Join Early Retirement Today

Re: It's Wednesday weigh ins!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #221
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
That beer or two is what has really put the weight on me!.....It's all his fault you know!
SG, man can I relate!! I have curtailed my beer to two or less per week, and only on my nights off. Tough for a guy who really enjoys the flavor of a good ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
So we've been dieting now for 16 weeks, and have lost 30 lbs. That is 1.875 lbs a week.
Sarah, 1.875 is a fantastic average. Keep it up!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Sarah, 1.875 is a fantastic average. Keep it up!!"

Since 2 is supposed to be a healthy loss. Which is really good I might add!

Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #223

Today I am down to 163! Yeah! Lost the St. Pat's weight, even!

I went with my sister to the gym on Friday night (gee Wally you live in the fast lane) and was amazed to discover that she can't even do ONE sit up on the incline bench! I try to do 4 sets of 9 at least 3x week! And she is SKINNY! It was a real eye-opener for me to realize how strong I've become since starting all this gym rat business. All good this week!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started drinking more water last week after the nurse not being able to find my vein to put in an IV, she said to drink more water. Well it's done it's job, I'm down 3.5lbs since last Thurs, I must have been holding on to water weight because I was dehydrated. Could be all the extra exercise I'm getting from running to and from the bathroom, but on a good note, I get up at night now and while I'm taking care of business I let the dog out so he's not waking me up later at 2 or 3 am

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #225
Moderator Emeritus

(Sigh) going to school and working full time has led me to cut corners for a few months, and I ballooned up from 190 lbs to a whopping 224 since October.

So for a week now I've been on the straight and narrow, with DW helping ( packing my lunch! ). The first week of a diet is always a blast - I was 217 this morning - I know, water weight, but still. I'm hoping to get back under 200 before the Olivia is born at the beginning of June. Tough goal, but if I shoot for it I'll be happy where I end up.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #226
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
(Sigh) going to school and working full time has led me to cut corners for a few months, and I ballooned up from 190 lbs to a whopping 224 since October.
Oh, man, it's not cutting corners-- it's pregnancy sympathy weight!

You're just doing everything you can to support your spouse!!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

And then some! But I'm halving my meal size, trading the brew for a bottle of water, stairs, that type of thing. It was having to suck it in to button my 36" that got me.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

Up 2 lbs to 328. Not going to the gym after work for a week really hurt both my weigfht and my shoulder. Good news is that I start back at it Friday evening.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #229

this morning i was 214.5 but this evening i'm 219. must have been that omlette.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 AM   #230

Quote:
The first week of a diet is always a blast - I was 217 this morning - I know, water weight, but still.
Down 4 for the week. DP gently pointed out that it's all water weight the first week.

I gently pointed out that he could bite me.

I say it counts. So there! :P
Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #231

this morning i was back down to 215 from 219 last night. i must have had a restless night's sleep.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #232

I hope you have room for one more as I recently embarked on a weight loss plan after seeing my scales.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 150lbs. That means I have gained 35lbs in 13 years of marriage. I have gained 10lbs in the last year. So this time I have to get serious and do something about getting off some of the fat I have on my thighs and gut.

My first step has been to cut out the chocolate bars and daily Starbucks. I have also made a point of hitting the treadmill I have in my house every day.

I would like to say thanks to whoever put out in their post how to calculate calorific intake. I am going to spend some time this weekend looking it over, as I think I have possibly ballooned the last year because of lack of calories (well I can dream).

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #233
Recycles dryer sheets

Another week at 328, but I have been faithful to neither diet nor gym. Try harder this week.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #234

Down another 1.5lbs. I'm getting back on track, at least for the moment, I'm waiting to hear from the dr about a surgery date for next week. Hopefully minor with a minimal recoup time, he said I'd feel like a new woman, he better be right

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
Joining late but better late than never

48, 6', 200.5# after the holiday splurge and way too much business travel. My start date is 1/14/07. I live in a house with 3 skinny females that keep the cupboards full of fat and sugar. Nothing like a challenge. I'll weigh in next week.
Quote:
1/24/07 194.5#. Yeah :P
Quote:
1/31/07 191.5#
Quote:
2/07/07 189# (3 day splurge in the Yucatan but worth it; next 10# are the tough ones for me)
Quote:

2/14/07 185.5# (caught a bug from DD so 3 days sick in bed; not a fun way to loose weight)
Quote:
2/21/07 182.5#
Quote:
2/28/07 180.5#
Quote:
3/4/07 179#
Quote:
3/21/07 176# (my college "jockish" weight)
4/04/07 173.5# DW said "that's enough, you're scarrin me", so it's onto that ever so challenging maintenance phase. (Nice to have that extra spring in my step and loft in my launch )

[img width=750 height=562]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g296/targa-dave/sequence1A.jpg[/img]
Old 04-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #236

Oh, such a big weekend! Friday night we went to an awesome concert in Charlotte (Chris Knight-I am a HUGE fan) and had a million beers. Also went to a party on Sat night and another on Sun afternoon. If it weren't for socializing, I think we'd have wasted away to nothing by now! No weight lost, actually at 164, but I can't expect it when we are on the Elvis lifestyle plan!

Sigh, back to the gym every day this week and NO beer! Have to stop with the elliptical machine, as I'm getting some pain in one hip (I think it is called the IB or IT bands) from repetitive motion--I work out to a cardio program for 1 hour on the days we don't work with the trainer--moving to the stationary bike for a while. And hey, I'm getting closer to the floor on pushups--still about 1 foot off. But I can do 80 spread-eagle situps!

Since all these folks have tickers for their FIRE date, I thought at least I could have one for losing weight, since my fire date is like 2017!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #237

I'm down 1.7lbs from my starting weight which is a good start but I find I always loose the same 2lbs then nothing else happens.

TargaDave, well done, 27lbs in less than 3 months is a great achievement.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:38 AM   #238
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbop
Another week at 328, but I have been faithful to neither diet nor gym. Try harder this week.
At this point in the process it may be a lot more rewarding to monitor your measurements than your weight. In fact if you're converting fat to muscle (or recovering from doing so) then your weight may even go up.

Quote:
Nice to have that extra spring in my step and loft in my launch
Hey, is your foot supposed to leave the board like that or were you scrambling for control?!? Yikes!

How did you get that photo series-- can that be done with a digital surf camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
Sigh, back to the gym every day this week and NO beer! Have to stop with the elliptical machine, as I'm getting some pain in one hip (I think it is called the IB or IT bands) from repetitive motion--I work out to a cardio program for 1 hour on the days we don't work with the trainer--moving to the stationary bike for a while.
Having been through that physical therapy, my reaction is "ouch". There are stretches (google "iliotibial band stretch" or "ITB stretch") and if it gets worse then it's going to start affecting your knee, your posture, and maybe even lead to sciatica. It seems silly for such a small muscle to cause such big problems yet a shipmate ignored that pain for quite a few months and is now facing hip surgery with a military disability retirement. But the stretches are much less painful!

If you're spending a lot of time on the elliptical (same here, ouch again) then you may also want to be doing hamstring stretches-- the safe variety where you lie flat on a floor, loop a bath towel around your heel, and slowly pull your toes up to your nose for 30-60 seconds per leg. At least the bike will strengthen your hamstrings more than the elliptical (I think) but riding position can aggravate the ITB too.

As for me, back down to 189 and a lot scrawnier about the waist. We have a tae kwon do tournament in a couple months so this month has been less about the forms and more about the anaerobic metabolism. I'm usually all out of aerobics by the end of the first 30 minutes...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl
Wow, the last 2 days I was back up to 131...imagine my surprise to get on the scale and see 129 this morning!!!
Well, I missed a week because we were out of town on vacation. You know what that means...yep, gained 2#, back up to 131 Too many beers and oh so many lunches and dinners out...YUM! Oh well, paying the price now, back on the diet and exercise plan!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #240

Hit my goal weight a couple of days ago. (245).

Same weight a I was 50 years ago when I was playing ball.

But a check in a full view mirror, shows it's distributed in a different way.

I've always liked Clint Eastwood, both as an actor and a director, but Clint, I've got a suggestion for you. "Keep your shirt on."

Incidentally, I tried "Weight Watchers" for a week or so, but ran into brick wall. I switched to Atkins, no carbs, and it went off quick.

For a Carnivor like me, the idea of eating a steak, and a large salad with Blue Cheese Dressing, doesn't seem like a diet. But staying away from carbs is challenging.

Anyway, I reached my goal, but doubt if I'll be modeling underwear anytime in the near future.

Good luck to you all.