8/5: 122
8/12: 120
8/19: 119
8/26: 118
9/2: 121 (post vacation weekend)
9/9: 117
9/16: 119
9/23: 118
9/30: 117 (post vacation weekend - Mobile)
10/7: 118
10/14: 118

10/21: 117

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #2022
Administrator

week date D lbs D lbs total
1 Sep 30 - 3.0 - 3.0
2 Oct 07 - 1.2 - 4.2
3 Oct 14 - 4.2 - 8.4
4 Oct 21 +2.2 - 6.2
Too much eating out at restaurants this week.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #2023
Moderator Emeritus

My plan to follow the glycemic load thingie plan has fizzled big time! I'm now up 2.5 lbs. from my original weight where I had the goal of a 25 lb. loss. and any other mad/sad smilies out there.

Can't blame the glycemic load thingie--have to follow something for it to work! Today I'm joining a gym and tomorrow I'm going to face the music at Weight Watchers.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #2024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My plan to follow the glycemic load thingie plan has fizzled big time!
That's a bummer. From my research, I'd have thought it would work and be easy to follow. DW and I have been following it, eating more, and not losing any weight. Haven't had any bread, rice or potatoes for two months, and don't miss them.

What do you mean by "Can't blame the glycemic load thingie--have to follow something for it to work!"
Old 10-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #2025
Give me a forum ...

177.5 Nov 2008
180.5 Dec 26, 2008 a few holiday parties got me!
181 Dec 31, 2008 - weight is peaked
178 Jan 28
180 Feb 25
177 Mar 25
176 Apr 22
180.5 May 20
175 June 24
182 Aug 2 - post cruise weight.
182.5 Aug 12 - oops!
180 Aug 26
180 Sep 30
179 Oct 7
180 Oct 15
179.5 Oct 21 - dh2b discovered that the Schwann's truck is parked daily in a gas station right on the way home. I've hidden the order catalog from him. Too expensive, too fattening.

Short Term Goal - 170 lbs and maintaining all through 2009
Long Term Goal - 165 lbs for 2010
High school weight 135 lbs senior year, running track
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #2026
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's a bummer. From my research, I'd have thought it would work and be easy to follow. DW and I have been following it, eating more, and not losing any weight. Haven't had any bread, rice or potatoes for two months, and don't miss them.

What do you mean by "Can't blame the glycemic load thingie--have to follow something for it to work!"
I meant I planned to follow it, did a couple of days w/very low carbs (only those found in fruit and non-starchy veggies), saw a couple of pounds fall off, and then eased up on it. The commitment to it on my part wasn't there.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it, as my efforts were short-lived.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #2027
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I am back on the train after being out of commission for about 9 months. I had shoulder problems and backslid a lot not being able to do my workouts, I end up eating horribly. I got my surgeries in June and August and am starting back up again, slowly.

Our boot camp just started a 3 month fitness challenge, winner gets a month free, so I figured that would help me jump start eating right again. Okay, so I'm on Day 3 of eating good food.

Starting weight: 133, but I think I was pretty dehydrated, so when my hydration level catches up, that might actually add a couple of pounds.
Goal weight: probably 120 or so, not really numbers focused, just looking for a good weight for being active.

In all my time off I have accumulated quite a home gym setup off of Craigslist, I'll have to post a pic when I get it all set up the way I want.

I have been looking in on this thread periodically, good job to everybody still here sticking with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #2028
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Well, I am back on the train after being out of commission for about 9 months. I had shoulder problems and backslid a lot not being able to do my workouts, I end up eating horribly. I got my surgeries in June and August and am starting back up again, slowly.

Our boot camp just started a 3 month fitness challenge, winner gets a month free, so I figured that would help me jump start eating right again. Okay, so I'm on Day 3 of eating good food.

Starting weight: 133, but I think I was pretty dehydrated, so when my hydration level catches up, that might actually add a couple of pounds.
Goal weight: probably 120 or so, not really numbers focused, just looking for a good weight for being active.

In all my time off I have accumulated quite a home gym setup off of Craigslist, I'll have to post a pic when I get it all set up the way I want.

I have been looking in on this thread periodically, good job to everybody still here sticking with it.
Welcome igsoy! May I ask how tall you are? I am 5'4 (well, maybe 5' 3 1/2?) and started out at your weight and ended up at/near the same goal weight.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #2029
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the welcome. I am just 5 foot tall, but pretty muscular from all my activities (before I got hurt I could deadlift 230, did 100 pullups in a workout once) Have managed to not lose much muscle while I've laid off, just added fat on top of it, haha.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #2030

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I am just 5 foot tall, but pretty muscular from all my activities (before I got hurt I could deadlift 230, did 100 pullups in a workout once) Have managed to not lose much muscle while I've laid off, just added fat on top of it, haha.
Wow, I can't imagine lifting that much!

Best wishes with your attack on the fat!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #2031
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only a skinny person would say this.

If you're an eater (like me), cutting out all white flour items, white potatoes, white rice, sugar, and everything made with them is VERY tough. It's amazing how ubiquitous these ingedients are. I've been doing it (with varying degrees of sucess) for about 5 years due to managing my diabetes without medications. It's not as hard now that we aren't eating out 5-8 times/week. And it tends to be easier during the fresh veggie season, and gets harder in the winter. But if they would make an exception for pizza and ice cream I'd have it locked.

We're getting our new treadmill tomorrow. We've been walking since early summer, but no significant weight change for me. When we walk we're pretty much always together, and we walk at DW's speed which is a pleasant stroll for me, but far from a workout. I'm planning to hit the treadmill hard (but below injury level), work up a decent sweat, and go for 45 mins to an hour maybe 5 days/week. Hopefully I'll have something majorly positive to report by New Years.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #2032
Full time employment: Posting here.

DateWeightFat%
1/23/08196.817.1%
7/30/08191.816.0%
11/12/08195.217.1%
12/03/08198.217.8%
1/07/09200.617.9%
2/04199.418.4%
3/04201.817.7%
4/01198.217.3%
5/06197.416.7%
6/03200.217.6%
7/01198.417.7%
8/05195.217.0%
9/02195.217.2%
9/09196.218.1%
9/16193.817.5%
9/23194.617.0%
9/30193.417.3%
10/07194.216.9%
10/14Vacation 
10/21198.617.4%

Goal190.015.3%
Highest260May 2001
Lowest190June 2007

Post-vacation jump in weight. Entirely expected. Brownies, ice cream, candy, Mexican, Chinese, Sushi (okay, that one isn't entirely unhealthy), airport food, etc. I was over 200 on Monday, so at least I dropped some water weight since then. I was 2 pounds lighter today than yesterday, but I think that's probably all that will come off easily.

Hard to get back in the swing of things after not having exercised with my regular routine for 9 days in a row. And after flying 3000 miles last Friday, training martial arts for 4 hours later in the day Friday, another 6 hours on Saturday, then flying 3000 miles back on Sunday my body wasn't that interested in working out earlier this week.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #2033
Give me a forum ...

Was looking for a place to drop this - it really would work best with the fire ants & scorpions list - but maybe REWahoo will find it here...

Beauty website: El Paso No. 1 for ugly men - El Paso Times

"The city also suffers from a notably high rate of obesity, 32 percent are in below average health and 30 percent do not exercise regularly, which is probably why there are so few gyms in town. There is such a thing as too much Tex-Mex."

No offense... (such a funny phrase)
Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #2034
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Was looking for a place to drop this - it really would work best with the fire ants & scorpions list...

El Paso No. 1 for ugly men - El Paso Times
Thanks. I'll add it to the ever-growing list of "why you don't want to move to Texas".

Quote:
There is such a thing as too much Tex-Mex."

No offense... (such a funny phrase)
Nothing offensive or funny about Tex-Mex cuisine, simply delicious.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #2035
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

For two weeks now I have not eaten any bread, rice or potatoes or refined sugar like candy or ice cream. I am doing OK with that but I find that I miss bread a lot and chocolate. I love bread. I am not a big meat fan. I am finding that I like the meat well enough but it isn't bread. The diet is much pricier than my old way of eating but I can live with that. I will not buy commercial chicken because of the way the chicken are treated. So I have to buy the expensive co-op chicken. I have started to eat beef after not eating it for many years. I find that I like it better than chicken. Fish is fine, but not thrilling. Again, it isn't bread. Part of the problem is that I don't eat commercial bread, only home made and I tell you it was damn good bread. Slather it with butter. Or pesto. Heaven. OK, Martha, shut up now.

It takes a few months to develope a habit so I might simply get into the habit of replacing protein with carbs but I am not finding that it is easy.

Two weeks, 1.5 pounds lost.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #2036
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
It takes a few months to develop a habit so I might simply get into the habit of replacing protein with carbs but I am not finding that it is easy.
Was reading about an Australian escaped prisoner/cannibal - article claimed that since all the escapers had to eat was meat, no carbs, they could get full but were always hungry. Eating more and more of their fellows filled but did not satisfy them. Claimed that carbs satisfy hunger. My gal did a very low carb diet for some months a few years ago - it really did take the weight off, but she was not a real happy girl, and her breath - whew... she claimed it was ketosis(?) - her body using it's own resources for fuel.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #2037

The diet we did which led to my husband and myself losing 10-15# each was modified a lo-carb/hi-protein diet - not one of the severe lo-carb ones. We did not have any carbs at dinner for a long time. We now occasionally have carbs at dinner but in limited amounts. It was tough for me to adjust at first, but now I'm fine with it. Especially since I eat a small bowl of icecream every night...guess that blows the no-carbs at night plan, LOL! So far, however, we seem to be maintaining.

I feel much fuller on a high protein diet than I ever expected. I don't think I was eating enough protein before.

BTW, I was a bread/pasta/carb addict prior to this, so one can adjust!

Old 10-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #2038
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
For two weeks now I have not eaten any bread, rice or potatoes or refined sugar like candy or ice cream.
Last time I did that I noticed how much more clear headed I felt without any sugar/high glycemic carbs in my system. Curious if you are noticing the same effect?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #2039
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Last time I did that I noticed how much more clear headed I felt without any sugar/high glycemic carbs in my system. Curious if you are noticing the same effect?
No.

Twenty five or so years ago I quit smoking. People would say how much better food would taste and the air would smell, etc. I never noticed a difference. Sometimes I think that I have an anti-placebo effect going.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #2040
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Was reading about an Australian escaped prisoner/cannibal - article claimed that since all the escapers had to eat was meat, no carbs, they could get full but were always hungry. Eating more and more of their fellows filled but did not satisfy them. Claimed that carbs satisfy hunger. My gal did a very low carb diet for some months a few years ago - it really did take the weight off, but she was not a real happy girl, and her breath - whew... she claimed it was ketosis(?) - her body using it's own resources for fuel.
In Thompson's Glycemic-Load Diet book he says part of that issue is that we do like sweets and there may be a need to satisfy that urge. So after you eat a meal, have a piece of fruit or a small handful of chocolate chips. I have been eating a clementine after I eat and I do find that is helping with the feeling of wanting something more. I am afraid to try chocolate because I like it too much.