Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

It's even more official: Chocolate is good for you
Old 06-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's even more official: Chocolate is good for you

Quote:
Conclusions Cumulative evidence suggests that higher chocolate intake is associated with a lower risk of future cardiovascular events, although residual confounding cannot be excluded. There does not appear to be any evidence to say that chocolate should be avoided in those who are concerned about cardiovascular risk.
Popular press re-cap: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0615191518.htm

Original article: Habitual chocolate consumption and risk of cardiovascular disease among healthy men and women -- Kwok et al. -- Heart
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

hmmmm... sounds fishy about cardiovascular events. But why worry about that. With enough chocolate you will just end up in a chocolate comma... at that point cardio really doesn't matter!
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #3

A chocolate comma sounds good to me! I'd try a chocolate question mark or exclamation mark, too! But a chocolate colon, or even a semicolon, sounds gross.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
A chocolate comma sounds good to me! I'd try a chocolate question mark or exclamation mark, too! But a chocolate colon, or even a semicolon, sounds gross.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:37 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Chocolate goes to the liver where it is processed into LDL's. which increase the risk of heart problems. I just had a stent placed and the caused of the problem was traced back to "too much" chocolate. A little is Ok, but I was into a pound a month!
robertpsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpsimpson View Post
Chocolate goes to the liver where it is processed into LDL's. which increase the risk of heart problems. I just had a stent placed and the caused of the problem was traced back to "too much" chocolate. A little is Ok, but I was into a pound a month!
What evidence are you citing? Are we speaking of Cocoa being converted to cholesterol or of all the sugar in commercial "chocolate" being converted to glucose (stored fat)? Or, for that matter, evidence citing any dietary cholesterol being converted into blood cholesterol.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What evidence are you citing? Are we speaking of Cocoa being converted to cholesterol or of all the sugar in commercial "chocolate" being converted to glucose (stored fat)? Or, for that matter, evidence citing any dietary cholesterol being converted into blood cholesterol.
Agree with RonBoyd, this isn't adding up.

A pound a month? That's ~ 1/2 ounce per day. A typical 'serving size' is 40 grams which is ~ 1.4 ounces. You were slacking by a long shot! edit/add - and the article was using 100 grams per day! Yummmm.

Unless you are talking about that sugary candy stuff, rather than the real thing - good quality dark chocolate, 72% cocoa or above.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Dang, you killjoy! I was just about to order a case of these.

Amazon.com : Hershey's Milk Chocolate Candy Bar, 5-Pound Bar : Candy And Chocolate Bars : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Dang, you killjoy! I was just about to order a case of these.
LOL!

Yummy: 24 grams of Sugar.

Nutrition Information
Kosher Status: OU-D
Serving Size: 1 Bar
Total Calories 220 Calories from Fat 110
Amount Per Serving %DV *
Total Fat 13g 20% Saturated Fat 8g 40% Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg 3%

Sodium 35mg 1%
Total Carbohydrate 25g 8% Dietary Fiber 1g 4% Sugars 24g
Protein 3g 6% Vitamin A 0 0% Vitamin C 0 0% Calcium 84.8mg 8%
Iron 1.5mg 8%
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

"Higher levels of consumption were associated with younger age." This is the benefit that I want. Willy Wonka here I come! The other benefits seem pretty technical.

Ha
Old 06-17-2015, 05:30 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Total Fat 13g 20% Saturated Fat 8g 40% Trans Fat 0g
I just noticed that, of the 13 grams of fat, only 60% is saturated (the good kind). I do wonder what on earth the other 40% could be.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agree with RonBoyd, this isn't adding up.

A pound a month? That's ~ 1/2 ounce per day. A typical 'serving size' is 40 grams which is ~ 1.4 ounces. You were slacking by a long shot! edit/add - and the article was using 100 grams per day! Yummmm.

Unless you are talking about that sugary candy stuff, rather than the real thing - good quality dark chocolate, 72% cocoa or above.

-ERD50
I agree also..this flys in the face of everything I've ever read about (good, real) chocolate.

My 'drug' of choice in Ghiradelli's 60% dark, bittersweet baking chips. All the goodness without the cost of a fancy wrapper. Dark chocolate lowers the higher blood pressure number by up to 5 points. I eat 5-10 chips a day, I'm in my late 50's and my BP is 115/68 (two years ago I broke 100 at 99/65). My HDL/LDL and cholesterol are all well inside the 'normal' limits.
fishboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
I just noticed that, of the 13 grams of fat, only 60% is saturated (the good kind). I do wonder what on earth the other 40% could be.
Actually, saturated fat is the BAD kind.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
And you are citing something other than the USDA?

EDIT: Okay, that was unfair. Here of some of my cites:

https://www.google.com/search?source...bz695I&qscrl=1
Old 06-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #15

Quote:
And you are citing something other than the USDA?

EDIT: Okay, that was unfair. Here of some of my cites:

https://www.google.com/search?source...bz695I&qscrl=1
I thought this was common knowledge. Everything in moderation, of course, so some saturated fat won't kill anyone. Anyway, here are 3 sources I found quickly by Google search:

Dietary fats: Know which types to choose - Mayo Clinic

The truth about fats: the good, the bad, and the in-between - Harvard Health

Fat Facts: Essential Fatty Acids, Saturated Fat, and Trans Fat
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
How much transfat did you consume during those pound a month chocolate months? That sh*t will cause CHD faster than chocolate!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
That is a myth - often repeated, but not true. Lots of recent research shows that saturated fat is not the demon it was once made out to be. Here is one article about that to start with, you can easily find more with a search: The Diet-Heart Myth: Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Are Not the Enemy

And dark chocolate (70% cocoa or above) is good for you. I eat a few pieces every day. I actually prefer the 80-85% cocoa, and that is better yet, as it has less sugar.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
That is a myth - often repeated, but not true. Lots of recent research shows that saturated fat is not the demon it was once made out to be. Here is one article about that to start with, you can easily find more with a search: The Diet-Heart Myth: Cholesterol and Saturated Fat Are Not the Enemy
True. Trans-fat was killing us and we didn't know it. And if you look at the molecule, you'll see that 'natural' saturated fat has bonds that allow rotation, whereas those equivalent bonds in a manufactured trans-fat do not allow rotation. Our bodies freaked out with that stuff! I've been harping on no trans-fat for twenty years, throwing out the Crisco if my wife bought it (she finally started buying lard, which, although demonized, is not a 'poison' like trans-fat is).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #19

Darn, and I sold my Hershey (HSY) stock this spring for $100 a share.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I own stock in 3D Systems, that partnered with Hershey to create the CocoJet. The possibilities for the average consumer market are endless.

Press release from 3D Systems...
3D Systems Previews New Chocolate 3D Printer CocoJetTM at 2015 International CES | www.3dsystems.com

I personally prefer dark chocolate from Lindt.