a very old hobby. There is a nice French café a few blocks from me. They gave me their wine list, and when I drink one of their wines, (all French, mise en bouteille au chateau) I make some notes about my impressions. Later I look up the wine on Wikiipedia, and get some history, some of the more prominent estates in the district and other facts. I find that I pretty much airways prefer a French wine to WA or CA. I don't mind paying a bit more, I just use money that I save by having no bucket list. I listen to pronunciations on Forvo; I hope to sound less out of it than otherwise

Ha.
This sounds like a fun hobby. I'm curious, why do you prefer French wines over WA/CA wines?

Lately I've been enjoying WA/CA Cabs. French wines have always been hit or miss for me, but I won't pretend to know much about French wines. I did have an excellent Bordeaux not too long ago, but that was an expensive bottle whose contents really measured up to the price. That's not always true. For me, half the fun about wines is learning about where they come from, their composition and personal understanding of why I like or don't like a specific wine.

Btw, thanks for the reference to Forvo. This is incredibly useful and I'm amazed I've never looked for this type of site in the past.