Itchy throat, cold followed by months of cough

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just wondering how common is this. I don't take seasonal flu jabs. The last 2 years I find that I have coughs that last for more than a month, sometimes more than 2 months. I have lots of phlegm and just can't get rid of the cough despite prescribed and over the counter medicine. I started having this again 2 days ago and am wondering how long this will last and whether it will go before my vacation to Bordeaux in 3 weeks' time. ( I want to enjoy my wine!). I usually get this problem when I am tired like after a long trip - my body resistance level is pretty low then. Should I take the seasonal flu jab and why is my coughing so prolonged? Doctors say its an allergy cough! Not sure what I am allergic to? Bad weather?

Last edited:
I had the same thing for a long time and eventually got a proper diagnosis - allergic rhinitis. Some non-steroidal nasal spray always takes care of it.

If the cough frequntly occurs at this time of year, allergy to ragweed could be the culprit. Letj's problem, allergic rhinitis, is commonly involved. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor again and ask for a referral to an allergist if a solution cannot be found.

Everybody is different so the best advice is to see your Doc when the symtoms appear. I never took care of myself, years ago, smoked, ate a lot of sugar and red meat and always had the flu or a bad cold. When I became an official pre-diabetic 6 years ago, my Doc told me to get ready to go or change the way I lived. So, I gave up sugar (had already stopped smoking) tripled my intake of vegtables and fruit, cut back on red meat, added a lot of chicken and started to lose weight. Every day for lunch.....salad, every day for dinner......chicken or fish. Today, 6 years later, I'm 50 lbs lighter, haven't had a cold in 4 years and feel great. There really is something to changing your eating habits for a lifetime.....instead of a diet. Best of all I love it....my taste buds have changed and I wouldn't enjoy my old way of life.......I really do wish you health......do what you feel is right for you......I know I'm glad my Doc hit me head on with you are what you eat and smoke....l.you are in charge of how you feel and how long you live.......I'm lucky because I think I found a life I enjoy and wouldn't change it for the world. Good luck to you!

Good for you, Jerome. As regards change of diet, i too have changed my diet for 2 years - white meat, lots of vegetables and fruits and increased exercise resulting in a loss in 6 lbs and a present weight of 110 lbs (that's my weight around 10 years ago?). I think it is body resistance also or plain old allergy. Every time I get this ticklish cough, I go through a lot of medicine and the doctors just say - allergy!

Have you thought of taking an over the counter allergy pill daily during the allergy season? I've done that this summer for the first time and my allergy symptoms have lessened.

Have you thought of taking an over the counter allergy pill daily during the allergy season? I've done that this summer for the first time and my allergy symptoms have lessened.

This is what my doc prescribed, just pop a Claritin-D to treat symptoms (I probably take less than 20 a year). I don't really have the cough though, just mildly itchy eyes and random sneeziness. And it just developed maybe 5 years ago.

When I became an official pre-diabetic 6 years ago, my Doc told me to get ready to go or change the way I lived. So, I gave up sugar (had already stopped smoking) tripled my intake of vegtables and fruit, cut back on red meat, added a lot of chicken and started to lose weight. Every day for lunch.....salad, every day for dinner......chicken or fish. Today, 6 years later, I'm 50 lbs lighter, haven't had a cold in 4 years and feel great....

I had a similar experience with increasing blood sugar levels and lost about 50 pounds last year on a healthy diet. However that winter was my worst in years for sickness as I caught 2 colds and a stomach virus the last couple of months of 2012. Luckily it helped me lose another 10 pounds. :) I don't feel great but I do feel better.

Just wondering how common is this. I don't take seasonal flu jabs. The last 2 years I find that I have coughs that last for more than a month, sometimes more than 2 months. I have lots of phlegm and just can't get rid of the cough despite prescribed and over the counter medicine. I started having this again 2 days ago and am wondering how long this will last and whether it will go before my vacation to Bordeaux in 3 weeks' time. ( I want to enjoy my wine!). I usually get this problem when I am tired like after a long trip - my body resistance level is pretty low then. Should I take the seasonal flu jab and why is my coughing so prolonged? Doctors say its an allergy cough! Not sure what I am allergic to? Bad weather?
I had a long term cough last year, and eventually told my doctor about it and asked if that was a side effect from any of my meds. He switched my BP medications, and wow! It immediately went away. IIRC the cough due to side effects was supposed to be non-productive and mine seemed pretty doggone productive with lots of mucus, which is why I didn't figure this out right away. Still, changing the meds took care of it immediately so I am not questioning it.

Not only did the medication change eliminate that cough, but also my digestion is smoother and my BP is much better than it was on the old meds.

Last edited:
Yes, I started my allergy tablet yesterday. Taking 10 mg Zyrtec. I will take it for a few more days. Hope it will help.

The last few days have been bad for me. Claritin-D does help, but still have the sniffles. Funny thing, I had no problems during the Spring. Making up for it now though.

My wife got something on a UK trip in May (I did too but recovered easily). She could not shake the cough. Went to the doc who put her on antibiotics. It went away and then came back. After some time she was put on another antibiotic and the situation has seemed to get better now. The process took about 3 months before she was better.

You might want to visit your doc if you cannot shake this thing.

I had a cough that went on for close to 2 months this year. The longest I've had seen I got walking pneumonia in the outback in Australia in the 1990s. A couple of different treatments of antibiotics and did get eventually go away.

Well, I certainly hope to stop this cough this week. Today I feel better after so many days of sleeping. The ticklish throat is better. Now I have to get rid of the thick phlegm. Hope no relapse! Fingers crossed. If all goes well, this would be the fastest I ever recover from a cough!

Last edited:

Had very much the same problem , doc told me it was acid redux , laughed it iff at first, ill be darned she was right . Over the counter Tagamet for a month worked on me.

It seems my main allergy is to morning. I sneeze for about ten or fifteen minutes everyday day when I first get up. This is year round, not seasonal. Some hacking and coughing, but almost nonstop sneezes. Once it stops, I'm done with it for the day. I've never taken anything for it. {I don't like the way the allergy pills make me feel} I just keep a roll of TP handy in the am.

I just wanted to update. After so many days of nagging cough and itchy throat, I googled for some tips and stumbled upon some useful advice. Gargle with undiluted listerine and replace toothbrush until fully recover. It seems to work after 2 days of doing this. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom