Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2010, 02:04 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Preventive care...will be free of copayments or deductibles starting this year.
I don't know how common this is, but the company plan we have has always been like this. In fact DW has just had her annual physical including the usual tests for her age, and unlike all other doctor visits there is no co-pay and nothing applied to the deductible.

I guess it might only make sense to insurance companies in company group plans as the individuals are more likely to be with them in the longer term. (or maybe it is the company that pays extra to fund this as they have a long term vested interested in the health costs of their employees).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I will add is that I will be the first one to say: "I told you so", when this turns into yet another bloated govt entitlement program with massive fraud that loses billions on a yearly basis. My kids will have to work until they're 90 to pay for it...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
All I will add is that I will be the first one to say: "I told you so", when this turns into yet another bloated govt entitlement program with massive fraud that loses billions on a yearly basis. My kids will have to work until they're 90 to pay for it...........
Don't look for any medals for that prediction. Seriously, aren't the terms "Government Program" and "bloated program with massive fraud that looses billions on a yearly basis" synonymous? The US Government spends other people's money like Imelda Marcos buying shoes.

Did anyone notice the Las Vegas newspaper ran a poll asking readers who were not currently insured if they planned to buy insurance and comply with the law - 44% said no. No doubt not a reliable poll, but I wonder how many people are out there who will refuse.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Another Informational timeline of events

Timeline: When health care reform will affect you - CNN.com
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #65

Alan,
My point was annual physicals are not covered by Medicare as 'Preventive Medicine' so the question will they be under any new plan. What your doctor considers preventive may not be what the government does. I had always considered an annual physical preventive, but when you turn 65, the government does not. Sure seems like it is even more so then.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

You're struggling to make ends meet so you think you may want to work a little longer and harder to make a little extra money.

But for every dollar you earn there, you lose 15 cents to federal income tax, you lose about 15 cents of your health insurance subsidy and you lose about 14 cents to self-employment taxes (15.3% less the deductibility of half of it). In a state with an income tax you could lose another 5 cents to state income tax.

Of that dollar you earned, you only keep about half of it. At this point you have to ask yourself if it's really worth busting your chops to earn a little more. And since the subsidy is still phasing out once you hit the 28% bracket, before it completely phases out there's a "bracket" where you lose about 60 cents on the dollar if not a little more to taxes and lost subsidies.
I am thinking that subsidy maybe the worse thing about the bill. In the past these crazy marginal tax doughnut holes where people faced 50+ marginal tax rate apply only to the wealthy or very poor. Classic example in the past included a the mom who got off welfare to get a minimum wage job faced a 50%+ marginal rate due to loss of food stamps, welfare reduction. At the upper end people with AMT could face 50%+ marginal due to phases out of deductions, and various credit.

However the doughnut hole range in the current bill is huge 43-88K depending on family size and covers more than 1/3 of all American households. Now admittedly for the typical American who have insurance from work this won't matter. But for the retiree, contractors, self employed, these are the most likely people to both buy their own and insurance and have the ability to shift income.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
One aspect of "What Now" that I haven't seen mentioned is the immediate impact on small businesses. They will get tax credits of up to 30% this year to offer health insurance to employees. Anyone here working for a small business that might be encouraged to offer a policy with such a credit?

My small business already provided BCBS Health Care Insurance to our employees. So is it safe to assume that we can get a full refund of all premiums paid and a 30% tax credit going forward? This will enable us to be competitive with companies who were able to outspend us on R&D in the past by not providing expensive health coverage for their employees and are now able to take advantage of this new tax credit.

Where do I sign up?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceGeek View Post
Thanks Rich_in_Tampa, but the summary didn't address my question. Reading it straight from Subtitle B, Section 1101, clause d2 (attention all humans: its on page 48) of http://docs.house.gov/rules/hr4872/1..._engrossed.pdf seems to say that only those who have been without coverage for 6 months are eligible for inclusion in this pre-existing pool. Since the provision takes effect 3 months from enactment, I'd have to guess that means someone who has a pre-existing condition and no insurance from approximately "3 months before tomorrow" onwards.

So it seems that those who are forced to keep working to obtain group coverage without pre-existing exclusions are outta luck until 1/1/2014 unless they want to "go naked" for 6 months. Or perhaps they're good 18/36 months before 1/1/2014 assuming their group coverage gives them COBRA eligibility.

Unless the next Senate reconciliation bill changes all this.
This was one of my major irritants in the bill. People are forced to go bare, they can't even use up Cobra and then go on the pool. Things like this make my blood pressure go up.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #69
Administrator

We already have a "public option" in my state. But the big problem is that you need to go bare for 6 months to qualify. It would be just my luck to be hit by a truck during that period.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Alan,
My point was annual physicals are not covered by Medicare as 'Preventive Medicine' so the question will they be under any new plan. What your doctor considers preventive may not be what the government does. I had always considered an annual physical preventive, but when you turn 65, the government does not. Sure seems like it is even more so then.
I hadn't realized that. It really seems short sighted to not encourage Medicare participants to have regular check-ups. It will be interesting to see if the new law defines preventive care as including regular check ups. In Japan, people visit their doctor 3 or 4 times more often than in the USA, mostly for check ups. Could be a contributing factor to their longer life expectancy.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We already have a "public option" in my state. But the big problem is that you need to go bare for 6 months to qualify. It would be just my luck to be hit by a truck during that period.
We have a high risk pool already - you just have to be denied coverage (I think by 2 commercial insurers, can't remember). It costs a fortune and will keep me from bankruptcy if something happens - but they can't refuse me.

That 6 months without coverage thing seems insane - I noticed that.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #72

Quote:
Alan,
from the link chinaco provided in the post before yours
Quote:
• Medicare will provide free annual wellness visits and personalized prevention plans. New plans will be required to cover preventive services with no co-pay.
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
We have a high risk pool already - you just have to be denied coverage (I think by 2 commercial insurers, can't remember). It costs a fortune and will keep me from bankruptcy if something happens - but they can't refuse me.

Most risk pools have a six month wait, certainly at least before covering preexisting conditions. There is a HIPAA exception in most cases where if you are coming off of a group plan you can get on the risk pool. There isn't such an exception on the bill that was passed.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Most risk pools have a six month wait, certainly at least before covering preexisting conditions. There is a HIPAA exception in most cases where if you are coming off of a group plan you can get on the risk pool. There isn't such an exception on the bill that was passed.
There is a fix that deserves bi-partisan support.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Don't look for any medals for that prediction. Seriously, aren't the terms "Government Program" and "bloated program with massive fraud that looses billions on a yearly basis" synonymous? The US Government spends other people's money like Imelda Marcos buying shoes.

Did anyone notice the Las Vegas newspaper ran a poll asking readers who were not currently insured if they planned to buy insurance and comply with the law - 44% said no. No doubt not a reliable poll, but I wonder how many people are out there who will refuse.
How will they track, fine and collect on these penalties?
skyvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
How will they track, fine and collect these penalties?
Someone here posted an article from the Christian Science Monitor that gave the highlights on what to expect from the new bill. It was there, I believe, where I read that the G estimates it will need thousands (17,000 I think) new IRS agents to enforce the income tax provisions for health care reform.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyvue View Post
How will they track, fine and collect on these penalties?
IRS, seriously.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Another feature that comes in this year is that all insurers must post their balance sheets on the Internet and fully disclose administrative costs, executive compensation packages, and benefit payments. This is preparing for the point later on when exchanges come in - insurers have to spend at least 80%? on health care. But the early transparency will be nice.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post

Up until today, to qualify for a state's risk pool and have pre-existing conditions covered, you had to have already been covered by a group health plan for 18 months. I think this is another reason people with pre-existing conditions have had difficulty getting insurance - they weren't covered by an employer group plan or not for long enough.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Oops!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote